Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

check out the kmp and era and then next time you fly in to mci or ojc or ixd which are closer i will show you a jbl
Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
I supposes it depends....not just what type of pilot but when.

My parents' friend was a 747 pilot in the 60's and 70's for United. He did very well and retired comfortably. And stewardesses were called stewardesses. And feminine.

My friend's brother is a pilot for American. Night and day difference. And the stewardesses are not so nice (or good looking, or slim) flight attendants. And some even open inflatable slides on the tarmac and become folk heroes.

Progress, I suppose.
I said that jokingly I'm a pilot myself and our pay is absolutely laughable, unfortunately. I wished I could fly back in the top days of our profession, it was another world back then.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeh, I wish I was joking.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham # 561. Brushed Aluminum w polished stripes. Keith Craft build featuring a 427/482 Pond aluminum BB.
Not Ranked     
Default Era/kms

You don't have to buy your forever cobra now. Pick up what you can afford, shop well for an undervalued car you can make some money on or break even on later, and enjoy it for awhile before selling it when you're ready to move up to that perfect Kirkham. I went from a Spf to Kms 561. No regrets at all.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you, I think that's good advice. I'm considering a used ERA that's set up very nicely indeed. I loved the Kirkham I took a look at, but it's just too expensive for me right now.

Have to be honest, though, I am a bit of a perfectionist and have regretted only going 90% of the way a number of times before. So I have to be careful about that, too.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham # 561. Brushed Aluminum w polished stripes. Keith Craft build featuring a 427/482 Pond aluminum BB.
Not Ranked     
Default Era/kms

A couple thoughts: you're in VERY like minded company here fly F/grl. Few among us are NOT perfectionistic. We are picayune about the smallest of minutae, require a very high standard in many areas of our lives, enjoy and prefer our stuff precision crafted, and probably have strained a relationship or two with our very high expections. And, Like Thomas Wolfe, we all have the simplist of tastes, as we are always satisfied with the best. So, welcome to the club.

Thought two. Unless you are going to add webers (or something similar), billboard tires, larger wheels, a polished stainless exhaust or do an engine swap, these are NOT expensive cars to maintain. Indeed, a Cobra is a very cheap car to maintain. So, unless you are out flogging it regularly you won't be needing much money to maintain it.

Simply buy the car that comes closest to being set up the way you want it. And if it's not your forever cobra, try to spend as little as possible on big ticket changes. Leave those for the one who buys it from you.

And finally, know that most of the higher end cars are already set up beautifully and are gorgeous in all ways right out of the box, ready to enjoy without spending one dime on other than for fuel (and you'll need a few bucks for that, as these cars often don't get more than 8 miles a gallon).
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thunder Road

If you want to experience driving a cobra, the only way you can do this it to buy an original or buy a Kirkham. This isn't saying the others are bad, but all use different types of frames, bodies and suspension systems. The Kirkham was engineered from an original car. You can purchase the Kirkham set up like the original, suspension and all, or upgrade to Billit suspension parts. I recommend the later. My car is painted, however, many of the owners prefer the natural finish, either polished or satin. Just like any car, you have to take care of it. The aluminum doesn't seem to have any additional problems over paint, but both take some time to keep up.

All reproductions can be built and driven to enjoy the essesence of a cobra, but only the Kirkham really reproduces the original experience. You have to decide if that's important to you. If not, a less expensive replica may serve your purpose.

If you meld the Kirkham chassis with a 90 degree V small block or a FE big block, you can really appreciate what the drivers from the 1960s went through to win races. They are a handful.

The other refreshing part of a Kirkham purchase is the guys that sell you cars are the same guys that engineered them. That is a rare commodity these days. They stand behind what they sell, and they sell the best.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I started to comment point by point on the post above, but realized I was typing too much.

Bottom line, I completely disagree with just about every point.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The real benefit of doing business with either ERA or Kirkham is that you don't need to do a background check on the folks you will be dealing with and you can feel comfortable leaving a large check with either of them on nothing more than their word and a handshake to back it all up.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrrd View Post
If you want to experience driving a cobra, the only way you can do this it to buy an original or buy a Kirkham.

