Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Have we ruled out Elvis, mullets...
Now hold on there, I just had mullet last week and it was absolutely delicious. A little Elvis in the background would have been nice with it too.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP-216S Kirkham Street '66 428 PI
Not Ranked     

I don't understand how all this interior work makes the car go faster.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmart View Post
I don't understand how all this interior work makes the car go faster.
Hi Kurt!
Got some pics of your car?
Love the street style!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know, after thinking about it....THIS SHOULD BE MY THREAD!, but for the part about the interiors.

I'll have to think of a different name for my SOHC thread someday.

Maybe Knock's Kammer Kirkham.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Maybe Knock's Kammer Kirkham.
That would be the wurst..... get it, knockwurst.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That would be the wurst..... get it, knockwurst.
I believe that qualifies for the poorest humor of the new year.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I believe that qualifies for the poorest humor of the new year.
x2.......

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead27 View Post
... almost half way through his BSME... Most of that time is spent finishing up an engineering degree.
Where are you going to school?

Your tastes will change long before you can afford what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I got to ask...
What can you do to an FFR to have it go to close to costing what a Kirkham would?

Just Curious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfordman View Post
I was wondering the same thing.........
These cars aren't in the same neighborhood, let alone the same league (not that either is bad!). He has many of us stymied on this one...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm going to New Mexico Tech for my degree. Usually, a FFR won't cost the same as a Kirkham. In this situation though, it wasn't far from it. The engine would require the very best parts for the running gear, which adds a little. Then a nice paint job, wheels, fuel lines, oil lines, cooling, etc. Everything quickly added up to almost the same price as a Kirkham. It wasn't exact, but pretty close to a minimum option Kirkham of around $60-65K. This is without the engine and transmission, in both brands. I was kind of surprised too.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

You could gold-plate the FFR and it wouldn't make a difference... it would then cost more than the K car, but it still wouldn't be in the same league with it. It appears that you are not understanding the point that many have tried to make here...
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
You could gold-plate the FFR and it wouldn't make a difference... it would then cost more than the K car, but it still wouldn't be in the same league with it. It appears that you are not understanding the point that many have tried to make here...

+1 on that.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I suppose if you don't turn your own wrenches (or pop rivet gun) then you would be near the same cost.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hold on here, I never said that FFR was in the same class as Kirkham. I just said that the two cost almost the same in this situation. Because of that, I'd rather go with a Kirkham.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Am I still missing something here or did the Kirkhams have another sale that I missed!! How can you say they will cost about the same?? The Kirkham is 60K to 65K as a roller. The FFR is 22K to 26K or more not as a roller (30K to make it a roller). So if my math is right your still looking at a swing of 30K to 35K to compare the two apples for apples. We ALL can agree you cannot compare the two in anyway except the share the same mirrors or something.

Now, if you want to put a SOHC in a FFR all the power to you BUT you never see 1/2 of your investment. Now, if you just happen to have a SOHC laying around and it has nothing "Better" to put it in again it's your deal. I've seen SOHC's in a Maverick, 67 F100, 69 Mustangs and wondered why?? Or really WTF! Now, a SOHC in a Kirkham would be pretty sweet. Your mating a incredible motor with a car of the same caliper... All the Cobra kits are relative to their costs. Example a Kirkham sells for more because well it cost more to begin with. A FFR (not that it's bad) is at the lower end of the scale, hence it's resale value. It's the same with ALL the Cobra's out there. Sure you might have some one that sells a FFR for 50K and that's a lucky seller. BUT, what do you think a FFR with a SOHC motor would resale for? Not much more than the cost of the motor, I would think.

Do the research here. You will find plenty of guy's that invested 120K or more in a Kirkham WITH OUT a SOHC motor in it. Do you have this motor? Do you have all the accessories to make this motor happen? I would be willing to bet you would spend another 15K just to make this motor "Right" in a car. The headers, the oil pan, the oiling system, the drive train upgrades, etc.... Hey, do what you want BUT listen to the wealth of knowledge here on this forum. They have all been there, done it and have the experiences!! Matt
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We are talking about an FE Cammer engine, correct? Well, if we are, then Barry R. has two of them. One is an original cast iron version for low 20K's and the other is a top of the line all aluminum aftermarket version in the 40K's:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/75943...7890977/Cammer

ME want.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys, in THIS situation, only this one, did a FFR and a Kirkham come close in price. The reason is due to all the parts that would be needed to handle this engine. There is a little bit of cost there. Then all the plumbing, there's a bit of cost there. The wheels, there's some cost there. A bunch of small things added up. Then lastly, I'd need more tools to build a FFR than to finish a Kirkham. I looked at every possible aspect of the build, and in the end, the difference between a cammer FFR and a cammer Kirkham would be roughly $10K. In the end, they are almost the same cost but one is better than the other. There have been FFRs that cost the owner close to $100K, and they built it themselves. It's possible for a FFR to cost almost the same as a Kirkham in the end. Not common, but can be done.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead27 View Post
There have been FFRs that cost the owner close to $100K...

The only way an FFR can cost you a hundred grand is if you run over somebody when you're driving it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The only way an FFR can cost you a hundred grand is if you run over somebody when you're driving it.
Now that's funny.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, you must of heard of the $425,000 Toyota Highlander of a certain former CA lawmaker?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAS11HM3UC.DTL
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Why is anybody getting worked up about this? He's 21 and in college, has no Kirkham, no SOHC, no money and no plans of buying or building anything for years and years. It's interesting yes but ultimately meaningless as all these prices will be different 5 or 10 years from now. It should have been presented as nothing more than hypothetical to begin with as any info given will be out of date and this thread archived and forgotten long before any of it gets used as anything more than a spreadsheet.

And before I get flamed for beating down a dream I've wanted a Cobra since I was 14 (1980) and by golly I finally got one. After I got married, bought a house, started a business, had kids etc, etc. Only took 24 years!