SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default My Clutch is Stuck

This set up is new, and while getting ready to fire it up I was attempting to adjust the clutch, and could not get it to release. I put the rear of the car off the ramps, and up on jack stands. The rear tires spin freely in neutral. I put the TKO600 in 3rd gear, push the clutch pedal in, fork travels well, but the clutch won't release, and let the rear tires turn. So I ran the nut up on the threaded rod on the slave, and buried the fork, and the tires still will not turn. The clutch will not release.

Is it possible the disc is rusted to the flywheel? It has been a year since I put it together and has not moved since. If so any ideas on breaking it loose?

Brad
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

So when you put it in gear and let the clutch out, the wheels will not turn.....or is it the opposite.....?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When in gear, the wheels will not turn, whether the clutch is in or out. With the clutch in, the wheels should turn and they won't.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

So it's backwards to how it should be right? I assume the engine is running when you're trying this...

When the trans is in gear and the clutch pedal is out, the wheels will not spin.

When you push the clutch pedal in, the wheels will not spin freely.

Right?

Is the clutch disc installed with the correct side facing the flywheel?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have not started the engine yet. I'm just trying to spin the tires with the clutch in, and the car up on jacks. I need to roll the car outside to start it, and was checking the clutch to make sure that once I did start it, I could put it in gear and drive it.

I need to assume the disc is in correct. I had a very experienced installer with me when I put the clutch assembly together.

Last edited by Burgs; 03-28-2006 at 06:45 AM..
Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Burgs: I know of a women who put her new Jaguar through the back of the garage when this happened . . . had the clutch pedal down and started the engine. The car was fitted with a three-paddle ceramic clutch disc. The disimilar metals between the facings and flywheel bonded, preventing clutch release.

If you're running a cerametalic, iron or any other metal-base disc facings such as a dual-friction disc, corrosion may have bonded your disc to the flywheel or pressure plate, too. However, if you've installed organic facings, check to see if there's any way you can look into the bellhousing while the clutch is operated. If not, you'll need to remove the transmission to check . . . maybe even the complete bellhousing and clutch assembly.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Burgs, I have mine locked to prevent accidental shifting when in storage.

Anyway, may I suggest:

1. disconnect all the linkage to the fork. does the fork move freely before it engages to TO bearing?

2. Using a small but suitable prybar, engage the fork to the TO Bearing and see if you can move the fingers. If you go too far, the TO will lock in the engaged position and will NOT release.

3. connect the slave and rod, but with no pressure on the TO bearing.

4. While under the car, ask someone to press the clutch pedal. Make sure it moves at least 3/4 inch. If the fork goes too far, the TO will lock in the engaged position and will NOT release.

5. adjust the rod to allow the fork to have about 1/16 ich to 1/8 inch play before engaging the fingers of the pressure plate.

6. put the tranmission in neutral with the rear of the car in the air. turn both wheels in the same direction ( like you on one wheel and yoru wife on the other ).

7. Put the transmission using the clutch into 1st and do the same thing.

If you make it all the way through, the clutch should be about adjusted and the trans should stop the wheels from turning. If you do not have the slave adjusted correctly and you pressed the TO too far into the Pressure plate, it will stick and NOT release. Been there, done that.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Two things have been suggested to try to break it free.

Set the car on the ground and try to push it, or rock it. The other is remove the coil wire and bump the starter, in gear with the clutch in.

Comments?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dude, I think you are going to be on CNN.

Am I to understand the clutch will not disengage?

How much travel is in the slave? You generally need at least 3/4 inch.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the clutch will NOT disengage.

I Have the travel I need, but just to make sure, I ran the adjusment nut to the point where you said the throwout will jam up, and it will not disengage. The throwout did not jam up on me, but I tried.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brad,
See my post on our site. I think the disc is stuck to the flywheel.
Larry
Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if the rear of the car is in the air and you and a person turn the wheels in the same direction ( with the trans in 1st gear ) you should be able to pop any stuck disc.

Too much pressure from the plate??
Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do want to avoid the CNN appearance, but here's what I'm thinking.

Run the adjustment nut to about 1 1/4" of fork travel, so I'm sure the pressure plate is disengaged. Drop the car on the ground and try to rock back and forth in gear, with help. If that doesn't work, and I'm looking at pulling the tranny, down to the flywheel anyways, I guess if I break the starter or flywheel, it might be worth a try. So remove the coil wire, engage the parking brake, and the foot brake, make sure there's nothing around me, and hit the starter.

So what gear should I put it in for rocking or the starter?

Larry, Thanks. I'm posting the ff link here for others to see also. Yes the 5000 rpm and hit the brakes hard is scary, but with the wheels off, and 3000 rpm, it sounds doable,... that is once I get the motor started.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb...10.html#000001
Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

trularin,

I'm pretty sure the disc is stuck to the flywheel. Check out the thread from the ffr forum link above. Talk about being on CNN!

Brad
Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I can see CNN at your door, or a missing door.

Dude, if it is raining here, it is sunny there. Just roll the bugger out the front and pop the clutch.

You want to call me??
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks tru, but I've got a few things to try before I call in the cavalry.

I am so close to getting this thing on the road, I really do not want to tear things apart before I even get started. I will test the wiring with a battery charger before I put the car on the ground. That way I can try the starter trick, if the rock and roll fails. If that doesn't work, heII, even if it does, I'll prime the motor, put some fuel in the tank, and go for the first fire-up of the engine, (Kieth had it running already, but I haven't). After that, things will be good and ready for CNN.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I had my clutch adhere to the flywheel of my 442. I tried starting the engine, in 4th gear, with the clutch pedal derpessed and with the brake on - didn't work. I tried a couple of other things as well - didn't work. What did work was to take a long standard screwdriver, and pry the clutch disc from the flywheel - was very easy. Had to have my wife hold the clutch pedal down.

If you run a scatter shield, you may have to drill a hole in the bottom of the housing for access. I just had to remove the dust cover at the bottom of the bellhousing.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 04-02-2006 at 06:14 AM..
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Burgs,

I went through a similiar problems last year and spent a lot of money and time on what proved to be an easy fix when determined. I really doubt your disc is stuck to the flywheel. However, my problem was the pilot bearing was too tight in the input shaft. Yes, I pulled the trans the last 1/4 inch up with the bellhousing bolts and what I did was press the bearing on tight enough that the it appeared the cluuch was not releasing even though it was. The bearing when on the shaft easily when just pushed on the input shaft when off the car but there only needs to be a slight misalignment to press it on. I pollished the inner surface of the bearing and it cured the problem. This maybe not your problem but it sure sounds like.

Bill K
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I'd bet that Anthony has it right...the disc is stuck to the flywheel, and his method (long screwdriver) would likely be best way to break the bond. If all else fails, push it around so you have a clear shot ahead of you, start the thing in gear and accelerate with the clutch pedal pushed in...it should break it loose right away. If not, keep the clutch pedal depressed and go full throttle/back off/full throttle a few times. Best done in a higher gear if you have enough clear road w/no stops.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I followed the ffr post and tried it all. Yes, wheels, off the ground, in third gear up to 5k, and stand on the brakes, twice. STILL stuck. At this point, I'd love for the screwdriver pry job to do the job, but I have a feeling Bill K might be right in the end. I drew the gearbox into the bell with longer bolts, as soon as they touched each other, thinking it was the opening in the bell that was "precise" not the pilot bushing, which it could have been, but I just won't know, one way or another, until I break it down. I have enough of an opening in the bell to be able to loosen, and remove, the pressure plate bolts, without pulling the trans out, to see what's going on in there, (maybe) before I drop the gearbox.