All reproductions can be built and driven to enjoy the essesence of a cobra, but only the Kirkham really reproduces the original experience. You have to decide if that's important to you. If not, a less expensive replica may serve your purpose.
I would take the Pepsi Challenge that blindfolded, 9 out of 10 people would pick my rickety old 427 FE Hurricane over your refined Kirkham as "the more realistic sounding, smelling, riding and handling Cobra."

I think a better argument can be made that if you want the original experience, meaning a roughly-assembled, poorly finished, poorly wired, rough-around ALL edges, heat-soaked, unfit, unrefined, unforgiving, tooth-rattling, just-on-the-edge race car, DON'T buy a Kirkham. Frankly, the Kirkhams would have to dial it waaaay back a few notches to deliver what you got from Shelby in the 60s. Which brings me to an idea. Hey David, Fender guitars charges double for their "Relic Stratocasters".....which they weather and abuse to look circa 1960's. How 'bout a Relic Kirkham?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

I have been following this thread since the begining. just a couple of things. When doing my resaearch and decided on ERA I called and chatted with "the boys" about the deposit check. I inquired about a contract. " we don't do contracts, if you want to make one up we'll look at it and if we like it we'll sign it. " I sent the money to them with no contract and never looked back nor was I ever dissappointed. Just great guys to deal with. I went with the FIA becasue they handle better than the BB's, less understeer, I like the smaller flares, and there aren't nearly as many on the road making mine more unique.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitekit View Post
I sent the money to them with no contract and never looked back nor was I ever dissappointed.
I'll beat that -- Peter didn't even figure out what I owed him until a couple of weeks after my car was delivered to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitekit View Post
I went with the FIA becasue they handle better than the BB's, less understeer, I like the smaller flares, and there aren't nearly as many on the road making mine more unique.
Nothing that a tickle of the gas pedal can't resolve in a BB.

Snakebitekit - congrats of the ERA FIA, I've never seen one in person, but like all things ERA I'm sure its "Quality".
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I like all of the replica's. Buying any of these cars shows that you are really a car guy. It may interest you to know that many clients of Kirkham Motor Sports purchase their cars strictly to race. That is why the Kirkhams introduces their hybred cross between the FIA and the 427 S/C. The wide body car is not as aerodynamic as the FIA.

When you talk about a raw race car, the Kirkham is as raw as they come. A tube chassis with rivited aluminun body panels. No power steering and no power brakes. You can even order a lightweight model that when mated with an all aluminun small block comes in at around 1900 pounds.

These cars are raced continually.

If you think this is cool, wait until they come out with the coupe.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend...
Don't worry about that -- no one around here offends easily. By the way, have you ever driven one of our Cobras? ie, Kirkham, ERA, Backdraft, SPF, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yep, Superformance, Factory Five, Hurricane and one from California, can't remember the name. Own a Kirkham.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yep, Superformance, Factory Five, Hurricane and one from California, can't remember the name. Own a Kirkham.
Sounds good. Don't worry about offending people, I do it all the time. And welcome aboard.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No power steering and no power brakes.
Wow, I had no idea. I guess they don't have power mirrors either?

Just giving you a little of what I got when I arrived here. . I think that what constitutes the "cobra experience" is highly subjective and for that reason, each person should be able to see and feel for themselves what constitutes that experience. To call out one "brand" above all others because it happens to be your brand and then make a blanket statement suggests that no matter what she buys, Flygirl can't have the Cobra experience unless she buys what you bought.

I looked at Kirkhams in the fall of 2009 when I bought my Hurricane. I wound up spending the difference I saved between the two on Apple stock at $195/share. So I may not have the "Cobra experience", but I am surely having an Apple experience.

Welcome to CC. Post pictures of your KMP.

Last edited by elmariachi; 02-20-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Don't worry about offending people, I do it all the time.
"All the time" is an understatement, if that's possible.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, you guys don't have power mirrors? Another reason to buy a Kirkham.