Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Click it or ticket=$86

Does that mean I have to wear the full comp 5pt harness all the time or else?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default HARNESS

I JUST WEAR THE LAP BELT MOST OF THE TIME.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Michael,

Why would you not?

Rich
Old 08-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default LAP BELT

VERY GOOD QUESTION!!!!!!!! I GUEST I WANT TO BANG MY HEAD ON THE DASH IF I WRECK. OK I'LL WEAR THE FULL BELT. ALL MY TRIPS HAVE BEEN SHORT AND LOW SPEED BUT YOUR RIGHT, I WILL WEAR THE FULL BELT. THANKS
Old 08-22-2002, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down I will wear my 5 point in my cobra....

But it is none of Big Brother's business if I do or not.

It is so nice knowing they have time and *concern* to pull me over and tax me 86 bucks, while rapists, car thieves, murderers, burglers run free. What a country!
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BNB

"What a country"

At least you have a choice, there is a road running both North and South, take your pick. The last time I checked there is no law about leaving if you don't like the place. Yes we do have some screwed up laws and its a shame that we have to pass laws to protect the gene pool. If we let all the sh-t for brains get kill off then are law makers would be out of a job and since this is the Good Old USA we won't let that happen.
When you do get your car, go and sit in the passengers seat and put on the lap belt only. Lean forward and tell us how far you head goes before it stops. If you care at all about the person sitting in that seat you will make dam sure they have all the belts hooked up.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

Back in the day........when I had a job and was in EMS. We had names for folks who didn't wear helmets and rode bikes and drivers who didn't use seatbelts. Road pizza and organ donors. It really pissed me off to clean them off the roadside in my town. Ain't much you can do about Vanilla Rice in his slammed Civic with all the stickers blowing the fourway at fifty with the tunes to the max. You can at least give yourself a chance against them. Buckle up, use your condom, Gandhi loves you.

Craig
Old 08-22-2002, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The point is not whether I am safer or not...

It is a matter of whether it is anyone else's business.

The tired cliche' *America, love it or leave it* wears thin for those with independant thought, the desire for personal freedom and the responsibility which must go with that....and commensurate IQ which is mandatory. I bet the British Royalists said the same thing in 1776 *The King's America, love it or leave it*

I do not have to leave because I am a dissident...I am proudly so, and I am not going anywhere.

Most *Americans* cannot even recite the first ten of the bill of rights...but you can bet they can give statistics for their favorite sports team...

Babylon 2
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

If you could be certain that everyone who was involved in a wreck had insurance, then by all means, don't wear your seatbelt if you don't want to; it's not going to cost the taxpayers any money trying to keep the person alive. Absolute freedom would be great, but I don't think this country would be as gppd as it is without some rules to protect the smart people from the idiots.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"It is a matter of whether it is anyone else's business."

It's the EMT's, who scrape people off the pavement with a putty knife because drivers or passengers would rather be "thrown free", business. They could be saving intelligent people's lives.

It's the cop's, who has to spend hours investigating fatal accidents when he could be out catching "rapists, car thieves, murderers, burglers", business. (not to mention all the people stuck in traffic after a fatal crash)

If there's survivors, it's the business of everyone in the ER who has to wait while faces, chests, lacerated internal organs, and broken bodies are put back together.

It's the friends and families of accident victims business because their lives are never the same.

It's all our business when someone is killed in a Cobra accident and our insurance rates go up or go away.

Rich

Last edited by Rich; 08-23-2002 at 04:43 AM..
Old 08-23-2002, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My deal was that I still have the old latch system . Putting the whole thing on to go aruond the block is a great hassel. With the shoulder harness on you can't reach any where but the steering wheel. You can't turn anything but your head to check traffic ,backing up, or reach my master switch etc. There are times when being belted in tight is impractle. I had planed on new belts w/ cam or the like buckels so I could add the shoulder harness when the situation warrented it. Until I get out of my neighborhood I don't think I need the whole system locked down.
I beleive its a money thing rather than my health

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 08-23-2002 at 07:27 AM..
Old 08-23-2002, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a latch type harness and I don't back out of the driveway without being fully strapped in. I don't have that 6th sense where I can tell if my idiot neighbors are going to back out of their driveway without looking, run a stop sign, or some little kid in the road will cause me to swerve into a tree. Is that something you're born with or can it be learned?

Rich
Old 08-23-2002, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/428 & Richmond 5-speed Car 611.
Not Ranked     

Yep....
I get this all day at work.
We have a corporate policy to wear safety glasses, hardhats and fall arrest harnesses (when working above 6 feet) when on the Job site. We have to issue back-charges and fines because so many people refuse to wear them.
I'm always amazed that we have to fine people to make sure that they return home at night to their families alive and with both their eyes working.
The way I see it is that they have a choice:
1) Wear the safety equipment and keep living while earning a decent pay or
2) go find another job and tke your chances
Either one is okay with me. I choose the safe way.

To bad
Old 08-23-2002, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face There is a major logic "disconnect" here...

There is NO correlation between seat belt usage and accidents.
Even if there were, statistics have nothing to do with individuals...this is totalitarian thinking at it's worst.. because a bunch of incompetent drivers get into accidents, and did not wear their belt, everyone has to wear one...it is faulty logic, but perfect propaganda for taking more freedom away.

