10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-27-2005, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pike's Peak drive.

Hi guys, I am planing to drive my Cobra up Pike's Peak in June on my way to DVSF V. Can anyone give me information about the drive? I assume that there is an admission charge. What time of day does the road open ? How long does it take to drive up ? And drive down ? I plan to take along winter clothes as well as rain gear. Is there a web site that I can get info on ? Have any of you guys made this drive ? What are the negative aspects ? I'll be driving down into Death Valley on my way to the Western States Bash in May and thought that Pike's Peak would top off my lows and highs. Thanks, John
Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I don't remember an admission charge....Last time I drove up it was 106 degrees at the bottom and 62 degrees at the top. Best time to go up is after the hill climb, cause the road is nice and smooth for the race. Takes about 20 mins to get to the top, of course that depends on how you drive.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     
Default http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/

I believe it is $10 per person for the drive. Awesome drive if there are not a lot of slow driving gawkers holding you up and dusting you.

http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/

Enjoy!

Eric
Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     
Default Temp drop

John,
As a general rule; for every 1000 ft. elevation gain you drop 4°. Manitou Springs is at 6320ft and an average June temp. of about 60° while Pikes Peak is at about 14000ft.
So you can expect to drop roughly 31° by the time you summit to a chilly 30°. Also, don't forget about the afternoon thunderstorms!
Again, thanks so much for the Cobra ride. You never forget the first time you drive one of these things!
Mike.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Take and use sunblock It has been 10 yrs since I've been up there but from Colorado Springs figure about an hour and a half +/- depending on traffic and weather at least to get to the top. I lived in the Springs and Monument for years and we used to "do the Peak" every summer. I remember there being a park fee of $8-10 for a vechicle to go to the top.
Awesome views on a clear day.

Beware of the weather thunderstorms or storms can appear suddenly during the summer and can be vicious if you are not prepared. Also early June you can have 80+ degree weather in the Springs and snow and 30's at the top.

Last edited by G.R.; 01-28-2005 at 08:07 PM..
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Let us know when you are planning on the drive up and we will get a group together and go with you. Have been up to the top once but never driven and for sure never driven the Cobra. Would be a blast.
We have a member in Colorado Springs who races up it every year in a Shell Valley car. Might be able to get Randy to help with this.

Dick Thompson
President of the Mile Hi Cobra Club
www.milehicobraclub.com
Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys, I've been out of town for a few days and really appricate the comments you have given me. Eric, I went to the web site and learned a lot, thank you. And to Hotfingrs, there is a race scheduled for a few days after I plan to make the trip, I hope that the road has been graded. To Mike, the next time that you are in Tucson I'll just toss you the Cobra keys and let you enjoy the Cobra again. G.R. , It would be an extreme thrill to drive to the top of Pikes Peak in the snow. My Cobra has seen everything but snow. And to Dick Thompson, GREAT plan !!! I can move my departure from Tucson to any time, it's an easy one day drive for me from Tucson to Colorado Springs. I can make it on June 11 / 12, or 18 / 19, what ever day would be best for you guys. The Phoenix guys plan all their events on Saturdays while we in Tucson get the best turn out on Sunday. John
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Here are a few more points to consider for the Pikes Peak Drive.

The most visited mountain in North America and the second most visited mountain in the world behind Japan's Mount Fuji, Pikes Peak forms a stunning backdrop for Colorado Springs and the Garden of the Gods. At an altitude of 14,110 feet above sea level, Pikes Peak is the 31st highest peak out of 54 Colorado peaks. It is the farthest east of the big peaks in the Rocky Mountain chain, which contributed to its early fame among explorers, pioneers and immigrants and made it the symbol of the 1859 Gold Rush to Colorado with the slogan, "Pikes Peak or Bust".

Over a half million people reach the summit house every year by the Pikes Peak Highway, Barr Trail or the Pikes Peak Cog Railroad. The 8.9 mile railroad typically operates May through October; the 19 mile Pikes Peak Highway, paved part of the way , is open year round weather permitting. About 15,000 people a year attempt to climb Pikes Peak on foot. The 13 mile trail begins at the base of Pikes Peak in Manitou Springs. Barr Trail is the longest of any trails leading to the top of the 54 mountains in Colorado that are over 14,000 feet, and offers the greatest base-to-summit elevation gain in the state: 7,400 feet.

Three notable events take place on the mountain each year. The Pikes Peak Marathon, a 26 mile round trip foot race up Barr Trail and then back down each August, draws thousands of runners from all over the world. The top round trip finishing time is three hours and 16 minutes. The second event, the Pikes Peak Auto Hill Climb on the last Saturday in June is a race on the 12.42 mile gravel road which starts around the 6 1/2 mile mark on the highway . Rod Millen from New Zealand holds the fastest time record since 1994, 10 minutes and 4.6 seconds. The third event is the AdAmAn Club New Years Fireworks display on December 31, 12:00 a.m.

I just want you to be aware that there is Gravel and rocks on the road. I am wondering if you really want to drive this in your Cobra. Also be aware that you will need to rejet your carb before you leave Colorado Springs for this trip (Unless you have EFI - like some of us). I do not know what altitude Tucsan is, but remember you are going to 14,000 feet above sea level.

Let me know if you are still in for this. It is beautiful. I am thinking we can get some cars to go with you if you do go.

