Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

We never like our build to go that long but in the last few years parts availibility has been more and more difficult for us builders to deal with. We use a custom Edelbrock casting for our engines that are not a standard part number. We must order 40 sets of these at a time to get our orders, because of this it often takes some time to get our castings. Not only do we run into parts issues we have about a 30 engine and 15 shortblock backlog that we are trying to work thru. We only have 5 guys as this is the best way to insure quality work. Even when all parts are there is takes some time to get everything worked thru the shop. We are considering listing builds with 6 months - 8 month lead times to avoid this. If you want a good quality engine it will take time, otherwise it may be best to get a cookie cutter engine somewhere else. We have a good reputation and are not out to take advantage of anyone. We are there everyday trying to get everyone's dream engines done. We have not fled and left you without money or an engine. I am happy to refund your deposit if this is an issue. Your threatening calls or this post does not speed the order up unfortunately.

Thanks
cobra, bwcobra15 and Dwight like this.

www.craftperformanceengines.com
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftEngines View Post
I am happy to refund your deposit if this is an issue. Your threatening calls or this post does not speed the order up unfortunately.
And so it goes.... Just another reason why any sane person would only do this Cobra stuff as a hobby.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

As is so often the solution to problems, especially misunderstanding: communicate, communicate, communicate.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Stefun17

I spent about 3 months total in Strasbourg France area last year. My first trip was 1985, and was there many times. All company business. Unfortunately, I believe it was my last visit. I love the country and the people I have met over the years.

I understand your concerns. It is certainly a bigger issue when you are doing business internationally. You didn't have the option to hop in a car and drive to the shop and talk face to face. I understand you were trying to figure out from a third party if there was something going on that you were unaware of.

However anything said on the net is there forever. No company wants bad press on the net. You can do unintentional harm to a company just by mentioning there name.

I have talked to Lance face to face and always believed he was a great guy. I have known the company reputation for decades. I think you are safe and have no worries other than this is going to take more time than expected. Things have changed for people in this business. I take Lance at his word that lead times have grown.
Dwight likes this.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Tony Loy was the guy who I primarily worked with on my engine. I haven't talked to him in 3 or 4 years but as far as I know he is still there.

This was his email - I suspect still good.

Tony Loy <tony67kcr@yahoo.com>,
Old 02-17-2019, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Wow.. Not the response I would have imagined from someone I am giving my money too.
My brother always told me, when things go bad very rarely do they work out. I would take my refund and find a quality engine builder like Brent or Barry to work with. Life is too short to deal with excuse after excuse. We have all been there. It gets old fast.
Kobura likes this.

Last edited by sea2jet; 02-17-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Hopefully this works out fine. Having owned a business for 30 + years (I am out
of the rat race now and loving it), it costs nothing to talk about what is going on
with a customer when there is a problem. If Lance had talked to Stefan 17 when
he first called, or shortly thereafter, I doubt if this would have appeared on this forum. There is no excuse for a lack of communication with the customer. IMHO
Old 02-17-2019, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

FYI:
Stage II Street to Mild Race
Stage III Wild Street to Full Race
I would consult with them before changing to Stage III to save time. When I asked about taking my Windsor based Dart to 468", Tony said it would drastically shorten the life of the engine and to stick with 427" for long term reliability.
I've only dealt with them once, but if you decide to stick with them, my belief is they will do what is right for you.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

I would think that if the customer is going to Forums it is because they are not making headway with their contact at the supplier. That may or may not be due to the customer speaking another language and being in Europe.

But the fact that a part or parts is not available is not the buyers problem. If the builders supplier can't ship or whatever, it is the builders problem. It only becomes the buyers problem if the builder makes the buyer aware and the buyer is ok with a further delay. If the buyer is not fine with it then either the builder and buyer should change or cancel the order.
It doesn't matter how good the quality is, doesn't matter if it is a custom engine or a cookie cutter engine. A company doesn't get an open ended ship date just because they make a good product, other companies also make a good product. I work for Lockheed Martin and we build the F35 and it is completely custom aircraft and basically every part is unique for this aircraft only and this is exactly how we deal with our suppliers.

Yes I have a Keith Craft engine, yes every time I have talked to anyone at Keith Craft Engines (now Craft Engines) I have gotten answers and parts in a timely fashion. I have no issues at all with Craft Engines and would buy another engine from them if I needed another engine.

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
FYI:
Stage II Street to Mild Race
Stage III Wild Street to Full Race
I would consult with them before changing to Stage III to save time. When I asked about taking my Windsor based Dart to 468", Tony said it would drastically shorten the life of the engine and to stick with 427" for long term reliability.
I've only dealt with them once, but if you decide to stick with them, my belief is they will do what is right for you.
I have stage 3 heads and the big valves in my FE. No problems with driveability and it certainly won’t impact durability or engine life..

Again I would just sit tight - more time than you planned on but you are going to forget all about that when you finally get to fire it up!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Lance, thank you very much for this answer that makes me more confident. Also I want to trust you, especially with these exchanges on the Forum and your answer. Do you have an idea of ​​a delivery date (June, July, August?) In case of too late delivery I will ask for the reimbursement of my first payment.
I belong to ClubCobra France and we have important events for which I wish to exhibit the car (Cobra Days, Circuit du Castellet, Goodwood ...). I would just like a accurate delivery commitment to organize myself financially and materially) for the assembly of the car.
So can you confirm to me that you have in stock the other pieces and that you only miss the cylinder head ?
Have you started to assemble the lower part of the engine?
If you have Stage III cylinder heads in stock is it possible to install them instead of Stage II to unlock the situation? If yes, is there a price difference ?
So many unanswered questions to date, I am open to find solutions but please do not leave me without answer because my initial order is dated from July 2018 and you understand that it is legitimate to ask these questions today.
I give you my personal email to continue these exchanges. stouchard@intelis-consulting.fr
Thanks Stéphane
Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good evening, I received today a very complete email from Lance who explains the difficulties with their subcontractor, his apologies and his commitment for a shipping date.
I am very satisfied and thank you for your answers and also for having contributed so that I can obtain this information. Best regards, Stéphane
bwcobra15, olddog, DanEC and 4 others like this.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Sooooo...… four months have gone by. Did you get your engine?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Shelby Engine Co has heads in stock ready to ship. Dozens of FE motors in different configurations in stock ready to ship. I know this for Fact as I just bought my motor parts from Bill Denbeste. Joe the engine builder is very good, If I were you get your money back and PM me... I will get you in touch with The people ant Shelby Engine Co.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: