17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     
Default 427 ignition warning/charge light

Anyone know what it was sourced from in the originals?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nick, isn't it the standard large Lucas indicator lamp? (the chrome beveled one)
As you know, I don't know as much about the coil spring cars as I do the leaf spring cars.
So I could be wrong.
Larry
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Like this: ???
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Charge light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Anyone know what it was sourced from in the originals?
Nic,

Mine is a crappy plastic push in with no bezel, and it just burned out so if you find a source I need one too.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Nic,

Mine is a crappy plastic push in with no bezel, and it just burned out so if you find a source I need one too.
If it's the same as the 289, it will be a big red plastic push in, with a screw-on chrome bezel. TR4-4A and several others.
Don't think the original had all the copper windings shown in the above pic.

Roger
Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is the Lucas WL12 light. I am looking for the red plastic bulbous lens without the big chromed slotted bezel. I'll try and find a decent picture. Bruce I believe they are wired with a resistor in them so if the bulb blows the charge light circuit still has a load and works.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, post a pic and I'll see if it triggers any sixties Brit memories. I too know nothing of coil-spring cars.
The windings sound like a good idea, although such a thing was never done in period as far as I know. A few years back the bulbholder fell out of the back of my WL12 ign lamp, and shorted on the frame. This popped the diode pack in the alternator which wasn't very helpful.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by mickmate; 08-14-2014 at 05:31 AM..
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope, never seen one of those before. In an odd position, too...
It's not mainstream UK. I'd say it's either an aftermarket addition, or something Shelby did in the US, probably more likely. Pretty sure that's not a Lucas part.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't recognize that lamp either. Is that original?
Larry
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I don't recognize that lamp either. Is that original?
Larry
Matches the ones in my photo collection for 427 Cobras.

I don't see it listed in the AC Cars Lucas O.E.M. application spare parts list that Lucas published for their brand of service replacements so the revision of the list that I have won't help.

Last edited by Dan Case; 08-14-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Charge light

Quote:
That is the Lucas WL12 light. I am looking for the red plastic bulbous lens without the big chromed slotted bezel. I'll try and find a decent picture. Bruce I believe they are wired with a resistor in them so if the bulb blows the charge light circuit still has a load and works.
Nic,

I just use mine as a reminder that the main power switch is on, I have a Toyota Camry 65 amp 1 wire alternator so don't use that function anymore. Yes, I still have the original Ford 55 amp Alt and regulator. I had to have more power with
2 fuel pumps, fuel injection, MSD ignition, big pusher fan and electric water pump because the total draw is around 55 amps and the injection does not function well below 13 volts. My light looks like it is from the states, it has a "living hinge" type retainer that is part of the lamp molding and a grain of wheat type bulb. I will take some pictures when I start preping the car for my next event. It is quite possible that I replaced the original sometime back but I do not remember changing it (no surprise there).
Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Did AC Aces have a charging circuit light? Possibly it was a Shelby/Ford adaption due to the use of Ford alternators and voltage regulators.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aces were all Lucas, like the COB cars. Pretty sure you're looking at a US part there. It is not a British lamp.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nick, Those were US sourced lamps (sorry don't know the source). AC supplied the Mk3 with a WL13 lamp for the ignition, same style as the turn and high beam lamp but with a special bulb holder. Lucas also idenitifies the lamp in their supply list for the Mk3 to AC. Some cars had them back then but most probably didn't. Experts will know more about number specifics. Shelby's group probably changed them out for reasons Roger spoke of, if the bulb holder comes out there is a short possiblilty.
AJ
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some used this and I agree it was probably US sourced to go with charging system. The Lucas WL12 was also used I'm just not sure in the production sequence which used what.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Some used this and I agree it was probably US sourced to go with charging system. The Lucas WL12 was also used I'm just not sure in the production sequence which used what.
British hand-made sports car? Production sequence?
Oops, need an ignition warning light for this car. I'll just pick up this one lying closest to me on the bench...

A friend has a 4.2 E-type, owned it since new, multiple concours winner. Half the rear decking is fixed in with crosshead screws, the other side with slotted head. One side plain brass, the other chromed. Like it from new. And to cap it all - it has a Daimler VIN plate! Apparently they ran out of Jaguar ones that day...
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Oops, need an ignition warning light for this car. I'll just pick up this one lying closest to me on the bench...

A friend has a 4.2 E-type, owned it since new, multiple concours winner. Half the rear decking is fixed in with crosshead screws, the other side with slotted head. One side plain brass, the other chromed. Like it from new. And to cap it all - it has a Daimler VIN plate! Apparently they ran out of Jaguar ones that day...
It wasn't much different on the Ford GT program as we went to production. We were out buying small machine screws at Home Depot for the window trim as we tried to to fix window binding and seal issues. I guess we weren't too far from true Shelby heritage after all
Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post

I'm sorry to say that you've destroyed an illusion of E-types that I've had since I sat in my first one back about 1970. I always thought of Jaguar as premium English cars with impeccable quality and with high standards of assembly. Silly me.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm sorry to say that you've destroyed an illusion of E-types that I've had since I sat in my first one back about 1970. I always thought of Jaguar as premium English cars with impeccable quality and with high standards of assembly. Silly me.
Well - they were cheap, and definitely built down to a price.
E-types have never done it for me: the wheels are hidden down in the arches, there's absolutely no space in them, the cockpit is cramped, they're fragile, and too, well, obvious.
If you want premium sixties quality and high standards of assembly, look at Bristol, Bentley, Jensen etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: