Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default The Grand Tetons

I'm spending this week in Jackson Hole for a conferance. As soon as the classes are over, I hit the park. Although Yellowstone is only a few miles away, I'm spending this week in Grand Tetons NP. I'v been to Yellowstone a couple of times. Although I havn't seen everything there (who could?), I'v seen nothing of the Tetons.

Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Taggert Lake

Lupin Trail

Hidden Falls

Jenny Lake
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the trail to Inspiration Point

I took the tram from Teton Village to the top of Mt. Rondevous. I saw a moose and her calf, but couldn't get a picture.

There were some paragliders at the top of the mountain. One of them was catching some serious up drafts. I was at the very top of the mountain, and he was above me.

I'll post dome more pictures in a couple of days. Havn't decided where I'm going tomorrow. Probably to Lake Jackson. I'm also considering an evening float trip down the Snake river.

You can see more pictures here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Hole/?start=20
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

That area is beautiful. I've not been there since the early 70's. My wife is thinking we should go to Yellowstone too.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Nothing like a national park called the big hooters. (FTF)
Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hey Bob,

A few years ago, I spent a couple days climbing on the Grand and my wife and son went on the float trip one evening. They said it was really a lot of fun.
steve
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Make sure you spend some time at the Jackson Lake Lodge. Just sit outside with a soft drink and relax. Absolute beauty.

Then fly fish on the Snake River.

The whole area is a place to find your "Zen".
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Rumor has it there may be a few snakes up that way in mid September. Just a rumor, however.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Rumor has it there may be a few snakes up that way in mid September. Just a rumor, however.
You mean like a nest?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just got back today from a 3k mile road trip that went thru Tetons. Beautiful place and much more enjoyable than the hoards in Yellowstone.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Incredible shots! My wife and I went there in 1990. Two years later I lost her to cancer. Those shots brought back some good memories of our trip. Thank you very much for sharing them!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It rained most of the day on Wednesday. SO I stayed home, took a nap, rested my old bones. Had a delicious elk steak dinner at the Cowboy Bar restaurant.

Thursday morning is was pretty foggy.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But by 1130 the sun was out and i was a stunning day in the Tetons. So I went hiking around Jackson Lake.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The sun doesn't set here until about 2100 hrs; northern latitudes are great. I had time to take a scenic float down the Snake river. Saw a LOT of wildlife. Well worth the money. We saw bald eagle, moose, elk, deer, beaver, sand cranes, pelicans, and a bunch of other birds. This is a "Must Do" if you're in the area.

This has been an awesome trip. If you've never been here, I highly recommend it. I posed more pictures here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/bobcowan/

In mid July, the days are mostly pretty warm. It's only in the mid 80's, but the sun is intense at this altitude. You'll work up a sweat if you're hiking or boating. But once the sun goes down, it cools off fast. Again, clean thin air doesn't maintain heat well. it quickly drops to 70. When I leave in the morning it's in the mid 40's.

I was here about 10 years ago, in Feb. All the elk come down out of the mountains and spend the winter on the preserve. Which is a big flat open plain at the bottom of the valley. The Elk Preservation Society will take you out into the preserve in a horse drawn sleigh. The elk are so close, you can actually reach out and touch them (they ask you not to).

I'll have to plan to come here again. I think there's another conferance here in Sept.

Last edited by bobcowan; 07-22-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One of the summer activitesd that attracts people to Jackson Hole is mountain climbing. The peaks are fairly "low", at 13,000-14,000'. Not Mt Everest, but you can see from the pictures thatnthey're no picnic, either. It's rugged and dangerous. Not for an amature.

Yesterday the weather was pretty bad. Rain, thunder, and lightening. It was even worse up on the mountain. 16 climbers from three parties had to be rescued. Mostly from lightening strikes. It was an amazing bit of rescue, an effort that should not go unnoticed.

Unfortunatly, one climber died. But, only one. That's actually pretty amazing. My hat is off to the rangers and rescue volunteers. Theose chopper pilots are pretty impressive, too.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Bob---We're planning a trip to my wife's 50 th grade school reunion to Red Bluff, Ca-in Sept and are coming back via a step brother in law(retired forest ranger) up north of Boise--was looking at Yellowstone but now maybe Tetons---great pics---what did you use for a camera???

Jerry

PS---on the way out from Illinois we are visiting old hi school friend in Denver, then south to Carlsbad caves, Phoenix, Great Meteor, Grand Canyon,Zion, Mt Whitney/Death Valley, crossing Yoseme to I 5, north on the interstate to Red Bluff for the reunion and then returning via up north doing Tetons and or Yellowstone then Mt. Rushmore on way back to Illinois---Need to get a telescope and camera---
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spent today in Yellowstone. Although the scenery is great, and the geysers are awe inspiring, it was a frustrating trip. It was VERY crowded. More on that later.

For a camera, I have an older Canon Powershot A510. It's a good camera that takes good snaps. Not professional quality. And I wish it had a better zoom lens, and mayeb a wide angle lens. Last year I bought my wife a Canon Powershot A710. Much better optics, three times the zoom, and a wide angle lens. I should have borrowed hers for this trip. It takes much better pics.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I drove up to Old Faithfull this afternoon. It takes a little over two hours to get there, even though it's only about 100 miles.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love the scenery in Yellowstone. But, Mid July is not the time to visit. There were about a gazillion tourists there from all over the world. They're all in a hurrey - pushing and not watching where they're going. That is, until they get on the road. Then they can't seem to get moving faster than 30! Mile after mile in 3rd gear.

An SUV or RV may have 15-20 vehicles backed up behind him, but he's not moving over for anyone. If you pull over to enjoy the view, the road will be empty for about 5 minutes. kind of eery, actually. Then you'll get 20 vehicles in a slow moving freight train.

Then, finally, that 30mph RV will pull over, and the SUV behind him will speed up to 31mph! Wow, we're movin now.

10 reason to Visit Yellowstone in July:

10. You like hiking in groups of 50
9. Second gear is the only one that works.
8. You enjoy the screaming of toddlers.
7. You like to watch 10 year olds throw a fit at the store
6. You enjoy the sound of shuffeling feet made by hundreds of people.
5. You don't want to visit the gift shop anyway
4. You plan participating in a Moose Jam.
3. You love getting the elbow from Chinese tourists.
2. $8 for a hot dog sounds reasonable. As does $5 for a pint of cold water.

And, finally, the most important reason of all.....

1. Yellowstone National Park really is one of the seven wonders of the world. If you die without visiting here, your life is not complete.

I'v had a wondefull week here. I' seen some great scenery, visited with some wild life, and recharged my batteries. I even managed to learn some new material very important for my job.

Tomorrow, unfortunatly, it's time for me to head home. I'll probably post on Mondya or Tuesday how the trip went.

For anyone who has never visited this area, you need to. There are a few truly amazing places in this little corner of the galaxey; this is one of them.