Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't say that someone in ERA FIA range is necessarily in K range. I had to really stretch to get my car & still stretching .
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

You're right. I could have either the Kirkham or the ERA. I chose the ERA because I don't particularly care for the 427 redesign (I like the early AC 289 body) and I liked how ERA built the frame and suspension. Had to "wait" a lot longer but it was well worth it.
Now, if I could just buy the one I almost bought in 1967
($3300).....

Seems to me Kirkham is looking ahead (or back), what happens when you've sold a car to all the "rich" buyers, do you simply close the doors and do something else for a living............

Last edited by TampaFla; 05-02-2005 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289, KMPS007
Not Ranked     

David,

Back to your original question. Since I just finished one of your 289 cars by cutting, fitting, and riveting inner panels and footboxes, I feel somewhat qualified to speak.

Some of the panels have to be installed before the body is put on the car. I assume you would do that in Poland.

On a 289, the footboxes should be installed before the body goes on. Not sure about a 427. I assume that would be done in Poland also.

There will be potential problems if you have the customer form his own panels in a sheet metal brake. You know, rights / lefts, and directions of bends. Are you going to form the panels or ship flat sheets? I guess you can always ship more raw panels if the customer makes a mistake and makes 2 rights rather than a "right" and a "left".

You will need to give him some instructions on where to fix and rivet panels. I was very lucky with my "build" having unlimited access to over a dozen original cars in various states of assembly.

All in all, I would do it again, but I didn't save any money.

Bert Brown
KMPS007
Old 05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

As Jamo said, bolt on wheels, etc...but it's probably the only big ticket item on the car that's easily changed.

And, also right, the guys at ERA are there anytime you need them while building the car.

Last edited by TampaFla; 05-02-2005 at 01:33 PM..
Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Dragontamer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

David,
I'm with Jamo and Sal on this one.

Offer the car in stages or packages such as fame/body, suspension/brakes, exterior parts/trim, interior parts/trim, etc. Kirkham in a box all at once or in stages, buyers choice. That ensures the same high quality parts and lets the buyer decide how much to assemble himself and how much $$ he has for you or someone else to assemble it. Keep it simple and don't offer too many stage variations or you'll be right back where you are now with time/labor costs customizing the packages.

Even though everything from a bare frame/body to a very complete roller is available from you, I think pre-packaged stages is the way to go to save time/labor costs and open up the Kirkham market to a larger crowd. It is imperative that the assembly manual is thorough and complete for this to work.

Jeff
Very Happy Kirkham Owner
Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I think the interior trim panels SHOULD be trimmed, bent (if needed), and drilled.

I would be able to ASSEMBLE a car, but NOT do any "MANUFACTURING" of that vehicle.

You could have different levels of assembly, from bare frame/file-finish/EVERYTHING in boxes, to turn-key minuses. This way, the customer pays for the amount of completeness that they wish. YOUR labor costs vary with that same level of completeness.

9 inch, or 8.8 rear ends could be offered as a cost-cutting option to new buyers.

You could offer the five-lug rotors as a cost-cutting option as well. In the future, the new Kirkham owner could get the pin-drive adapters and wheels from Trigo , PS, or Vintage.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

It really seems to me that you are trying to fix something that is not broken. You now offer the car in true kit form and it can be upgraded as time and cash allow,any further attempts to expand your market by making it more budget friendly will likely result in cars that stray too far from the original Kirkham concept of a highly accurate and quality replica. chuck