CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Delays and Desires

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deacon

Guys...

Here is the thing, if you sell any vintage Shelbys to purchase a SA Car, then I have to think you have just left the world of reality and insanity has set in, to say the least. As to whether or not there will be a split market on Original Cobras versus the car being built in South Africa...OF COURSE THERE WILL BE!!! The car that is being built in South Africa maybe a "true" (whatever that means) representation of the original, but the fact will remain it was NOT built here, and it is not an original! This is only a way for the masses to get a replica of a Shelby, and for Carroll and company to go on with other projects and such. The only "true original" cobras are the ones built in the 1960's, and even the CSX3000 being built today are not originals. I for one think that the delays on getting everyone there Cars from SA are probably due to quality issues, and the attempt by Shelby Automobiles to get it as right as they think it should be, but that does not do away with the fact that these are not originals. I guess Shelby had to do something to compete with Superformance in the "less-expensive" Cobra market...Give me your thoughts guys...
My thought is that it's none of anyone's business what people sell to get their dream Cobra. My Dad sold his National concourse winning Austin Healey 3000 Mk 11a back in the 80's to finance a resort-style pool in our backyard. That's just the way it was - he wnted a pool for the family, he didn't have the spare cash - something had to be sold. So?

I certainly wouldn't jump i and say that "you have just left the world of reality and insanity has set in, to say the least." That'd be a little too presumptuous for me..... Oh, and welcome to Club Cobra...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

"I guess I have not been as involved as I should have been on here. I have had some first hand knowledge of things that maybe you don't have.... "

Hey Deacon, since a lot of the other guys on this site are 'rookies', why don't you tell us some inside stuff...

OBTW, hang around a little bit, it may be a humbling experience.

-John
Old 12-15-2003, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

You can buy GT350's and GT500's all day long for $40k-$50k. If you have that in your Cobra, are you insane for buying your dream car?

Old 12-15-2003, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Kris,
Who is Deacon?

TURK
Was it not Guy?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deacon

I guess I have not been as involved as I should have been on here. I have had some first hand knowledge of things that maybe you don't have.... Anyhow, as to why you would not sell a actual shelby for a CAV Cobra, is more then obvious. The big reason is that one is real, and one is not.

....first hand knowledge of "things" that maybe we don't have.... Are you Carroll Shelby's nephew, or something? I would guess that there are quite a few people on this site that might give you a run for your money, rookie. But by all means, please share some of your knowledge with us. I'm all ears!

Just an FYI.......I think, for SOME people (and this is JMHO) it's a good idea to kind of "sit back", and enjoy the forum for awhile when you first find it...... take a couple weeks and read some of the interesting post / comments (maybe even a NUMBER of weeks....) and get a good idea of what's going on here. I'm still learning and I've been here for a year! Sometimes "jumping in" with BOTH feet isn't the best way to put on a pair of pants!

So, WELCOME to the site, and I'll look forward to hearing some of your "inside information" that the rest of us aren't privy to.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 12-15-2003 at 11:21 AM..
Old 12-15-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Looks like Deacons been around awhile... He registered in June of 2001.

Welcome back!!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

I have given thought to selling my GT 500 to buy a COBRA. I have not lost my mind, just a matter of pleasing the inner child! I went out to the garage saturday night and started sprucing it up for the 40th anniversary Mustang party in Nashville in April. Somone may offer me silly money...you never know! If not, I enjoy my car! Whether Driving, wrenching or just staring at it in the garage it is a pleasure. Of course I am try7ing to figure out how to keep my GT 500 and get a COBRA!! Maybe Shelby should start to take a Page from FORDS Book and offer 0% financing.........
Old 12-15-2003, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dear Deacon,

I do not know who you are but I have to reply to a few of your postings and also wandered how you are currently involved with SAI or were involved with SAI in order to get the information you mention in your postings.

The cars being produced are authentic Shelby products produced to and in complete cooperation with SAI. I think you are confusing the age old question between Authentic Shelby Cobra and Original Shelby Cobra which has been discussed on several threads over the years.

I was under the impression that the news release and comments were meant to pertain to the production status of the SA built CSX4000 not an evaluation of who should or should not sell or trade their current assets in order to get one they have desired for years.

I am in the process of putting together enough cash to buy one of the SA units as well and although I will have to let go of a few prized possessions as well as miss out on some of my vices I can't wait to be able to say that I own a Shelby Cobra.

