Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Gunner congrats.........

Gunner says.......There is confusion on this point. I believe that as long as the vehicle is registered in CA (even through successive owners) the exemption is permanent. If you register the vehicle elsewhere, recent discussion indicates that this invalidates the SB-100 and it has to be reacquired. I don't know if that's the final word or not.

personal xp on this says you have to get new SB-100........no ifs and or buts

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Got mine (# in the mid 200s). There were three of us in line (me at 5:30am, two others at 6:30am). We were at the Broadway office in Sacramento, and the manager (Todd) seemed to know the drill. He came out before the doors opened, and asked for all the Kit car guys. When they opened, he took our paperwork and entered it into the computer. After finishing all of that, he went to a back cubicle and started making calls. I think it took him about an hour and a half.

This all went much more smoothly than 5 years ago when I went through it with the Kirkham. At that time, there were 7-8 of us at the same office (different manager).

Amnisty program aside, the numbers seemed to be down.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
In the past, I've never heard of any DMV office that required that the CHP and B&L check be completed prior to issuing an SB100 sequence number. That being said, if you can get it done it's probably one less think to worry about.
If you do the CHP check and get your VIN there, it's one less thing you have to do at DMV. Even though CHP requires an appointment, they're faster and more efficient than DMV. There are some lists that indicate you have to have the car verified or inspected at both places, but since you have to do the CHP one, you can skip the DMV one. You DO have to have a VIN before they can put in the request for a sequence number.

I think you're correct on B&L, but you may as well get that (and any fixes) taken care of while you're waiting for appointments etc.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
You DO have to have a VIN before they can put in the request for a sequence number.
You mean TIN? In prior years, we were able to obtain an SB100 # before the actual CHP VIN assignment. I still think that's the case.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
If you do the CHP check and get your VIN there, it's one less thing you have to do at DMV. Even though CHP requires an appointment, they're faster and more efficient than DMV. There are some lists that indicate you have to have the car verified or inspected at both places, but since you have to do the CHP one, you can skip the DMV one. You DO have to have a VIN before they can put in the request for a sequence number.

I think you're correct on B&L, but you may as well get that (and any fixes) taken care of while you're waiting for appointments etc.
They enter a placeholder VIN in the DMV before you have a verified VIN. In many cases, people have gotten their SB100 sequence number using the placeholder VIN (or TIN).

Rodneym got his SB100 number today without visiting the CHP and/or having a verified VIN.

Just goes to show that the DMV doesn't have a consistent repeatable process in place for SB100 applications.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Many thanks to 'Got the Bug' and 'Rodknock' for their help. I hope to help others next year.
rodneym
Hey rodneym - Congrats on getting your SB100!! Happy to try and help

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Rodneym got his SB100 number today without visiting the CHP and/or having a verified VIN.
His wallet is fatter than ours.

-Dean
Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by springin View Post
Well, I walked into my DMV, Oceanside, Ca. and may as well have been chased out with a stick.

My Cobra is titled as a (Yr Model, 1965) (Make, Ford) (Yr 1st Sold, 0000).

I splained to the nice lady that I had been told I needed to file for an SB100 number or some such thing, since my car was made from a kit some time in the mid 90's and I heard I needed to get my registration corrected.

She said "no you don't".

After some very polite "splaining", I asked if she could inquire to her supervisor since my request had something to do with a recent law change and an amnesty program was involved. She returned shortly and said " Your vehicle was and is legally registered, have a nice day".
I went to the same DMV office a couple years ago to get a one way pass to take a vehicle from my house in SoCal to my house in Arizona (that was to be registered in AZ, but was not current in SoCal), and they had no idea what I was talking about. I had researched the situation and knew exactly what I needed, but it took a supervisor to get me what I needed. The lady at the counter was an argumentative (sp) idiot.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the clerk said I needed B&L and CHP but didn't turn out to be the case. This would be a good answer to a future FAQ on SB-100.

And as I was told by many, the TIN is what's necessary for a sequence number, not (necessarily) your official VIN. Another one for SB-100 FAQ's.

BUT, it could only help to have them done before SB-100 day. The only thing absolutely required is for you to pay your fees and submit your REG 343 and REG 5036 before getting in line for the big day. If not, you would have to do all that before they try and get you a sequence number. This would place you at risk and perhaps others in your 'group' of not getting a number in time.

