Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I agree with Tongue Pirate. The quality, completeness (is that a word), and pricing is what makes a Kirkham a Kirkham. I don't think you should change anything. If every Tom, Dick, and Harry can buy one, then the appeal and specialty will drift away.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Exactly my point! Well put!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

So, Hyde agrees with Hyde?

David...got the point yet? If it ain't broke...LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I find myself doing that from time to time. Does that mean I'm losing it?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Naw...I do it all the time. Who else you gonna listen to?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Myself? I? Me? Is there anyone else.... Oh yeah! David! He gives me free stuff
Old 05-01-2005, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

Just watched the Speed Channel's Monteray Coucourse de Elegance show...amazing how many cars considered the best in the world are no longer made but still affectionately considered the greatest. As I recall, original Cobra's are among that group.

My point was that those who love Kirkhams (and who would not) will certainly profit by the rareity (sp), but that (remember the Avanti) is not necessarily the best business model.

I understand you can still buy an Avanti (new production) in Canada but I could be wrong. I suspect there is a thriving market for the $100k cars, but it's limited (looking at how many on the forum own them anyway). And few, if any, appear to own more than 1.

Bolt on - why as I recall the original 289s had wire wheels, what happened to those??? If you ever cleaned or tuned a set you'd know, the rest won't.

Maybe just change the model designation - instead of Cobra it could be an AC? Just kidding, but you're looking at two perspectives here - those who own your car (or own several) and those who do not. Those that own you car probably won't keep you in business.

Last edited by TampaFla; 05-01-2005 at 01:38 AM..
Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by TampaFla
.... but you're looking at two perspectives here - those who own your car (or own several) and those who do not. Those that own you car probably won't keep you in business.
Now that's an interesting observation! In order to be potential client for a K car, a person has to have a) the means to afford one, and b) the desire to own one. A well off rich Chevy lovin' or Dodge lovin' guy may be able to afford a K car, but does he want one?

I would think a very large potential market for a K car is the group of current Cobra owners (desire confirmed) who have made the plunge, and would consider upgrading if they could swing it (close to having the means). I think David's on the right track.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 05-01-2005, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

You've made my point exactly. Had you had the money in the first place......but then, there's always an original (B-J auctions).

Kirkham is asking the question "how do I sell more cars" not how do I keep current owner's happy....the answer to the latter is don't sell any more cars (my car's value will skyrocket).
Old 05-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

...and everyone's entitled to their opinions, including the current owners who help "sell" the cars to prospective customers.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exactly my point.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I am not aware that Kirkham is having trouble selling cars. A company is better off selling fewer product at a higher price than more at a lower price. chuck
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go back to the original post - how can I make the car more affordable. Then, look at the comments which follow - owners hope the car won't be "more affordable...." wish I bought Microsoft response.

Not going into the math of it but you may want to rethink fewer at a higher cost equation.

Last edited by TampaFla; 05-01-2005 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-01-2005, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 283
Not Ranked     

Hey David,

I may be going against the trend here, but I think there are a lot of people who would buy your cars if they were more affordable. Letting the buyer do more of the assembly work is one way to cut the cost.

It's a question of skill level. Most home garage mechanics willing to attempt to assemble one of your cars can most likely learn to drill a hole pattern and install a few rivets. Straightening and filling that aluminum body is a different story. Form the panels and show where to drill. Give the guy with more time than money a chance to own one to your great cars!

Plus the guy willing to do the work himself will probably do a good job, so I don't really understand the concern about quality.

Keep your cars as original as possible. That’s one of the things that make them so attractive.

Steve Blackmon
Southern California
Old 05-01-2005, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 Leaf Spring - On Hold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by ENTDOC

I am not aware that Kirkham is having trouble selling cars. A company is better off selling fewer product at a higher price than more at a lower price. chuck
Sam Walton is spinning in his grave after the above statement. Chuck, did you really mean that?

--Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

simple math-10 cars at 50,000=500,000;20 cars at 25,000 =500,000. The first equation would yeild the same gross profit as the second but would require less sales force,less inventory,fewer phone calls and complaints and more time off of work. At least in my business that would be a good thing.
I suppose you could approach Wal-Mart about producing and selling Kirkhams;of course they would quickly outsource it to China. Come to think of it ,that is one way to keep the price down and make them affordable for everyone. chuck
Old 05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     

I think I'm with Chuck, when I think of the people who can buy these I believe they are most interested in customer service, and a great quality product. (I hate calling cars Products) Kirkham's have very good service but if they had someone dedicated to keeping in touch with clients, fast response to queries, periodic calls to check on progress or satisfaction, etc. it might do more for sales than a price decrease. If David would send out a customer satisfaction survey ( They taught you about those in your marketing class didn't they? ) he may find out things that would contribute more to sales, and brand loyalty. Its not that hard! What would it hurt to pick up a phone and call me or Jim or Scott or any of us and say, " How are you coming with the car, anything we can do to help, what would you like to see done differently, any suggestions, etc.?" I don't think David has the time in his day to do this.

Great service isn't easy but it does have its own rewards. I know Kirkham's are constantly striving to improve all aspects of their business, but if you look at JPFletch's recent posts you can see there is still a lot of room for improvement. I am not implying I am dissatisfied in any way, not trying to air any complaints, just trying to think of what their organization could do to continue to progress. Someone like Rich Lacy would be perfect for this. Hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him!

By the way David, I think I will be in Provo on Thursday morning, I have a few duplicate items that were shipped with my car I'll bring to you. Gotta help hold down your overhead.

John

Last edited by John A. Simpson; 05-01-2005 at 09:16 PM..
Old 05-01-2005, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some good points there! David you need someone to make those calls for you Where do I send my resume
Old 05-02-2005, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about 1 car at $500,000. Even less work, but first you have to find someone with $500,000 and...

W/O going into the details, you can't cut fixed costs in the short term, but you can cut variable costs. The ideas so far are to shift those costs to the customer (let the buyer do some of the labor) or by changing parts (e.g. the $5k wheels). Everything else has been off the subject except that it certainly shows product 'loyalty" (also seen on the balance sheet as Goodwill).

Last edited by TampaFla; 05-02-2005 at 02:44 AM..
Old 05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     

TampaFla

I see you have an ERA certainly not an inexpensive kit, if you have have some of the options you must be in Kirkham territory price wise. Why did you choose ERA over a K car? ERA's reputation for customer service is second to none, did that play a part?

My car has the panels fitted, holes drilled, very few rivets holding each panel in place, I can't imagine it would reduce their costs very much by having me finish the riveting. I'm sure all the little things they could do would add up, just not sure how much any one thing (like rivets) would help.

John