R Brent Fenimore
Old 12-15-2003, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Casaleenie: I noticed his registerd date, but with only 3 post I figured he hasn't spent a lot of time here. Maybe I'm wrong, and instead of reading peoples post for "a few weeks" before jumping in with comments like that......maybe he's been reading and "lurking" here for 2 1/2 years!? He probably knows everyone like the back of his hand!!
Anyway.....like casaleenie said, "welcome back". Where have you been, anyway???
Old 12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I drive and test my customers
Not Ranked     

Well said Brent!
Old 12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by PatBuckley

Deacon,

Welcome to Club Cobra.

Why don't you take a week or so and read up on some of the endless threads that have been generated on this subject? Your comments are appreciated, and valid, but your points have been made a thousand (it seems) times by many others.

Pat Buckley

Pat's correct on this... this has been discussed ad nauseam...plenty of stuff on this in the archieves....

Last edited by casaleenie; 12-15-2003 at 03:53 PM..
Old 12-15-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to The Deacon Send a message via Yahoo to The Deacon
Not Ranked     

Well Said Everyone!

I initially asked everyone for their thoughts and you all came through with flying colors. and I personally think that is a great thing. However, I will stand by my opinions, as I think you will too. I did not say that a SA Cobra was a bad product, nor did I say it was not for some people, I merely said that I would not trade an original american made 1960's shelby for one of them. I personally think that would be an insane thing to do, because I truly believe the SA Cobras will not hold the same value in the same way as the originals or the ones that were made here in the States between 1996 and 2003. They will hold some value because after all they do have the Shelby name on them, and I believe that they will be made to a high standard and as close to the others as possible, but they will still not be the same. I do have a question though... The South African cobras are being made by Shelby Automobiles, and not by Shelby American, correct? Shelby American has not truly been in production since mid year, correct? If this is not correct, please set the record straight for me.. thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As has also been discussed MANY times and the general feeling is:

You should not be buying a Cobra because you think it will "hold it's value" or that it might be an investment. Regardless of which Cobra were talking about.

Buy it because you want a part of the legend, however small a piece that might be. If you want it bad enough, and MANY do, sell whatever you need to get it!

Don't buy one as an investment, all though, it may surprise you in the end. Actually, I made several thousand when I sold mine.

Ernie
Old 12-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey,Deak.........If you think cars are good investments .....I've got a real deal on some Enron stock for you.........cant go anywhere but up...

Money is money is money.....whether its in your house , your bank or your wifes car..It still has a net cash value ....converting a Shelby mustang into a Shelby Cobra for a day or a lifetime ....
..........Is just a conversion of cash.....I Store a lot of Cash in various forms of readily liqufiable entertainment .......much better than a bank.....

Invest in yourself ...!!! you wont live forever...

KK
Old 12-15-2003, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to The Deacon Send a message via Yahoo to The Deacon
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys for your responses!! So, what is everyone really saying?? To each his own? It does not matter where a shelby is made, as long as it has the number on it?? So, in other words if a Shelby were made in China, or France, or Iraq, it would not matter??? Looking for some insight here..help me out guys..
Old 12-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Look out, we have a live one.

For a guy 'looking for some insight here', you sure seem to want to lead with a jab.

Brent's statements are pretty clear, speculation and innuendo really don't do much service unless you are in the business of selling high blood pressure medications.

Some of us are trying to make sound decisions of how to spend our money, others for build info. Some have deposits on these CSX beauties. We come to this site for opinion, Q/A and commradre. For me, hot air just doesn't fit into the mix.

I wish you the best in you search and welcome to the club.

-John
Old 12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Guy,

Why don't you just tell everybody who you are so they can understand your point of view?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default If it walks like a troll,

And it strolls like a troll,
It IS a troll.

TT
Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't buy one as an investment, although, it may surprise you in the end. Actually, I made several thousand when I sold mine.

Ernie [/b][/quote]

Hey Ernie,, is that the car that you bought back from the guy?
From what I understand you had to give him a pretty good premium to get it back.... Just proves your point!!!!!

Last edited by casaleenie; 01-10-2004 at 08:24 AM..
Old 12-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

C,mon Kris.......out this ....Guy...........I smell sumthin....mmmmm........agenda

KK