Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Daytona Coupe CSX9126/427 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Post New Build: Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe CSX9126

CSX9126 is out of the container from South Africa and on the ground as of Monday, 7/22. I have available some photos of the car as I've received them from the factory during it's construction and some received from Hillbank after it emerged from the big metal box. I will add photos as I receive them going forward from here.

The car was ordered last June and construction did not start until March this year if memory serves me. I initially really had no idea it would take as long as it did, but here we are, more than 13 months later. Obviously I'm anxious for the next phase to begin...the engine/trans. installation and ultimate completion of the car. I have to admit I feel a bit like I did as a kid a week before Christmas...the anticipation is killing me.

I welcome any comments/observations from any of you reading my post or viewing the photos. Thanks for stopping by...Happy motoring!

Last edited by Pliskin; 07-23-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 kit, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Im looking forward to this build thread. I live in Elk Grove also. If you need a hand with anything you can PM me
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

BAD ASS, BAD ASS, BAD ASS, BAD ASS, BAD ASS, BAD ASS...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Post the photos to Photobucket and then add the [img] links here.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

The photos are posted in his Pliskin's Gallery.

Pliskin,
Looks great. The subtle Blue/Black stealth paint scheme is nice. Something new and interesting to look at in our area. Can't wait to see it at one of our future NorCal meet-ups. Have you finalized the powerplant and drivetrain plan or working on that now?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Pliskin, your car is going to be SICK

What color/size wheels are you using, tires?

Enjoy.

tuto
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Responding in order:

vspeeds-Appreciate your interest. Car is being finished professionally so not much for us to do but sweat it out and wait. Your offer is well received and it's certainly nice to know that one of my local townies is ready and willing to lend a hand. I am on board when your turn comes and we will get it done my friend. Thanks.

fordracing65-Love the comment. Cracked me up so thank you, thank you.

Tony-Is that the preferred way to do it. I admit to a certain lack of computer savvy so....I'd need some coaching to accomplish that. If it's needed I'm willing to learn. I also can't seem to arrange the photos I've put in my album(where you click my camera icon above)so that they appear in chronological order. There has to be a way, doesn't there?

Duane-Thanks for the props on the color..it took a good bit of mental wrangling on my part to finally decide on that combo. You used the word stealth and that's the word I was using along with the word sinister to drive how in my mind I hoped to have the car look. I was also stubbornly resistant to paying a ridiculous upcharge to basically rinse out their gun and lines to apply a color outside of the stock choices. This is the result and I'm quite pleased with it. The stealthy/sinister look is there..and it is different. I'm told this is the only 9000 series car done in this combo to date. I think that's pretty cool too. I went to last Sat. breakfast in Folsom riding shotgun with Brian, who is my neighbor, and met Maurice and Steve and others whose names now escape me so I've started to get involved. We'll definitely meet soon. Motor is already built, a Dart block 427 Windsor stroker, Holley carbureted, built locally by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties, Citrus Heights. I want to post a couple photos of it but the ones I have are too big a file size. Pursuant to above comment about manipulating and posting photos, I need to also learn how to adjust file size down. Per the motor see my last entry in next post for more info.

Last edited by Pliskin; 09-06-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tuto-Thanks very much. Orderered the wider set of standard 18 inchers, 11" wide rears. Tires will be Nitto's, 295's rear. The brake rotor size on the 9000 series does not allow, say, 15's and Billboards, without retrofitting to smaller dia. discs. I always like the "steamroller" look on any Cobra or really any performance car. I'm a big fan of 60's Pro Street cars as well...muscle cars on steroids. But that's drag style...this Daytona will carve a corner like those cars could never hope to do.

NEW UPDATE: Motor finally had some dyno time today. I will be there tomorrow a.m. to witness the final pulls, take photos and perhaps some video of the event. Builder did initial jet and tune work today and gave me a call. He has always expected this motor, configured as I had wanted with a big old school Holley, an HP Ultra Aluminum 850, to produce about 575 horses, which I would have been quite satisfied with. I think he was shocked from what he said to me that our 427 stroker showed him 611 ponies at 6300 rpm and 584 lb. ft. of torque at 4700! Pretty stout. Can't wait to hear it howl tomorrow. I like good news, lol.

Last edited by Pliskin; 09-06-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Pliskin,
Sounds like a cool build coming along. Glad to hear Tom did the motor for ya. When you see him next time, ask him to think waaay back and remember who has the first official FE Spec motor in a Cobra in our area. Please tell him I said hello. I've been meaning to get by there soon to get him to come out to our Oct breakfast or something, and to get the latest scoop on the drag car. Check out the Silver drag Mustang wheelie photo poster the next time you are there. That race photo was at Infineon running against a fast East Coast stang during SAAC 35. It was a special day to give Tom that signed photo from all of us here in NorCal. Can't wait to hear your torque monster in the coupe.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane-Saw the poster, spoke to Tom about it over lunch today after dyno session. You might want to know he is still tickled by the fact you guys did that for him...meant a lot, I could tell. You should stop by sometime..he remembers you and said he hadn't seen you in a while. I also worked him over a bit trying to get him in the mood to join us for a breakfast or a dinner or something in the future. He was open to it saying what a good group of guys it is, etc. I planted that seed..somebody needs to water it.