Dick
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the new info Dick. I built my Cobra to drive and drive it I do. If there is an award for rock chips I might win it. On the drive home after the Cobra was painted a rock hit it, and again the next day - since then I made the decision that mine is not a show car. On the track other Cobras have kicked up stones that have landed on top of the driver's side fenders, and the nose looks like it has almost 30,000 miles ( which it has ) of road wear. The gravel does not bother me, however, I respect any Cober owner who does not what to drive on gravel. I do have EFI and regularly drive above 5,000 feet around Arizona. Tucson's elevation is 2,700 feet. I am definately planing to make the trip up the mountain on my way to DVSF V in June. Perhaps we could coordinate a Cobra breakfast in Colorado Springs and then those of us that want to drive the mountain can go from there OR meet and drive up and then have a Cobra lunch. ??? John
Old 02-04-2005, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Sounds good. You are ready - just wanted to make sure and no surprises for you. Don't you just love EFI?
Let me know when you are coming in June and where you are staying & we will plan to have some cars meet you. Breakfast works great and then get an early start up Pikes Peak. Let me know the hotel you are at and we will find a place to meet close and/or on the way up to the Peak.

Dick
Old 02-04-2005, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Brand builders
Not Ranked     
Default Don't miss the "Golden Highway"

Make sure you run the Highway between Durango and Ouray...spending the evening in Ouray. Not only is that Highway scenic and windie, but Ouray is known as the "ALPS of AMERICA" with public themal hot pools to soak the day's driving away! AWESOME VIEW, awesome way to soak the day away!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Ditto ColoradoCobras response. Absolutely breathtaking and fun to drive to boot.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

I do not know if you saw the post from Bernie Knight. He is flying into Phoenix and then driving to London for the DVSF with Hershal. I wrote him and invited them to join us on our Pike Peak Drive. Have you decided on which weekend? Let me know and if you need a hotel I can help find one. We also have some members down in Colorado Springs and we might be able to get indoor parking for your cars.
The is a Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs on June 17, 18 and 19. Some of our cars will be there for the show. Kind of out of your way, but it is a great little town and lots of Mustangs (450 or more) from all over the country are going to be there.
Let me know what works best for you and we will make it happen. Also what ever you need in the way of help. June is really busy in Colorado, so we should get busy on Hotels and etc pretty quick. I am thinking that some of us will come down to Colorado Springs and spend a night or two while you are here.
I am also thinking it would be cool to visit the Air Force Academy. They have some great views and might be able to get some pictures of our cars with the Jets. We have a couple of contacts with the Air Force and they might be able to make this happen also.

Dick Thompson
thompson660@cs.com
Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello from Tucson, Arizona. My plans to drive up Pikes Peak are finally falling into place. The FFR Open House in Mass. has changed their date to Saturday, June 18th. Therefore I plan to leave Tucson on the 10th or 11th and drive up the mountain on either Sat. the 11th or Sun. the 12th. I was unable to relocate the web site that gave the dates for the Annual Pikes Peak Climb. Is it on the 11th and 12th ??? And will the road be closed then so we could not drive it ? The USAF Academy tour sounds great, I'd love to do that, would that have to be during the week ? I could arrive a day or so early. I will call Hershal today and find out what his and Bernie's plans are. It would be nice if we could get them to join us. John
Old 04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

The Pikes Peak Hill Climb is 6/24, 25 and 26. Check out http://www.ppihc.com/

I do not see a problem with having some of the Mile Hi Cobra Club meet you and drive up with you on either 6/11 or 6/12. That is the weekend of my wife's birthday and so I will be unable to make it. I will find someone to set this up and let you know what and where. Plan on the Pikes Peak drive one day and one day at the Air Force Academy. Will also have someone check on hotels and such.

Dick
Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dick, My plans have finally come together and I'll be driving to Colorado Springs on Saturday, June 11th. I do not have a motel picked out but I'll look for a cheapee because I'll only be in it a few hours. It looks like I'll get in there about 7:00 to 8:00pm. Bernie won't be in the USA at that time, he and Hersh will leave for London, Ohio, later. Can you believe that Hersh wants to come to a Cobra event and drive his GT-40 ! ( see the Arizona Cobras, "June 5th" posting ). Anyway, I'd like to meet any of your Mile High guys for breakfast or brunch and a drive up the mountain in the morning on Sunday, June 12th. I'm planing to leave there on my way to Boston sometime in the afternoon. By the way, I did get my drive into Death Valley on the way to Reno. I'd forgotten how really pretty it is in the morning hours. I am looking forward to renewing my memories of Colorado. John
Old 06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

It is not looking good for this weekend. It is my wifes birthday and we have some out of town guests in. Can not get away to meet you. I also have not heard from any of our members (Colorado Springs or other) if they will be going up Pikes Peak with you. Do not know why. I thought that we would get some cars to join you on your drive. No luck so far. Will you please let me know where you are staying in Colorado Springs? Maybe someone will want to do the drive this weekend and I will send them your way. My phone is 303-699-4819 if you need anything.

Dick
Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dick, Thank you for your efforts. I have just contacted a friend out east in Cheyenne Wells so I'll have company. I will be leaving my Cobra in Kentucky with our daughter for 5 weeks and then it will go to my son in Michigan for 5 weeks so I won't be able to attend your cruise in July. One of these years I will be there for it. In the mean time, of you happen to get into the Tucson area, please look me up. John PS. We ( the Tucson Cobra gang) lost the "Challenge" to Phoenix last Sunday. I paid them off in $2.00 bills at the Dairy Queen.