Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > JBL-- JBL Larry G.

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Mark, I hope my EFI works better than that too. I would not dink with it for that long before going back to carb though if it does not perform well early on.

What were the issues with the Accel?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

prob have 10 reasons to take it off and only a few to keep it, right now.

i think it is more complicated then it needs to be, prob aimed at the street crowd who use boost, nitrous, and need a host of switchable stuff--the guys who drive on the street and do 1/4 mile at a time. the programming and support and instructions i would say are not there for somebody like myself who does not have any experience. the hardware is too fragile imo.

i learned a lot and would do a better job if i were to do it again, wouldn't be accel though. support wise--if you know somebody who is fluent in your system, and willing to help, and will take the time to help, you're prob alright. i couldn't find anybody who would take the time, the guy who i bought the system from would email info, but only what i would ask, not any background or if i did this then do this kind of stuff, nothing intuitive. the instructions and how to from accel are very lacking. the software had idiosyncricies such as some tables were accessible sometimes and not others, or you could only access if the calibration was downloaded to the laptop and then reloaded to the controller.

the car ran pretty good, started fine, but the last few details like cruise and getting the tables exactly where they needed to be eluded me.

the last email with the guy i purchased it from he suggested i buy a pro key since i was coming along pretty well, i had to laugh at this one. the other day i pulled into the shop and there was a warning light flashing because i had set a code and i took this as a sign to ditch the system. when i pulled the distributor there was something rattling around inside, which turned out to be 3 plastic parts and a 3-prong diode looking thing, this was a new accel dual sync distributor with no more than 5 hrs. run time, this is the kind of stuff i'm talking about when i say accel is junk.

efi is nice if everything is working properly, but i also considered if i'm away from home or at the track, and something is amiss, i have to hook up a laptop and reprogram or find the electrical problem or wonder if it is the black box, and there is nobody to help--who is the nearest guy who knows anything about the system that can actually look at it and not shoot emails back and forth. carbs and distributors are very, very simple.

like i said, the car started and ran good from the get go, accelerated great and could hit 120 pretty easy, but the accel efi setup did not live up to my expectations. i tried.

right now i've got a rpm air gap dual plane intake on with 1" open spacer which should give me the down low torque and high end power and going to use a 1 wire hei style distributor (no msd), pretty simple.

good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here you go john, efi to carb in 1.5 wks.

definitely don't miss the efi! wide band showed good afr and was real snappy off idle, i think it ran better possibly because of the manifold, was a little sluggish off idle with the efi sup vic.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

That's a quick transformation. Glad the carb is getting you the performance you want. My EFI is supposed to be self-learning so that it quickly populates the tables with the right fuel mix at a given RPM and load. Hope it works out. I have had good luck with carbs too. The AFR on my Classic Roadster Cobra was spot on. It was a Proform 950 carb on the 521 BBF. I verified it a few times with the Innovate LC-1 wideband meter.

Today I made some wiring progress. Wiring and bleeding the clutch and brakes are about all I need to finish. Wired up the electric fan and electric water pump relays, fuses etc. using weatherproof connectors. Still need to finish ignition and dash wiring. SO I may be able to start up the go-kart in a week or so. May be a bit longer since I am losing a couple of wrenching days by going to Tulsa, but I am sure the trip will inspire me more if that is possible.

Last edited by jdean; 06-24-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i hear the guys are going to have some margarita lube if you bring it up they'll probably finish it for you!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

john, did a search on powerjection, you're the only one on this website that came up, pretty unique!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, that is surprising. Seems like over on the FFR forum a few have taken to the new Powerjection III lately. I should be able to do a first start up on it this week.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default JBL Go-Kart drive

Hooray! - I've just about finished everything on the chassis. Took it for a drive in the alley today. Over time I will need to fine tune the EFI some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGoNqbD0CWc
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

good job. you gonna make it to run n gun? wayne posted on the other forum how to tune the p3 that might be useful.

on the videos, um, they only lasted about 10 seconds? you think you could fix this? just kidding. good job.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

It is over 100 degrees here today, and my wife took the videos.....I am lucky they lasted as long as they did!!

John
Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark, I looked around on the FFR forum but could not find the post you mentioned where Wayne discusses tuning the P3...could you send to me?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Niiiice gitrdone good luck on that EFI tuning..
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In getting close to finishing the chassis....a simple thing was one that drove me crazy....bleeding the MC for the hydraulic clutch. I tried pumping it, vacuuming it, forcing fluid in it and it never would build any pressure. Spent tons of frustrating time on it.

Finally Richard Parker gave me another Wilwood MC to try....bingo it worked. 10 minutes to fix it. Looks like I had got new one that was bad for some reason, but replacing it solved it. I knew I wasn't crazy, (at least that day.)
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a pic of the go-kart being loaded up for the trip to Larry's shop yesterday. I am real pleased with the JBL design and quality of Larry's work. Can't wait to get it on the road.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looks nice. years from now when somebody removes the body they'll find the qa1 and wilwood stickers and believe they have a "find".

what kind of tires and rims you sportin there sport?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rims are BRMs from Vintage. This style is normally associated with GT40s. The fronts are 8.5" wide and the rears are 11" wide....the rears I had custom widened because these do not come with backspacing that fit the JBL.

Tires are Sumitomo HRZ...rears are 315s and fronts are 255 (I think)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 ci alum block
Not Ranked     

What time frame to completion is Larry quoting?

David
Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He thinks it will take a month or so.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

see the fast efi system similiar to projection is going to come out with port injection maybe within next couple months. be interesting to see how that works and pricing. i do miss the efi.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would be cool if FAST Easy EFI also comes out with a version that controls ignition too.