NEW BUILD UPDATE: Arrived at Tom Lucas' shop 10:30 this morning to find Maurice's silver bullet Kirkham parked out front. He joined Tom and I and we went to Comptech to witness the final dyno pull of the Daytona's 427W. After looking the motor over and all in attendance being dazzled by it's polished beauty, lol, John from Comptech came in and fired her up. He let her warm for 3 or 4 minutes..motor settled into a nice cadence as she woke up and then once he felt she was warm enough for a pull Tom gave John the go ahead to let her rip. Sounded great, performed great. We were 3 hp down from yesterday's showing and Tom thought the motor might not have been as warm as yesterday thus oil a bit thicker. Motor gave a 608.8 top number at 6100rpm today. Power will grow a little bit as the motor breaks in and loosens up. I couldn't be more impressed and pleased by the motor Tom Lucas, FE Specialties, Citrus Heights, CA built for my Daytona. It's 30+ hp more than expected though Tom says the AFR 205 heads he prepared are very nice and likely the reason the motor is so stout.
Bummer of the whole deal though was my camera could take neither stills or any video of the event. It seemed to act as if it was taking photos, flash working, etc., seemed normal but was not responding to commands in video mode. There is nothing on the SD card at all. I have the dyno printout and tried to scan the sheet onto the same SD card and my all-in-one fax/copier/scanner says it doesn't see the card. So...until I try another SD in the camera, I don't know at this point if it's a camera or storage problem. Sure would have liked to know I had a problem before it was too late to miss out on getting some recording of today's dyno session. Would have liked a visible memory. Not the end of the world but...
So I scanned the dyno printout to a Zip drive, transferred that to my laptop and tried to upload that to my photos here but I'm being told the file size is too big. Anyone know how I go about paring the file size so it's usable here?
My motor is good to go, that's the most important news of the day.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Posted new photos in my Pliskin gallery. Wheels and tires finally on the car. I feel like the car needs to be dropped about an inch to fill those wheel wells a bit better. Motor/trans may settle the car a bit but not as far as I think the car needs
Any comments are welcomed.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

I was just reading elsewhere the ultra 850 actually flows more than the ultra 950 and the boosters come in earlier, probably a wise choice!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Posted new photos in my Pliskin gallery. Wheels and tires finally on the car. I feel like the car needs to be dropped about an inch to fill those wheel wells a bit better. Motor/trans may settle the car a bit but not as far as I think the car needs
Any comments are welcomed.
Personally, I think a little taller aspect ratio tire would fill the wheel wells better. Just my opinion.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice looking ride!
I notice the gas cap is on the drivers side. Is that standard?
Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

pliskin,

Congrats on the build!
Tom Lucas also did my Twin Paxton and install, not to mention Comptech, etc.
It should be a blast!
Tell Tom I said hi and keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Posting some updates and a couple of new pics but I'd first like to answer the last three comments here.
vector1-Emgine builder said he knows the 850 Ultra pulls close to 1000 cfm so sounds like whatever you read has some merit. Works very well on this motor.

Al G-I hear you and may agree after the attitude/stance of the car is adjusted to my liking. Want to see how it looks at that point before any swapping of rubber.

LMH-Yes, gas cap is on the left on a 9000 series Coupe.

rodneym-Thanks...I learned early on that Tom had built your "SuperSnake" motor and that info. solidified my choice to have him do mine. I plan on enjoying the ride thoroughly.

The car is now at Voss Performance in Fullerton, CA and they are busy installing the driveline and doing the final touches on it. A couple of minor details will vary from the factory. Different starter toggle switch, a Jordan shifter and a clear bra are some of what's being done. It's almost close enough to smell premium fuel and sticky rubber. Check out the new pics.
Holbrook likes this.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Pliskin... how about an update on the car! Is your 1st name 'Snake' Think I once saw you escaping from NYC a while back.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, Bxx1...sometimes I sign posts with my first name, which, of course, is Snake.
Wondered how long I'd have to hang around here before someone "made" me. Naturally my eye patch would immediately give my identity away in person, right? LOL.

I'll check before I leave the site if the latest pics I've received are posted in my album.

Basically it's moving slower than I'd like..I ordered the roller last June, yes 2012, so I'm beyond anxious at this point. I'm told good things come to those who wait...o.k...then I'm just tired of waiting now.
Engine and trans. are installed and plumbing and wiring are happening as we type. I've asked that a couple of deviations from stock be done, nothing too crazy, just items to please my own tastes a bit better.
Right now we're working on coming up with the grille piece that was a feature of some but not all of the original 6 cars..a piece that Kirkham includes with their aluminum car.
A small fab job to make that once we can determine how to mount it on a glass car properly and we'll be in business.
Then inspections and registration process..received the initial forms to complete today.

Hopefully the car is ready in 2 or 3 weeks..if the creek don't rise.

Thanks for asking;
Snake
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pliskin,
I spoke to Tom this week, and stopped by to peek at the new FE Specialties shop in Auburn just before he started moving in. He's moved in now to the new place hoping to plan a grand opening day with customers. I mentioned doing a NorCal Cobra breakfast in Auburn in the next month or so, and having a group drop-in afterwards to say hello, just to let you know.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane, count me in! I'm all for that..in fact, I just heard from Tom couple days ago and learned then that he had moved the shop.
It would be great if my car could be ready by then. Tom is actually loaning me his drag car trailer to make the trek to Irvine to retrieve the vehicle when it's done. Indicative of the kind of guy he is.
Just keep me aware of any developments in that direction.

Appreciate it-
Snake

Tags
coupe, csx, daytona, navy, shelby

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: