Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default exhaust leak between head and header

I have a very slight (annoying) leak between the head and header gasket. The engine head (exhaust side port) was plained but I should have plained the header before putting it on. Anyhow, now there is a slight leak. I've tried to re-tork the bolts. To pull the header requires raising the engine..dont feel like going there if I dont have to. Could I double up the gaskets to take out the slight imperfection or has anyone heard of remflex gaskets or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Try the Percy's carbon gaskets, Summit has 'em.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Red RTV is another option. (w/ copper gaskets)

Last edited by Ronbo; 06-03-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use SCE's soft copper header gaskets with Stage 8 locking header bolts with zero leaks.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I used doubled HP Felpro gaskets with good results.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

I finally solved my issues with Flatout Copper gaskets with NO EMBOSSMENT. They are one of the few who sell the copper for my engine without the embossment. RTV around the ports and torqued down with ARP 3/8" head bolts did the trick.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Legendary Autos, 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I too had a header leak on my 427 FE. Tried all the available options including the "soft Copper". Each time i would think I had problem solved but leak came back. Finally heard about Rimflex. Gave them a try and leak has never come back !!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I use double glued exhaust gaskets

cobraman428 I use a double gasket of the cheap Felpros or Mr Gasket ones. Add a thin coat of Hi temp RTV from Permatex on both sides. Tight the bolts together starting at the ends. Do the final torque spec from the middle ones out both ways. I slot the 2 ends so the gasket drops in with the end bolts on. If you have a problem with this get longer bolts and work from the center out. When done, let the RTV setup for 12 hours, don't fire up the motor until this time. Also have car outside and not in garage, bad smell, and some smoke. Do a couple of 5-10 runs and let cool off, no full throttle runs. You you keep loosing gaskets, you could have one of 2 problems, either the surfaces are not flat on the header flanges or too much back pressure in the exhaust. Check the holes in the flange of the header to clearance of each bolt to the hole, there should be about 1/8 of front to back play. If not, this will bind and pinch the flange. This could cause it to warp enough to also cause gasket failures again. Try and check the flange with a straight edge piece of steel and see if everything is good. Rick L.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Remflex good......
Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 fia kmp#325
Not Ranked     

At one time, I too was in your position with the header gaskets. I got a set of Remflex (cost a little more) and have never looked back. I forget what the crush factor was, but again they have worked great for me. I don't think I'll ever go any other way in the future.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Neutral     

Remflex really good.....
Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 428 FE
Not Ranked     

What up with the "Do not click this?"
Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I used the copper gaskets and the Stage8 bolts . As I remember (A) to the original part number made the bolts a
1/4" longer to take advantage more of the threads available in the alluminum heads and I have the CobraJet heads which have both bolt patterns full sized car and truck (over and under) and Mustang -Fairlaine (in front and back) of each port. With the ends of the header flanges bobed I have 14 bolts per side all tightened and locked. The center two bolts on each side had to be wired because the locks wouldn't fit against the header tubing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: