Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 742 HP / 709 ft lbs Torque

I just wanted to post my sincere thanks to Keith for the great engine he just completed for me. I told Keith I dreamed of a reliable, low maintenance Shelby block street engine that would deliver around 700 hp and be aesthetically pleasing in my new SPF. Together we discussed the various ways to fulfill my dream; the pros & cons of cast vs. billet cranks and rods, solid or hydraulic rollers, single vs. dual plane intakes and webers, 2x4’s or big ‘ol single quads. When we were done planning, he promised me a 700 hp/675 tq engine on pump gas. I did my best to wait patiently… and was I ever rewarded !!! This engine made 635 foot lbs of torque at 4000 and pulled 709 at 5000. It still made 616 at 6100 and 608 at 6200. It was making 570 at 3000 rpms !!!!! That’s a lot of torque! As for horsepower, well, it made 685 hp at 5200 and pulled 742 hp at 6700 rpms. It was still making 681 hp at 7400 rpms on one of the pulls!!! Every reading between 5900 and 6900 rpms was somewhere in the 730’s !

I couldn’t be more pleased. This engine is a big bore Shelby at 4.380 with a LAE Kryptonite billet crankshaft (4.375) displacing 527 cid. It’s got a custom hydraulic roller (Yes, it idles at 900 rpm!) with Craft Racing CNC Edlebrock heads, custom JE pistons (10.8:1) Lunatti billet rods, polished victor intake, DaVinci 950 and polished water pump. We lightened up the valve train for increased rpms with titanium valves & retainers. Not only does it produce… it’s gorgeous also !

Keith also just finished a 428 for my brother with cast SCAT crank & rods that made 602 hp and 597 tq in a 463 cid package. That engine is headed for a 1968 Mustang Fastback. We pulled out the 289/C4 and this engine with a TKO should really breathe some giddyup into the classic ‘stang.

Anyway… I normally prefer a low profile and like to lurk… but I just had to share these details with people who can appreciate this information (my wife says it all mumbo-jumbo to her!).

Last edited by Dave Rodak; 10-27-2004 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-07-2004, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Dave,

That's amazing! As Carroll would say, "too much is about right".

Better install a long-throw accelerator pedal so you can keep the wheel spin under conrol. That will probably be a great setup for the new sport of "drifting".

Have fun,
Paul
Old 02-07-2004, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow and I thought the 700 club was some Christian programing show! They're bringing FE's back to being respectable performers! Have fun and be safe!
Old 02-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey bud, thats great news!!!! How about some pics.......we need pics!!!!

Brian

p.s. now what did you say Keith's phone # was???? If he can do 742, I'm sure he can do 752!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Dave, I've been in a 600 hp SPF and it was hairy. Your machine is going to fly. Congratulations. That KCR builds some wicked engines. Get us some 1/4 times when you are up and running. Wish I could see you suck up some Vipers, Vettes and anything else on the road
Old 02-07-2004, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Hey!!!! So much for wanting to keep things "quiet"!!! I've been good and never posted anything about your new car, and here you are opening up to the entire Cobra world! I guess, after getting the HP / TQ figures back from Keith you couldn't help yourself............I wouldn't be able to either!

Congrats on building that new MONSTER of yours. Be easy on me when we go cruising this summer, or I'll turn around and go home (I hate being embarrassed!). Can't wait to see it when it's all put together!

Between you and Brian, who has the "smaller feet" !? You guys are getting CRAZY! If I can't take you guys on the street, I'll have to get my wins on the Golf course.

Keep the shiney side up, my friend! Terry
Old 02-08-2004, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

Congrats on your new engine. I was just thinking of you this weekend and wondering how your new ride was coming along. Sounds fantastic! Best of luck.

Jack Z.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Incredible numbers, my wife sells insurance and when I tell her 618 RWHP she simply turns white. Be thankful you wife thinks it mumbo jumbo so she doesn't look at you like your already dead!!! My wife thinks I went over board so I had her read your numbers
Old 02-08-2004, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Dave,

Great news. Couple of questions....

- How long was the build from request to completion?
- How easy was it doing business with these guys?

I am 'pondering' the purchase of one of his 331 ci 575 HP SBs for my Mustang race car.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Dave,

Congrats on the wicked engine. Your motor is exactly something that I would like to have some day.

What kind of exhaust -- header, header pipe size, side pipes, etc -- do you plan on using? It would be a shame to choke down such a nice powerful engine.

Will that intake fit under the hood and still allow for an air cleaner and whatnot that will not choke things down?

What kind of transmisson do you plan to use and what do you expect the chassis hp numbers to be once the engine is installed with full accessories etc?

Thanks for the comments,

Mark
Old 02-08-2004, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by John McMahon

- How long was the build from request to completion?

Keith promised 8 weeks and was true to his word and delivered my brothers 428 in only 6 weeks. Call him... he will tell it like it is.

- How easy was it doing business with these guys?
I didn't have a single issue... and the five guys I talked to as references had the same experience (or so they said!) I told Keith what I wanted... he told me what I'd need to do to get there. I tried to upgrade a few items and he talked me out of them. I think all the good builders will do the same in that regard. Ultimately... Keith under promised and over delivered... the perfect recipe for a happy customer. I have received 12 private emails (so far!) asking basically this same question... and I told them the same thing. However, I've had a few people complain so please feel free to contact me offline for any additional info... I love talking about this stuff!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey bud, what are those idiots complaining about now???

Must have been the SB guys doing all the whining

B.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Monroe

Hey Dave,

Congrats on the wicked engine. Your motor is exactly something that I would like to have some day.

What kind of exhaust -- header, header pipe size, side pipes, etc -- do you plan on using? It would be a shame to choke down such a nice powerful engine.

Thanks... I had the same concerns. I talked with Keith about header tube dimensions (effect on TQ & Hp) and then sourced a set of custom polished SS headers and sidepipes for my new car. I've been taking some heat off line about name dropping and brand/product -promoting so I'll shoot you private message about my SS headers & pipes. Seems some people are a little touchy about this stuff !

Will that intake fit under the hood and still allow for an air cleaner and what not that will not choke things down?

Yup, it should. I used custom motor mounts and the SPF's have a slightly taller hood scoop.

What kind of transmisson do you plan to use and what do you expect the chassis hp numbers to be once the engine is installed with full accessories etc?

I'm using a TKO initially while I eyeball the new TKO 600 series or a T56. We'll see. As for the RWHP, my install is being done a Keith Craft Motorsports in Plano, TX. Drew is going to chassis dyno everything when we're done so I can let you know then.

Thanks for the comments

You're very welcome. I'll keep you posted on my progress... I gained a great deal of knowledge from other peoples posts like this one... I'll be pleased if I can return the favor somehow...

Last edited by Dave Rodak; 02-08-2004 at 05:16 PM..
Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Zupan

Dave,

Congrats on your new engine. I was just thinking of you this weekend and wondering how your new ride was coming along. Sounds fantastic! Best of luck.

Jack Z.

Thanks Jack... long time no talk !!! I'll call you this week to catch up.

Dave
Old 02-08-2004, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry You can't please everyone.......

Quote:
Originally posted by bnewell

Hey bud, what are those idiots complaining about now???

Must have been the SB guys doing all the whining

B.

Geez... just replying to this will probably provoke another avalanche of nasty stuff. I'm not naming names or divulging identities because this stuff came to me offline, but some apparently see these kinds of threads as some kind of self promotion. My intent was to share my uncontrollable & unbridled joy at the results achieved by Keith. Dean Rosen & Mark Dove lent a great deal of assistance as well. I see how this can all be misinterpreted... and I understand some thinking I'm bragging... but I'm just damn happy and sharing it ! I didn't intend to offend anyone.

You know... I did a lot of research and planning (and negotiating!) to get to this point with this dream... I just want to share it with people who understand and feel likewise !

P.S. I need to resize some photos... I'll try to post those later.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

fvck'em.......you posted it under the correct forum and you can bet your a$$ that there are more people interested in your numbers and your build than the morons screaming "self-promotion".

I don't care if Keith himself devulged the information or one of his satisfied customers......it is information that the cobra community needs and wants to know. At least I do!!

Just my opinion bud

B.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

..........DITO what Brian said.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Dave

Can you tell us where you had the SS Exhaust System made...

Thanks

Morris
Old 02-08-2004, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Dave I have not talked to you since you made this post. I can not for the life of me understand why this would make people mad. You did not even post it in the FE Forum for most of the FE guys to see. I would not let a few jealous people spoil what is a great and well planned out project. I am glad we could be involved in such a nice project. Thanks Keith Craft
Old 02-08-2004, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I too, can't figure out why people get mad over posts like this. I remember the last time Keith posted results of a build he did for someone here (I think it was Baldwins engine) some folks came out and questioned his reasons for posting. Some called it "advertising"........Keith already pays to advertise here. I call it "interesting", "informative" AND enjoyable reading. I always enjoy reading about Keith's high HP builds, and it's interesting to me to see what parts he's using on each engine.
Isn't this a "open forum"? People should be able to post what ever they want to talk about, "advertise / brag" about, and discuss and get feedback from others. Those of you that aren't interested in where the FE engine is heading (and I think Keith is showing us the way), then move on to another topic. Jeeeez, do you sit there in front of your TV and watch something that comes on that you aren't interested in, or do you change the channel?
Dave and Keith..............Brag away. It's informative and I love reading about this $hit and learning everything I can. That's the main reason I joined CC to begin with! Don't let a few jealous a-holes change that.