Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
OH, and if were playing the 'well an original had one' game, there were more than one original with a black hood, which is where I got the idea.
Did many of the originals have hub caps instead of Halibrands?

Here's a twin turbo, automatic "hotrod".

Last edited by TButtrick; 06-21-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Excaliber, are you sure there were original 289 cars running in the 10's? Back in the early to mid 60's, the pre-runners of pro stock were barely going that fast.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I could be mistaken, but I do seem to recall one or more of the early Cobra dragsters, modified, did run in the 10's. BUT that car would have been illegal under the 'stock' class rules at the time. 289 'Hi Po' heads were illegal for instance (not to mention twin turbo) The Harr Ford dragon snake in LEGAL competition was running in the mid 11's with a trap speed in the 120's (and it had a black hood)!

Make no mistake, 10.3 is incredibly fast, small or big block, it's an awesome number!

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-21-2008 at 08:36 AM..
Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

More than a little nitpicking going on here Ernie. The fact is, Thomas had a GForce T5 in this car rated at a little over 700 hp if memory serves me and he tore it up twice. Not to mention with these light cars, shifting comes fast and furious and is a real loss of time in the quarter mile if that is your purpose. The Lentech AOD eliminated all of those problems and helps him get a much more reliable and consistent launch.

Call it anything you want, but it is a very fast Cobra and still very streetable. Try that with the Harr Ford Dragonsnake or other purpose built drag cars. Just my 2 cent's worth.

On top of that, Thomas is one of the nicest and most unpretentious guys you'll every meet.

Bob
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know Thomas, but I'm sure he's a great guy, with a nice and quick car! I've never met a Cobra owner in person I didn't like and felt a comraderie with. Still, even our little local group here in Hawaii has 'spirited' discussions from time to time and you can feel the 'heat'. Cobra owners are unique in the hot rod world, there different than most folks and I like that. From time to time I like to remember from whence this sport came, what the specs were, what the cars were really like. Yeah, I know, that offends some folks along the way, but it's good to recall the history.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the FFR forum the owner of that car "Thomas" said he drove the car that day 50 miles to get to the track. He further states that he drives the car regularly over a couple hundred miles on weekends just driving around for fun. Says it idles at 650 rpm. Doesn't sound like an impractical show car to me.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thomas is a great guy!! I met him a few years ago at the Portland International Race Way when he was just thinking about getting a replica and not sure of the brand he wanted. Call his car a hot rod, replica or just plain fast.
He is just the same kind of person as many of us - he loves the thrill of going fat and what better body style to race in than the A.C. Cobra. So his car isn't replicated to the "T" - neither are so many of the others out there, but the fun is just as real..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P13pmS9Yf3o
Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I'm with Allen on this one. Out of the entire Cobra Community there are, relatively speaking, not that many that faithfully replicate the originals. I have a little bit of trouble castigating anyone because their cars aren't equipped with a 427/428 or 289, a top loader, 15" wheels, a Salisbury with inboard brakes and an aluminum body. If that was what was required to be a replica not many of us would qualify. I know I wouldn't.
Since I know Thomas I'm a little bit biased in his favor. Once you get past the low sloping forehead, beady little eyes and the ears that are of different sizes and heights );-) he is fun to make runs with, and make runs he does. The car is extremely streetable both in town and out. It doesn't overheat in traffic and is very smooth between traffic lights. He'll stay right with everyone else when we get out onto the twistys and has been known to hang back from traffic to give himself enough room to run a set of curves at speed.
In a nutshell, his replica has as much right to the title as about 90% of us, his is just faster than most.
DonC
Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

I am not sure what the hoopula on the transmission is about here.

I have been watching this cobra develop over the last couple of years and think it is facinating. As fast as it is I think it has plenty more to give. Like a second or more with slicks and such. How many 9 second cars drive to the track and then drive home?

The video is cool but it was way more cool first hand. A rocket ship.

I am an old school gear banger but I will gladly get spanked by this automatic cobra any day of the week.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Allen- just a friendly note about your video. Why,........do people dub in music when the real music comes from the exhaust ? Personally, I hate this method of taping if you have a running,... engine.

After viewing it for 10 seconds, I clicked off. You're a great guy with a fantastic car but please, stay with the engine as music to all of our ears.
Absolute no disrespect.

Have a great day.

Kevin
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Faster is better.

I would be proud of a 10 sec car.

Twin turbos....hmmmmmmm...

Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

I have both, a 521 with an automatic and a very original spec 427 with a top loader. Can't find fault with either. Guess which one is faster.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

That twin turbo replica is cool stuff. The car trapped 137 mph!!! I give it the thumbs up all the way and think it's really cool to see a Cobra putting down the law at the strip. It's also priceless to see the owner excited about his creation?

My guess is original 427 Cobras available to the consumer might have been 12 to 13 second cars with 110 to 115 mph trap speed on a good day, auto trans or manual.