Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2002, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember a long time ago someone on one of the boards mentioned a DOT approved harness.

It had inertia reels built in. So if you wanted to reach for that switch on the dash, you could lean foward to hit it. When you were in an accident, they would lock and keep you in place like a regular seatbelt.

And there was a switch that would make it like a normal harness for when racing etc.

Am I imagining the existence of this belt? Can someone chime in if they know where I can buy one? I don't think it was a Simpsons.

And out of just plain curiosity:

Back in Black, do you wear your seatbelt?

-steve in nj-
Old 08-24-2002, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default I don't wear them usually, unless...

I am on a hazardous road, or in heavy traffic, or other special circumstances...

I will wear them in my cobra, just cause they are the 5 pt style, I don't want to sit on them, and it is a high powered sports car, and I want to. It is no one else's business...and I would never want a taxpayer to pay for my medical costs...I am a classic Libertarian...I don't believe in the welfare state or handouts, I believe in personal accountability, and reaping what one sows.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have always worn a motorcycle helmet, full face, even before any helmet laws...but I am totally against helmet laws... a helmeted dork is gonna get in trouble/accidents, just the same as if he was helmetless...the same is true for seatbelts....
The point is that these *nanny state* laws are passed by little old lady types, and totalitarians who want to be *Big Brother or Sister*.
If you really want safety....why aren't all drivers required to wear helmets? We know from statistics that most fatalities are from head injuries, belt or no...?
SOME drivers die IN THEIR seatbelts, hung upside down, unable to get out of them, and the car catches on fire or they drown in a body of water... well documented. Airbags and seatbelts can and do kill.
Brent:
I bought the WCC for of a multitude of factors, the main reason I wanted the spaceframe was the improved frame rigidity, but it is a bit safer in accidents too.
Be thankful that there is no federal legislation YET enacted, to force the "unsafe" kit cobras to conform to current DOT "safety" standards !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-24-2002, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

This has been a very interesting thread. I would agree with many of the statements herein...but when it comes down to historic perspective, sometimes an old adage is remarkable appropriate---"Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.." It's all about incrementalism and public apathy---v.s. personal freedoms. Think about it in this perspective---if you're a solo driver, police perceive that you're unbelted---and fine you---who are you failing to protect? Whose choice is being challenged? If you swallow the line that it's the other insurees who are being protected from your personal folly, then it could get into some very strange extensions. It DOES seem logical that sub-adults be required to wear seatbelts------ especially if they're passengers. It becomes another kettle of fish when an adult, with no passengers, is stopped for failing to take what are considered prudent measures. You have to look at it from the perspective of what they think we are. The Nanny State is patient and incrememtal in its encrouchment upon our rights. The authorities may not even be consciously doing it (!?). "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions". As for the exposure you engender when backing out of your driveways (OR parking lots)---avoid the danger! Learn to back INTO the driveway/parking space! Which is the more hostile environment, the travelled road/lot or your driveway/parking space? Maryland used to see the logic---they'd give you a warning if you were parked so as to necessitate BACKING into traffic.
You've gotta look at what's happened in the last 60 years, We've become a nation wh/ is pathologically risk-averse, We've let soft-handed bureaucrats take over a lot of our elective choices. Look at the offenses commited by the Crown, 1763-1776---then look, by comparison, to what we've done to ourselves!!! You guys drive Cobras---your vehicle-choices speak volumes. Don't roll over when some egg-headed scolds who've never driven over 55 start protecting you from yourself! It's social engineering at its worst. They'll have us riding yogurt-powered unicycles with full body armor, if we let 'em! Full helmets in the shower! How do you like the hidden-cameras-in-the-street crap! C'mon guys---rally 'round. Let's form a Quixotian Society---you're already telling them QQQQ* with your cars!!!
Chow and cheers,

*(translation will be provided if requested)
Old 08-24-2002, 08:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 460 cu
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, I'm all for my liberties too; But before you go without a m/c helmet or seat belts call down to your regional trauma center and they will be more than happy to have you shadow the flight crew and er staff for a few nights/days whenever you can...

Talk to the flight crew about accidents. 20 yrs and I never cut a Dead body out of a belt, can't count the beltless ones that wound up on road, in fields, even in a tree.

Stand with some er doc who has been on duty 15-22 hrs while he tells mom and 2-3 kids there dad got t boned by some idiot went out the window and they shouldn't go in to see him for a final goodby.(because he has little face,head etc left)

I'll bet ya $100 the doc will be on the phone checking on his kids/family within 20 min of this too

Get a close look at the bikers brain. The one without helmet who just clipped the door mirror of that car that pulled right out in front of him.

Sometimes it is our choice how we die. Its unfortunate that people who have to deal with it afterward did not get any say in the matter.

Howard
Old 08-24-2002, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember a long time ago reading about a man who's wife didn't believe in wearing seatbelts. In an accident. Laid dying for 6 months in a hospital bed slowly dying. Tore the family apart.

I'm mixed on the seat belt law. Maybe I'm just a confused libertarian. I think I fear that some social health care program is going to pay for that person who didn't wear the seatbelt and is laying in the hospital dying and I end up getting the bill.

But where do you draw the line? It's funny. You get a ticket if you don't wear a seatbelt, but a motorcycle is perfectly legal. Pot is illegal, but alcohol isn't.

Personally, I think anyone who doesn't wear one is an idiot. There really is no reason not to.

-steve in nj-