Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Indiana Cobra Enthusiasts (ICE)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-23-2004, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to get involved...

Gang,

I have decided to take the "Cobra Plunge" in the next few months (after I prep my garage) and would like to get involved with the Club. Of course at this point I have no car, but if there are any get-togethers I would like to show up, ask questions, get opinions etc, before making my decision as to what kit to purchase.

Along those lines, if any of you would like a hand, I would happy to assist if your too embarassed to ask your wife.

Of interest, I am the Regional Sales/Applications rep for FLOW International Waterjet, which is the same "water cutting" machine used on Orange County Choppers. I have easy access to this equipment and. as a favor, could possibly assist with some of your custom metal fab needs...Aluminum, Stainless, Kevlar, you name it.

Looking forward of hearing from some of you,

Tim Fabian
Old 08-24-2004, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Tim

Templates are in the mail to you

Check out some of the other 'Thread" on this I.C.E forum and you will see a few guys down in Evansville and Newburg.

I spent some time with them last year during the Run N Gun and I'm sure they will make you welcome.

In a few months the Run N Gun will be held down at Gateway Raceway near St. Louis so it may be worth while taking a few days R + R down there and meeting heaps of enthusiasts.

Chase up George Anderson, Rick Lake, Rich Pickles and Wayne Turpin as those guys are the organisers of activities at the Run N Gun.

Just watch it if George Anderson offers you a Georgia Moon with a smile on his face.

Check out the Run N Gun "Thread" for phone numbers etc.

www.kni-time@bigpond.com finds me..

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Tell 'em Bernie sent you

Tim

I just checked the "Threads" below yours on this forum, and there are a few that I have started that have the guys from Indiana on it. You may want to read them. You will see some names and locations down south west.

Those guys welcomed me. So I guess they will welcome anyone Tell 'em Bernie sent you

Lets know how you go there..

Cheers

Bernie
Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernie,

You're a long way from Indiana....do they know what a Hoosier is on the Big Island?

Thanks for your help!

Tim
Old 08-25-2004, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim

Most will say a brand of car tyre/tire!!

I did see that it was referred to the Hoosier State. Must be honest and say that I just cannot recal the significance of the name/word??

Tim just where are you in Indiana? You will pick up that Evansville and Newburg are right down south west if I get my directions right. Hwy 66 area.

Make sense?

Cheers

Bernie
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernie,

I live in Avon (just west of Indy). Funny thing abou the word "Hoosier" is that nobody here really knows its origin. Popular consensus is that its root is the large number of german immigrants that settled in the Indiana area (particularly in the South). They say that when visitors arrived, they would call out "Who's Yer?". Supposedly, word spread about the German people in Southern Indiana and they were referred to the "Whosyers" or as we know it today the "Hoosiers".

Thats my history lesson for the day. Of course, I moved here a little over a year ago from the Chicago area, but this is how it has been explained to me a couple of times.

Working in Machine Tool Sales, I frequent the Evansville area quite a bit. There is some good manufacturing activity nearby with Whirlpool, Toyota and a good deal of other manufacturing....but most importantly, Wolf's Barbecue! (good stuff...) I am about 2 1/2 hours away, but that isn't too bad. I put about 40,000 miles a year on my 2003 Ford Taurus so if there is anything I'm used to doing its sitting in a car!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I think the name was given to the people of the state before the civil war. Dang, I used to live in Evansville and had ( forced ) to take Indiana history. I must have been asleep in that class.

Anyway, welcome Tim. What car are you looking at?

Are you building? Buying? Shopping?
Got an engine and trans in mind?

Bernie may try to sway you to the 'dark side'. We would hate to see that happen. LOL

You are close to Ohio and Chicago, both have very fine clubs and may be able to help you with your mission.

Welcome.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

trularin,

I am currently shopping. It is extremely tough to sort out all the propaganda. I have looked at many and considered a few. Here are my thoughts on three of them that I am considering...

Cutting Edge Replicas....Very nicely detailed, well built, comes with just about everything, but more money

Unique....deluxe pallet kit just as complete as Cutting Edge's but less money....built good, but not as good as the Cuting Edge

Antique and Collectibles....this is my budget choice if I want to build this thing $5,000 at a time

I will be buying the Shelby Aluminum 427 and Alum Heads. She is going to be a roller and I am still wavering on Fuel Injection or Carb. Trans will either be a toploader or Richmond Gear. Not sure if the Tremec is sturdy enough.

Now I see that you have a lonestar, which admittedly I haven't thoroughly checked out. They don't have any pricing on the web and I haven't requested any info....yet. I am still investigating and will probably be making a spring purchase. The whole purpose of my original post here was to expose myself to the different cars and talk with people who have put them together...thus helping me make a decision.

The one thing I know for sure is that I am not interested in a 5.0 donor kit.

So, what is "the dark side"?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Shock, horror - the Dark Side - the other side

Don't mention the 'Dark side' and my name in the same sentence.

The 'Dark Side' as the guys over on the 'Australian forum' refer is the sinister group who are building Cobras using the LS1 motors.

Now Chevs. in Cobras is just not on. Now, I know Shelby did it but..

We have a problem with meeting our registration design rules and the LS1 engines are an easy option as they met all the current pollution etc. requirements.

Now I must say that the guys here are getting some serious HP out of the LS1. See the 'Australian Forum' Threads and Posts.

I saw a number of Hoosier State signs around and felt it may have had some link to our overseas friends. Then I thought it may have had a link to the Quakers.

I stayed in Indy for a night or two. Right next to the track at the Brickyard Motel there. Caught up with some locals just south in town on a Saturday who were using the old ball park car parking area for a car club meet.

Was over for the 'Run N Gun' as I mentioned.

See how you go chasing Wayne Turpin up when next down in Evansville. You will pick phone details up on the other "Thread" here and on the 'Run N Gun' site.

What car to get??

After looking at the Superformance at Costa Mesa Cal. I was really impressed. We have one over here in Melbourne Victoria. Its owned by "Justbetter" on the Australian forum.

I was also very impressed with the Backdraft cars I saw at Gateway Raceway at the 'Run N Gun'. The race car there performed liked a Go Kart it just hung on and on. Nice kit.

Bob Kallio from Midstates was also there and I found his Cobra kit very good also. I'm just on six foot and with his lowered footwells I was comfortable in his Cobra. The body was also of a high standard.

The FFR cars that were there appeared to be all built on the donor car configuration that they promote and it appears to be a good cheaper option that you can add too.

The FFR owners also seem to get on well together and get good support from Dennis and the gang.

Just my $.02 worth.

I used a Homebush body that was a copy of the early Arntz that came into Australia. See my gallery.

The rest was built up in a local race shop.

Are you confused on what Cobra kit to get?

Well wait until you start selecting the colour to paint??

Cheers

Bernie

www.kni-time@bigpond.com