Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Daytona Coupe CSX9126/427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested. The Daytona has a new, custom-copied from original, all brass heater core now and functioning AC drain hose. It took 28.5 hours of labor to reach, repair and reassemble.

A good amount of the time was invested in attempting to remove the cover box assembly that encloses the climate control components forward of the firewall. This is installed at the factory using several beads of a thick, sticky, tar-like substance that serves as a gasket/sealant. Since it runs in several axis, pulling the cover off in any one direction means you must defeat the grip in another. The fear was the possibility the force needed risked breaking the cover. Fortunately that didn't happen.

I complained to Lance Stander, owner of Hillbank Motorsports, Irvine and Shelby Distribution USA, that a customer with a brand new Shelby shouldn't have to deal with repairing a flawed factory supplied component. As you may know, these cars are sold without any type of warranty so my intent was to suggest to Lance he might want to consider reviewing the process they employ when inspecting or testing parts before they install...especially something so hard to reach. To my surprise, Mr. Stander immediately sent me a check that will cover 2/3 of the repair cost along with his apologies for my inconvenience. Pretty classy response in my book.

So, back in business here...hope all is well with everyone.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Dan,

It's good to hear Lance covered you on this. I was hoping you'd say something like this at the end of your post and I'm not surprised to hear he did this for you in this particular case. Between you and "JDog", I think you win the time and patience award for sticking to it with your dedicated Shelby builds. Keep up the great work, you have a real gem there.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     

Great! This is how a company should take care of problems.

SB
Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

That's great to hear they are going to help cover costs. 28.5 hours, wow. I hope you finally get to enjoy that beauty. Your patience exceeds any mere mortal man. Cheers.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested. The Daytona has a new, custom-copied from original, all brass heater core now and functioning AC drain hose. It took 28.5 hours of labor to reach, repair and reassemble.

A good amount of the time was invested in attempting to remove the cover box assembly that encloses the climate control components forward of the firewall. This is installed at the factory using several beads of a thick, sticky, tar-like substance that serves as a gasket/sealant. Since it runs in several axis, pulling the cover off in any one direction means you must defeat the grip in another. The fear was the possibility the force needed risked breaking the cover. Fortunately that didn't happen.

I complained to Lance Stander, owner of Hillbank Motorsports, Irvine and Shelby Distribution USA, that a customer with a brand new Shelby shouldn't have to deal with repairing a flawed factory supplied component. As you may know, these cars are sold without any type of warranty so my intent was to suggest to Lance he might want to consider reviewing the process they employ when inspecting or testing parts before they install...especially something so hard to reach. To my surprise, Mr. Stander immediately sent me a check that will cover 2/3 of the repair cost along with his apologies for my inconvenience. Pretty classy response in my book.

So, back in business here...hope all is well with everyone.
Good to hear from you and thrilled you got your AC sorted. As I mentioned previously a good friend of mine also had some miseries with the AC on this Gen II Coupe.

Lance is a stand-up guy so I am not surprised with his honorable response!

Stay in touch

Jeff - SPC0136
Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Daytona Coupe CSX9126/427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Duane-Yes, Lance's action was indeed commendable as he didn't have to do what he did. I like to give credit where due. Thanks for the kind words...I hope to see you soon at one of the local get togethers. Happy Holidays.

ScratchBuilder-Agreed.

twin turbo-Yes, very pleased by that. Invested in the all brass core in an effort to hopefully eliminate any future problems there. Expensive but not compared to the labor costs, lol. Thanks for your good comments.

Jeff-Thanks to you as well for the support, will do.

Tags
coupe, csx, daytona, navy, shelby