17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Fastening floor mats

A while back Grubby started a post about keeping his floor mats in place... there were numerous responses, but the one that caught my attention was the response from Jeff Gagnon (1985 CCX) about the "correct way" was to use lift-a-dots. Does anyone have any photos of the placement on any original cars?
Thanks for the help.
Bob
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The seats held the mats under them. The front floor mats had them at the back corners about 1.5" in from each edge.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response Nick. You are always the go-to-guy!

Bob
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi. there are four lit the dots on each front mat. 1.5 inches?, not exactly, but good enough.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patty442,
Your response has now piqued my interest a bit more in regard to originality. Do you have a photo or a measurement... is 1.5 inches too much or too little?

Bob
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm I've decided to edit it to 3/4 in from the back edge, I'll stay with the 1-1/2" from the sides. I have photos and measurements but not with me right now.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nick,
Is there any truth to the four Lift-a-Dot fasteners and are they at each corner??? Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get back and settled in from your trip out west.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Guys, do you mean 'lift-the-dots'? - or do you mean these, standard carpet clips for '50s and '60s Brit cars?

Woolies Trim - Carpet Fasteners
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neat product but they definitely used lift-the-dot or lift-a-dot for the front mats.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Really? Lift-the-dots? How weird - I've never, ever seen these used for carpet fixings. Treading on them would make a right mess of an ally floor pan. I don't doubt you're right, I'm just amazed as no other British car of the period used hood fasteners for carpet.

Woolies Trim - Lift the Dot

Roger

edit - I stand corrected - I've just found a site that lists them for MG. You learn something every day.

Last edited by rsk289; 08-21-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

I just started using the mat-locks from GG Bailey.com they are a bit of a ***** to install. Space to negotiate in my car is limited, will repor on effectiveness, if it does not work a screw with a finishing washer will be... I hate the crumbled up mats!!! and they could be dangerous in the driver side.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default carpet

Hi. Four lift the dots for each front mat. No question, no stories. I have my original floor mats and my original aluminum floor pans. The lift the dots receivers are sort of crimped into the carpet compressing the rubber backing of the carpet and covering the carpet on the top- upper surface.There is a dedicated tool for installing them correctly into the carpet. The four lift the dots pins, current available are a little different than original, the style of the head now is more round and the finish is different, are thru bolted with a nut on the underside of the car. They are not threaded into the floor. A hole drilled - passed through and a nut on the back side. I will check if it is a regular hex nut or aerotite, can't remember right now. I will have to check. The AC, idea for lift the dots made for easier servicing (cleaning) of the front mat, where all the wear and dirt would accumulate from your big, fat, dirty,shoes. The carpet under the seat is held down by the seat tracks mainly, with a touch of yellowish glue at the perifery, but not all the way out to the intersecting vertical carpeting. The aluminum floor is NOT painted but raw. There was a foot /heal pad on both the driver and the passenger sides, no questions. The pad protected the original poor quality carpet from rapid deterioration. All of the above pertains to a 427 car. I am not sure of 289 stuff. I have owned my car for 39 years. Mickmate ( Nick) is a very nice guy, and a good friend.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know who this guy is! Kidding of course, as friends we agree to disagree sometimes. I'm saying two at the back on the drivers side, front held by slits around pedals. Four on passenger side. Same dimensions will work.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
I don't know who this guy is! Kidding of course, as friends we agree to disagree sometimes. I'm saying two at the back on the drivers side, front held by slits around pedals. Four on passenger side. Same dimensions will work.
+1
2 on drivers side, 4 on passenger side
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After searching around a bit I found an example of Lift-a-Dot fasteners holding the floor mats in place on CSX3004.

It also shows two fasteners in front on the passenger side. I hope this is helpful and clears things up at bit, although we all know that there is no one right way.
Bob
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great shots Bob thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Hi folks:
I purchased the Matguards clamps DON"T work in my car the cross member of the seat base makes it impossible to fit they way is supposed hence the holding pin gets bent and allows the carpet to move. I tried today to bolt it down to the floor bt the self tapping screws do not go throgh the metal floor, tried making a pilot drill hole that did not work either. I will try from the bottom up tomorrow on the way to a car cruise. If anyone has any good ideas please I welcome it. I hate crumbled up carpets. My carpets are 11" wide x 26" long rectangular.
Hope to hear from someone.
Lou
Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
Hi folks:
I purchased the Matguards clamps DON"T work in my car the cross member of the seat base makes it impossible to fit they way is supposed hence the holding pin gets bent and allows the carpet to move. I tried today to bolt it down to the floor bt the self tapping screws do not go throgh the metal floor, tried making a pilot drill hole that did not work either. I will try from the bottom up tomorrow on the way to a car cruise. If anyone has any good ideas please I welcome it. I hate crumbled up carpets. My carpets are 11" wide x 26" long rectangular.
Hope to hear from someone.
Lou
If your floors are stainless steel, a carbide tip at a low RPM will help. Stainless is fairly tough stuff to drill. Not sure what you have, but based on what you have tried....
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I had a project a while back drilling out some hardened steel in an area where I had to use a hand drill and found that these bits cut much better than other carbide tip bits. Don't let the "multipurpose" language dissuade you. They work great and Ace Hardware has them - Artu Multipurpose Drill Bit.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess this good shot answers that question. If we look at the underside of foot boxes we will find out if they used self tappers or nut type studs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: