Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-03-2001, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Keith Vincent
Not Ranked     
Default 2002 Drive schedule

After a few conversation with some northwest Club Cobra drivers I am looking for your favorite 1 day drives. The intent is to set a schedule of drives starting sometime in July and running until the list is completed. I will be working with Bish for his weeked BBQ and if anyone has suggestions regarding a specific drive to take place on a specific weekend please speak up. I have talked with Walt Tomsic, Zderf, Bish Wheeler and discussed it today at the restaurant. The intent of this request is to start a series of conversations that result in a list of dates and drives for 2002 that we can plan on and attend. Please speak up and lets get a list going.
Keith

Last edited by Keith Vincent; 11-03-2001 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-03-2001, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will start this thread out.
I would like a drive to start out with a meeting at the Gig Harbor weight station (just across the Tacoma Narrows bridge). we meet at 9:00 +/- and drive to Port Townsendfor the day. I will get a lunch locationin Port Townsend and have maps at the meeting location. A few days before the drive I will email or regular mail maps to anyone who would like to cross a ferry and meet up with us up the road.

There I have primed the pump. Lets hear from you people with your ideas.
Keith
Old 11-04-2001, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427SC #188 ZZ4 Crate, Tremac 3550
Send a message via AIM to Bish Wheeler
Not Ranked     
Default Skagit Cruise 2002

I wish this Posting Board was not so touchy. Geeeez, I got this whole thing typed out, was doing some editing, hit the backspace and Whoooosh, everything dissapeared into ether space.

I don't know if I can be as brilliant the second time.

It was suggested yesterday by several at the Pizza joint that we expand the Skagit cruise. Instead of having it a one day affair primarily in the North Counties, we expand it to make it a road "trip". The weekend will be July 19/21. The idea is this; Rendezvous in Mount Vernon at my place, have a pre-function
BBQ (or not) then at 0900 Saturday we head East, eventually getting on hwy 20. past Ross dam and up over Washington Pass. This is the North Cascade Hwy and it is a great drive. We would come down on the east side into Winthrop/Twisp/Chelan/Wenatchee. The road is really a good one all the way and there will be lots of places to plan stops of interest. We would spend the night in one of the afore mentioned towns, then return to the West side via Stevens Pass.

If there is enough interest in this trip, a couple of us can pre-run it and define it better plus finding accomadations on the East side. I have always wanted to make this run in the Cobra and if we can get 10 or 15 cars, it will great fun.

Please give me your comments, pro or con and suggestions.

Bish

P.S. A special award will go to Roger for Bravery under fire. He successfully stared down a determined woman driver bent on taking my parking place!
Old 11-04-2001, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 327 Corvette powered Healey 100-4
Not Ranked     

I'm going to take the lead on one of my favorite loops. I've mentioned it before but for those of you who may be new
(or perhaps as I, suffer from senior memory moments) it starts in Northbend, goes up over Snoqualmie through Cle Elam
to pick up hwy 97, down to Ellensburg, winds through the Yakima River canyon, up the Naches/American River valley on hwy 410 over Chinook pass (with the absolute most spectacular Mt. Rainier view around) and down to Enumclaw where north and south contingents could go their separate ways. 200 miles of great roads, varied terrain and primo photo opportunities.

Great seeing everyone again at the Alki get together. Rich mentioned another gathering perhaps in January. I think these are a good way to stay connected and get us through the winter blahs.

Take care friends!

Walt
Old 11-05-2001, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More

After I read Walt's entry it occured to me that the trip that I suggested and Walt's suggestion would go very well together. We could run over Washington pass to, say Wenatchee, party a bit then the next day do the run down the Yakima river and up and over Chinook pass. It would make a run that would be 300 miles +/- over the two prettiest mountain passes in the world. Plus it would give a great deal of running in the high desert.

After our run last summer that included mountain passes and high desert I would really get behind this one. It would not be difficult to put together a "Banquet" on Saturday night in the Wenatchee area.

Bish
Old 11-05-2001, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Bish,
Sounds great! I am looking for asbestos driving boots and I have to get a five piece five wt. flyrod to fit in the trunk to fish the Yak.

Sounds like an agressive undertaking. Let me know if I can help.

Keith,
The Port Townsend run sounds great too.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hopefully this thread will get some more response over the comming days and weeks. I will keep the info available and occassionally bring to the top if needed, or at least until the group has had the time to respond. The "group" seems to find day trip more attractive that weekend ones however that certainly doen't preclude Bish's bash. It seems that my task will be to keep track of the suggestions and then sometime after the first of the year , to post the suggestions and go for a final list. Some time in early spring I will offer the info back to the group and then get a calendar out to the interested drivers.
One thing to consider for an extended drive or weekend. The Oregon drive included a trailing truck with a trailer for loading a broken car and returning it to civilization. Most of the drivers were impressed with the thought of not leaving their car parked by the side of the waiting for a tow truck or mechanic. If anyone has access to such a rig and would consider it for the use of the group, please speak up. This was driven by a interested, no cobra owner, who's job was to be last in line, yet still enjoy the drive and scenery.
Keith

If I don't hear from more people ....
then I'll just have to find another closed winery for Bish and Walt. So, for their sake, if not for others, lets go.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lots of good 1 day loops

I like Keith's idea, but I'd take it one further, and keep going. P.A., Forks, Aberdeen, Shelton and back up to Gig. A decent one dayer.
North Bend, to Cle Elem to Leavenworth and back across to Monroe, also one day.
I'd love to do something different, and motor up to Anacortes and cross over to Friday Harbor too.
Anyway, I'm still stuck, working Saturdays, so I will just do the ones you have on Sundays and pout, cause I miss the rest.

Last edited by Lincoln; 11-12-2001 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-12-2001, 08:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face One dayers

You guys are probably correct. The one day runs are the easiest . After thinking about it, my idea for the run over Washington pass (N. Cascades) and back over Stevens, can easily be done in a day as can Walt's Run over Snoqualami, down the Yakima and back over Chinook is a good day run too.

If there is no interest in over night trips, I will plan on doing the Skagit Cruise BBQ thing again which seemed to be a lot of fun for 15 cars that participated.

Bish
Old 11-12-2001, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Overnighters

As for overnighters, I think, that a run, like down I-5 to Salem and then over to Bend. Spend the night in Bend, then take 97 back to E-burg and over Snoqualmie. Another run, the same way, but to the coast, at Eugene or Salem, then spend the night on the Oregon coast. Then, back up the coast, would be fun. There are guys in Oregon, like Sword and Jerry, who could join in for part of it. I still have to stick with Sunday activities, but I'd do an overnighter, if I had Saturdays, too.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hi gang,

A suggestion on picking dates since most of the car world tries to pack their best events into the same three month "good weather" window up here.
The 2002 event calendar should be coming out next month listing what/when. It's not all inclusive, but hits the bigger and/or more traditional ones.
As an example, the weekend suggested by Bish is also the Goodguys event at Puyallup, probably THE biggest non-swapmeet car nut gathering in the NW. While aimed at hot rods, there could be enough crossover interest to diminish participation. We'll probably never find a conflict free choice, but should at least look for our best odds.
I agree with the one day jaunts, just because more people should be able to participate. Personally, with my recent unemployment, I'll probably have time for one of those two day deals too .

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,
I have had some imput both online and personal info. I'm expecting to get this going after the first of the year and go for that calendar of event's idea. Hopefully, we can get a trial list out to the local NWCC'ers and get back some conflict info like your dates in Puyallup.
Along with that I'm also looking for and closed Wineries (out of business would be even better) as both the Bishop of the North and Walt are looking for me to set up a western Washington "tour" for early spring.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Calendar of event:

Bob

I'm not familiar with the calendar of events. Where and when is it published/displayed? Will be a valuable tool, 'cuz as you said everything tends to get crammed into 3-4 months.

Since I am an unashamed "Organizer" it will be nice to know what else is floating around out there.

Bish

Kieth

Did you get my e-mail? Since it was your idea.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     

Hey brother Bish,

Most "speed shops" distribute them, and I believe Shucks does as well. You need to be alert because they go fast. Roger scored a few last year and was spreading them around. I believe they hit the counters next month. It's a single sheet, printed both sides, that lists the whole year events by month. Typically there is a Goodguys logo at the top, so they must sponsor it in some way. Each event has date, location, and a contact phone #.
If you need to wear glasses this will be a good work out, the print is pretty small.

There is also an email address on last year's for the Oldtimers, who I think have it printed up:
perk120@aol.com, you might try writing them to see where in your area it is available.

Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 327 Corvette powered Healey 100-4
Not Ranked     

Personally, I don't care when the summer car events are scheduled. I can only take a couple of these cruise in/show-n-shine things a year anyway, and only if no road trips are on tap. I'll take seat time on some great roads with good friends any day. Pick some dates Bish, I'll be there!
Old 12-16-2001, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi everyone, I am new here, my name is Steven, and in April I will be receiving my custom turnkey West Coast cobra. My wife Susan and I would love to meet all of you, and go on runs. Our favorite run would have to be the drive down I 5, then west out to Pe Ell, to 101, then either north around the Olympic Peninsla, or south to Long beach. This would be a good run for summer's end, when it is nice and warm. Maybe if we went south, we could time it for the Boardwalk extravaganza, lots of pretty young gals there at that event, for those who care (like all you guys)

In case there are ladies reading this, of course, you don't have to look. Wear dark sunglasses
Old 12-16-2001, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Back in Black,

Well good on ya. BE careful of the 600 + hp, could get you killed like our friend Ben Mahaffey last summer! Hope your harnesses are mounted to the frame.

After the first of the year we will start posting ideas for the up coming drive season. Your suggestions will be solicited and if you are like the rest of these guys you won't be shy about giving your opinion. This N.W. group is a great bunch, we have a lot of fun and most of the guys do their darndest to make as many events as they can.

Cheers,

Bish
Old 12-18-2001, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bish, and thanks for caring... LOL
I have been around high performance stuff all my life, but even so , I shall be very careful to learn the feel and details of this car before pushing any limits. My brother was the first guy in the world to install a 500 horse 350 Chevy in a Toyota 4 x 4 truck, way back in about 1979 or so (I forget exactly when, it was just at the end of the 70s..lol) THAT was a scary rig, and I have some very funny stories about the *Sleeper* aspect of it, even including a (I am sure) VERY frustrated CA CHP officer who we never met, but must still be wondering *What the H*** WAS that!?! ( "Forget the transmission I just sent, base, I was hallucinating")

Looking forward to next summer, and meeting some of you guys and gals. My pic is attached, with my 2001 Mr. Max, some serious bike hardware in it's own right. It's a big pic, sorry
Old 12-18-2001, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the pic, did not post because I previewed the post. I guess that's a no-no here.