In fact, I have never been in an accident, and rarely wear a belt...whether I get in an accident is 99% my skill level and attentiveness, it has nothing to do with an inanimate object

Using the false "logic" presented here, we should all be in super titanium spaceframe eggs, encased in airbags...sorry, it does not wash

Also, we should ban motorcycles and convertables, they are too dangerous...would not want cops and EMT folks to have to clean THAT up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who cares about freedom anymore? With the schools, media, and others teaching false history, and NOT teaching the constitution and bill of rights, who would wonder? "We" shall reap the folly that "we" sow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: There is a major logic "disconnect" here...

Quote:
Originally posted by Back in Black
There is NO correlation between seat belt usage and accidents.
Even if there were, statistics have nothing to do with individuals...this is totalitarian thinking at it's worst.. because a bunch of incompetent drivers get into accidents, and did not wear their belt, everyone has to wear one...it is faulty logic, but perfect propaganda for taking more freedom away.

In fact, I have never been in an accident, and rarely wear a belt...whether I get in an accident is 99% my skill level and attentiveness, it has nothing to do with an inanimate object

Using the false "logic" presented here, we should all be in super titanium spaceframe eggs, encased in airbags...sorry, it does not wash

Also, we should ban motorcycles and convertables, they are too dangerous...would not want cops and EMT folks to have to clean THAT up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who cares about freedom anymore? With the schools, media, and others teaching false history, and NOT teaching the constitution and bill of rights, who would wonder? "We" shall reap the folly that "we" sow.
You're right, no correlation between seat belt usage and accidents, however, there's a difference in the severity of the accident. Again, if you could guarantee everyone had insurance, then great, don't wear your belt, but if you can't guarantee the tax payers aren't nailed for the bill to keep someone who was in a minor accident alive because he hit the windshield, well, that's wrong.

Additionally, all the attention in the world will not save your ass if someone does something really stupid, but the belt might. False logic? I think that's what not wearing your seatbelt means. Duh.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, and if it's just 99% driving skill and your attentiveness, why did you choose to get the robust WCC frame? Given you won't ever be in an accident and it's not going to save you without belts, what's the point?
Old 08-23-2002, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

-------------------------------------------

You're straying a bit, I made no mention of belted or helmeted operators. Any machine operated by some moron with a grossly overinflated sense of skill is an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately they usually reproduce before the Darwinian solution to their problem occurs.
Properly fitted and utilized a seat belt will enable a driver to remain in control in spite of violent changes in speed and direction.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     

I'm a firm believer in seat belts. I've survived an accident where I was stopped and hit from behind by an idiot at what was estimated to be 50 mph (let's see some superior skill protect you from that!). Being hit from behind, the seat belt probably didn't have too much to do with it, except for some level of rebound when I was pushed under the 18 wheeler in front of me.

My belief in the belt though doesn't diminish my cynicism about our beloved state and it's actions. It's about the MONEY. The law has only been in place a few months and they've already collected over a million bucks.
The State Patrol is now playing a disguise game, posing as highway workers while actually operating a speed trap, under the guise of "protecting the workers". Yes, the workers are in a hazardous position, and people should drive responsibly when passing a road contruction area. The Patrol's justification is the recent death of a worker............who was killed by a guy on drugs. Speed was not the issue, but there's revenue in them thar tickets. Undisciplined, inexperienced, impaired, inattentive (add whatever you prefer) drivers are the problem, not speed in and of itself. Very much like blaming the gun for a murder.
For all the high sounding rhetoric about taxing cigarettes for medical expenses, and to protect the kids (and NO, I don't now, or ever, smoke) the so called "Tobacco Settlement" was all about the money, which our loving legislators and Governor have already spent though it's not completely collected.
Politicians are like heroin addicts when it comes to money..........and like addicts, they are very "creative" about funding their habit.

BTW, when you're feeling cocky about protecting yourself by your own against the dim bulbs in the world just remember George Carlin's observation:
By definition, half the people are below average intelligence.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Of course it's about money. Would you be motivated to obey traffic laws if the punishment for violations was a rap on the knuckes? I have no problem with drivers who are ticketed putting money into the state coffers.

Speaking of seat belts...my mother in law was nailed this afternoon by some punk running from the police (and another accident). She was going through an intersection when the dope ran a red light and hit her just behind the drivers door. The police said he was going 80+. June's car was spun around a couple of times and the kid was able to drive away. She walked away from the accident with a sore knee and is now at the Everett Aquasox game watching my 10 year old niece's cheerleading squad. I prefer not to think what kind of day this would have turned into had she not been belted in.

By the way, her 6th sense didn't warn her a car was hurtling toward her in heavy traffic (196th & Alderwood Mall Way at 3:00 on Friday afternoon) at about 120ft a second.

Rich
Old 08-24-2002, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Sitt'in on the sidelines

Me thinks me and Bish be watch'in this one go forth... from the sidelines.

Nice dialog.... good info.... great insight.

Rich.. is it just me, or are your related to the "car accident" gene pool?

Zderf