LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
What you said is completely true, but you cannot say he is an inspiration to minorities that they can be what they want to be as a blanket statement because it is not true. Those that only see his color first will feel that way, but those who actually take the time to look at how he got to where he is in an effort to bring themselves up by understanding his path quickly see he was not born and raised in the slums. They see he had every opportunity handed to him that they will not.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well thats one man's opinion on the issue. If I were a publicist or an author I would certainly put a positive spin on the issue, for the children's sake, (now how's that for political spin?).

But seriously, I really do think the Obama story will be presented FIRST from the aspect of a man with a humble beginning rising to great status. True or not remains for the reader to contemplate. Secondarily as a black man. I DO believe he is an inspiration to ALL young people of varied heritage.

The African American population will put their own spin on what it all means. Certainly some will say he's not black enough. Just like the argument I see here so often, he's not Hawaiian, or local, or Portagee "enough". And yet, there are folks who are admired and inspire beyond their personal heritage, for the man, or woman, first, heritage second.

When I lived in Key West for a couple of years it was clear I was not a "Conch", nor ever COULD be one. I was never "from" D.C., I just happen to live there. In the South I was a Yankee (and thought to myself, where was Oregon during the Civil War on that issue)? Virtually every state and community I've ever lived in ALWAYS put's SOME kind of "spin" on how "local" you are, how accepted you are. Now were talking about a National Audience, it will be interesting to see how historians deal with it. There will ALWAYS be that little footnote, "America's first black President", that's for sure!

Actually, I'm rarely wrong, my thinking is just so advanced most folks have a hard time grasping the reality.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
Is that attitude racist?

I think he will be forgotten as the worst president in modern history. History will see his spending as near criminally reckless, and his total lack of leadership at home and abroad to be an embarrassment to the USA for years.
NOT because he is black, but because he is the ridiculous combination of naive and arrogant.
"naivete and arrogance" (well, if Ron is going to do it, why not?)
Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the subject of reckless spending.

History may well record that Obama saved the Nation from plunging into financial darkness by stabilizing the stock market, securing the banks, implementing new over sight rules on corporations, limiting off shore connections for giant corporations, etc. etc.

...and left behind a single silver bullet upon his departure.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
On the subject of reckless spending.

History may well record that Obama saved the Nation from plunging into financial darkness by stabilizing the stock market, securing the banks, implementing new over sight rules on corporations, limiting off shore connections for giant corporations, etc. etc.

...and left behind a single silver bullet upon his departure.

So they DO grow some serious "mind numbing" smoke in Hawaii!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I forgot one,

...and established health care for all!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

I can look at the end of my willie and self identify myself as Jewish but that doesn't make it so. As it is in Obama's case it is either delusional or opportunistic. I'm banking it's the second one in his case. There are thousands of men in this country who started at humble beginnings and through hard work and effort made a legacy for themselves. Obama has done neither. He has simply opportunistically availed himself of special consideration based on a false "self identity". I have a nephew, Matthew, who now goes by Matteo based on the fact his last name is Moreno. He forgets that his mother is Swiss because it conveniently garners him some special considerations. Obama does the same. He is a fake.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A fake what? A fake white man? A fake black man? What?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
well, I bet I know you'd never call him a

"Buggering white trash cracker."

oh, by the way, I'd venture you were wrong when you labeled posters that before.

I'll beat Ron to it...

"There are boundaries...even in the Lounge.

Racial references are certainly one of them.

Talk about issues...lay off personal insults to other members..
... or find a new home."

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...I have no idea what Mr. Toad is talking about...

Race is an issue that needs discussion, by the way. Like many topics, there is a right way and a wrong way to proceed with that.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I rarely post anymore because it seems to me that many participants in these "debates" are solely interested in venting the accumulated gasses of their angst and expecting others to agree it smells like a rose. Those who don't agree are branded and labeled all sorts of stuff and so it goes ad infinitum. No minds are ever changed, common ground is seldom acknowledged and everyone just vents away, enjoying the scent of their vent and that of others who relish the same flavours. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what people want - just the way it is I suppose.

I have no dog in the political side of the hunt for truth, but people's take on the mixed race/cultural side of things is interesting. No attempt to change anyone's mind here - just offering for consideration the perspective of someone who has actually lived some of what is being talked about.

I am of mixed parentage and though I never ever felt compelled to "pick a side" or choose a label for myself, the reality is that in life people do judge and label you according to your appearance. When I am in North America, I happen to look more "black than white" to people and therefore I am considered black. It has never been an issue for me and I have never felt the need to say to anyone "Uhh, excuse me, but I'm actually part white you know..." I understand the cultural perspective and just leave it at that. Have I "chosen" to be black for some reason? No. Others who are unaware of my genetic profile go right ahead and make up their own minds based on what they see.

You all know that Obama is genetically mixed so at your convenience, you use that to imply he is somehow hiding his whiteness to bask in the significance of being the first black president and to take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities and advantages that come with being black in America. Absolute nonsense.

If you did not know all about Obama's parentage and you saw him on the street you would (and do) see a black man. For his entire life - his skin, his hair and his features have identified him to others (and quite likely himself) as a black man. What do you expect a person to do - go around with a picture of his white mother, apologizing for his physical appearance and assuring everyone that he is in fact half white, despite what they actually see standing in front of them? Get friggin' real folks.

