Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Midstates Cobra's---Speak with Bob Kallio

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch won't disengage

Just purchased a completed Midstates that has been in storage for about 5 years. My issue is we can't put the car into gear w/the clutch in and enging running. We are guessing the clutch/pressure plate might have bonded to the flywheel. Of course this is an assumption as we have not pulled the transmission out. The slave has been bleed for air so we know that is good and we have plenty of fluid available. When we press in the clutch, the slave travels about 1". If we really press the pedal hard we might get another 1/4." When we disconnect it we get around 1 1/2 - 2" of travel on the cylinder. Since we do not see any substantial movement of the fork arm, we are assuming we have a bonding. We tried to rock the car in gear, no luck. We then tried to break the clutch loose by holding the clutch in, dropping the tranny in 1st gear and hitting starter. Tried 3 times, and no luck. Any suggestions short of going to the transmission shop or pulling the tranny completely out? The previous owner stated we should be looking at replacing the slave with a manual clutch arm mechanism as he was never happy with the slave. Also could this slave be improperly adjusted? (not that I would know any difference by looking at it) Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Mitchell email = lonestar7@earthlink.net
RedSabre
Austin, TX
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's actually a somewhat common problem when vehicles have been stored for a while. This might help:
Larry
My Clutch is Stuck
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

1. Most Important :REMOVE COIL WIRE
2. Move vehicle outdoors or onto jack stands
2. Shift to 4th gear.
3. Apply parking brake
4. Depress clutch (You must be convinced pressure plate is releasing clutch disc)
5. Bump starter

As long as pressure plate is releasing the disc, it should now break free.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Since we do not see any substantial movement of the fork arm, we are assuming we have a bonding.
You may ALSO have a bonding situation but if the fork arm doesn't move, the pressure plate is still clamping the disc to the flywheel.

Lowell
Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default clutch won't disengage

Thanks for all the tips. As we stated we tried the starter bump but used 1st instead of 4th. Oops. Did not shake it loose. Guess we will have to pull the tranny to see what gives. Will look to see if there is a removable plate on the bell housing so we can see inside while operating the clutch. Might give us an indication of what's going on. Man, this is when I wish the car was not so low to the ground as I do not fit too well under car's these days even on car jacks.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

After warming the engine up to insure a quick restart,... roll the car into the street, and with the clutch pedal pushed in, start the car in first or second gear, and drive off, with the clutch pedal pushed in.

You will be surprised how little the car lunges,... it's NOT as scary as it sounds, and it will work!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

mine stuck a few years ago and I did what Burgs suggested. It works. Dwight
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Here is another way that is more fun. Jack car up with trolley jack under rear of car until wheels are clear of ground. Warm up motor first in neutral, then shut down. Now with car in top gear or 4th if you have a Tremec or similar OD type box { It needs to be in a direct 1 to 1 ratio } start motor and run up to about 30 mph with the clutch pedal depressed, now have a helper drop the jack under the rear end and be ready for a quick departure. It should go without saying that this needs to be done in a safe area with a bit of room in front of you as well as making sure that the jack is not going to get caught on any part of the car. It is a bit scary the first time you do it, but it does work.

Jac Mac
Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

The smart thing to do is take it apart and see what the problem is. Then you can clean and adjust as needed to correct the problem.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure I like the idea of taking off in gear as what if it doesn't release then I have to cut the engine to stop and find a way to push it back home. Not to mention will anything get missed up? Sure don't need to have any damage occur.

Another thought came to mind on my situation as I plan to try something this weekend to get this corrected. Could the throwout bearing be frozen to the transmission driveshaft? As I remember this bearing slides on the shaft by means of the throwout fork which is attached back to the clutch pedal and pushes on the pressure plate. If this is the case, I bet I need to pull the tranny to resolve this matter.[/size]
Old 10-13-2006, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSabre
I am not sure I like the idea of taking off in gear as what if it doesn't release then I have to cut the engine to stop and find a way to push it back home. Not to mention will anything get missed up? Sure don't need to have any damage occur.[/size]
If it does not break it loose, cut the engine to stop as needed, and start it in gear again, to get it home. I don't see anything getting messed up, unless you run into something,... but it will break it loose. Make sure you have a long enough take off runway to goose it a few times if need be.

No, it's not the TO bearing. Can you see the fork move back and forth, as someone pushes the pedal? If yes, you should also see the TO bearing moving back and forth on the input shaft, not as much as the fork, but you should be able to see it move.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default test profile

test to see if photo posts
Old 10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the clutch is just fine, a little rust on the flywheel & pressure plate. The issue was the slave cylinder did not have a direct push on the throwout fork. Due to the cantilever setup that was originally installed, there just was not enough push in that cylinder to move the fork. Had some brackets made to line the cylinder all up, now the clutch works. Hot dog!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good to hear!
Larry