Like it or not, by all social standards that exist in America (and it's all about appearance) the man is black. How much that matters to you and what - if any - bearing it has on how you choose to judge him is entirely up to you.

This is just a commentary on the race/mixed race issue and is NOT about racism - so if you feel inclined to drag it down that old road, please don't bother.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

He'll be known in history as George Soros's communist Poodle that tried to destroy/overthrow the Republic!

The next presidents first executive order should be rescind everything BHO signed into law....

Then look into treason.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck with the fulfillment of your vision for the future...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Last edited by Buzz; 09-25-2009 at 07:25 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Errrr, eh..... back on topic now.

Looks like the media attention has caused the Distric website to crash

http://www.burltwpsch.org/schools/ys/

look for the District link and click it.

Conservatives may be less vocal than libs, but the Net is leveling the playing field.

Mike
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Buzz,
Point taken. My posts were from what I have seen from my view. I am a white man married to a black woman whose family was really excited that a black man made it to the top. Several began their own looks into his past in an honest effort to understand how he made the achievements he made and try to find a way to teach that to their children so they could succeed better in life than they did. A good portion of her family lives in the ghetto in Kansas City. They quickly found that he did not grow up in the ghetto and suddenly felt that they could learn nothing and gave up. I have seen a multitude of people do this in her family and their friends. I know that is a limited view, but that is where my post came from. I was not meaning to infer that he should apologize for the way he looks. No one should ever have to apologize for their herritige or looks. I was simply stating what I have seen transpired. Sorry for any confusion on my intent.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not black, not white, fake is NOT a complicated word.

fake 1 (fk)

1. One that is not authentic or genuine; a sham.
2. Sports A brief feint or aborted change of direction intended to mislead one's opponent or the opposing team.

v. faked, fak·ing, fakes

1. To contrive and present as genuine; counterfeit.
2. To simulate; feign.
3. To engage in feigning, simulation, or other deceptive activity.

THAT KIND OF FAKE!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe, I was in no way referencing your post . I was taking issue with those who imply that Obama is "choosing to be black" to gain some sort of advantage from that label. In any other circumstance that does not pander to some political agenda, they - or anyone else for that matter - would refer to him as a black man. Can you imagine the reaction if a man who looks like Obama tried to pass himself off as white or even referred to himself as "mixed"? The first thing they would holler is that he is ashamed of what he is.
That's the sad thing about political dogmatism - people seek to put the most negative spin possible on a political opponent's actions regardless of how much it contradicts the way they would react if that same action came from a member of their own party. Truth be damned! Negativity at all cost!

The significance of Obama being the first black president is not so much that it will show poor little ghetto kids that they can become POTUS. It is more an example to show the critics of America and the retrogressive thinkers in American society and elsewhere - both black and white - that the majority of people in the US are NOT racists and that it really could be true that anyone; regardless of race, can achieve their goals if they are committed, determined and prepared to work hard enough to get what they want. Going back as far as Colin Powell and up to the time when Obama declared his candidacy for the job, many, many people of all colours and cultures around the world - the US included - thought that though he may be a strong candidate, American society was still not ready to accept a black man as their president.

Last edited by Buzz; 09-25-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

Joe Wicked,

I know what you mean. I grew up in a two room apartment above a bar at 9th and Prospect (your wife will know where that is). I have 3/4 Cherokee cousins, half Chicano nieces and nephews, and 1/2 African American gt nephews. If we constantly referred to ourselves by our ethnicity then we might just forget that we're family.

Buzz,
Malachi and Jaden aren't my "black nephews", just like Obama isn't my "black president". He's my President, although I sometimes slip "village idiot" in front of President.

Last edited by BeanCounter; 09-25-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting insight with your post Joe about the Ghetto issue's. From what I see, and understand, of Obama's backgound he had a reasonably normal upbringing here in Hawaii. For someone in the Ghetto, yeah a very privileged life indeed! But as a typical American, or person growing up in Hawaii, nothing special. Good, middle to upper class, hard working folk. I think his time over seas is a real plus, travel broadens your mind, lets you gain a different perspective on life. I think his primary appeal IS the "ordinary man" kind of thing. Niether white nor black, just an American, who happens to be black.

Fake: As in "politician", OK, now I get it!

You know, living in Hawaii is much like living anywhere else when you've been here long enough. Yeah the weather is nice, it rains on occasion. It's beautiful, so are many parts of the world (Oregon comes to mind). After awhile, you grow tired of Waikiki, you just do your job, pay your bill's, live your life just like anywhere else. Visitors for the most part see the "Fantasy Island" aspect. It's VERY well cultured in that regard and I admit, even appealing to ME. When I chose to step away from "real life" and become a "visitor" for a weekend get-a-way.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-25-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCounter View Post
Buzz,
Malachi and Jaden aren't my "black nephews", just like Obama isn't my "black president". He's my President, although I sometimes slip "village idiot" in front of President.
Bernie, ultimately that's the way it ought to be - everyone judged and described by who they are and not what they are. A person's race means little or nothing to me and to you as well he is just a man who happens to be president. However, given the history and legacy of the racial divisions in the US, won't you at least agree that, forgetting political affiliation for a second, there is arguably some degree of significance in the election of a black man to the office of president? Not necessarily to you as an individual but in the context of society as a whole?