Thanks, Doug. You and RodKnock helped me put my mind ease. Who am I kidding, I was still nervous as hell!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 SPF 1172 418W/518hp
Not Ranked     

POC -piece of cake DMV Westminister,Ca. Seperate line for SB-100 people got in at 7:45 (before doors opened), only 4 people - my SPF 1172 Cobra, 2 Lamborgini (sp) kit cars ,1 '29 Ford Roadster. Walked us up to our own window, took our paper work. Waited 40-45 minutes while they called for numbers, got out before 9:00. They know their stuff. Lamborgini guys drove up from SanDiego based on what they heard about Westminister DMV. Our helper girl was even cute. Clean living I guess.

Steve Thornton
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
His wallet is fatter than ours.

-Dean
Well, you know what they say about those Kirkham owners...

Actually, what do they say?

Rodney, I'm sure the other people waiting in line would leave you strung up with wire or rope outside the DMV, if you're someone in line and you hadn't already started the process before January 1st.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     
Default No way, Dean!

Not true, Dean.

I have a bad case of messed up priorities.

rodneym
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

I arrived at the Torrance DMV at 05:30. There were two people ahead of me in line--the first had been there since 03:00. I was doing the amnesty thing and had already submitted all the paperwork by November last year (including VIN verification/assignment, Brakes and Lights inspection, etc.). We were initially told that the ocmputer in Sacramento was down, but eventually two of us got our sequence numbers by 10 or so (in the high 100's). Also got a T.O.P thru the end of February. The other fella didn't have the basic paperwork complete, don't know if he got his number or not. Anyway, there were only the three of us at the Torrance DMV--I was expecting quite a few more.

Thanks to the Morgster and Kent Nichols for helping me prepare for this day!

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sequence number 56 issued to me in Simi Valley this morning. Very well organized. 7 in line. She took all the ap's and called at 8:15. WE WERE ALL OUT OF THERE BY 9:00. HOPE THE REST IS THIS EASY!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My magic number was 2010-132. It just might be a winning Lotto number as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck to those who are dealing with the stereotypical DMV loons
Steve T
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthornton View Post
DMV...helper girl was even cute.
Steve, you sure you were at the DMV?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,
You're right!!!!! I was at Jiffy LUbe and now I'm hearing a strange knock in the motor. I only had the coupon for five quarts not the seven I need. Argh!!
Steve T
See you at C& C Saturday
Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by springin View Post
Well, I walked into my DMV, Oceanside, Ca. and may as well have been chased out with a stick.

My Cobra is titled as a (Yr Model, 1965) (Make, Ford) (Yr 1st Sold, 0000).

I splained to the nice lady that I had been told I needed to file for an SB100 number or some such thing, since my car was made from a kit some time in the mid 90's and I heard I needed to get my registration corrected.

She said "no you don't".

After some very polite "splaining", I asked if she could inquire to her supervisor since my request had something to do with a recent law change and an amnesty program was involved. She returned shortly and said " Your vehicle was and is legally registered, have a nice day".
FYI, the Oceanside DMV doesn't know their A-- from a hole in the ground. In July of this year I had to go 9 rounds with those incompetents. I knew there were numbers left over. They argued that there weren't any. I finally had to demand a supervisor call Sacramento to make sure. Sure enough, It was now 5:01 PM and Sac was closed for the day. Had to go back the next day and wait for two hours while we did much the same thing. They finally called and I got my number. But, they were about as helpful as another hole in my a--.

Bottom line. Know your stuff and call BS if they try and tell you otherwise. Get a supervisor if you don't get the answer you want. And YES, you will have to re register that 1965 title this year in order to avoid prosecution once the amnesty program expires.

And YES, there are plenty of numbers left over for the rest of you!

Last edited by jhv48; 01-04-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You mean TIN? In prior years, we were able to obtain an SB100 # before the actual CHP VIN assignment. I still think that's the case.
No, one guy was sent home because he didn't have a VIN. She gave him the option of bringing the vehicle in for inspection and VIN assignment but couldn't start the SPCNS process without it.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Gunner,
That's what the clerk was trying to tell me. She even asked me if the car was there for inspection. Luckily the Beck Spyder guy was saying 'out loud' to stand my ground on this. Then she went to find out the answer and came back a long while later with the sequence number.
It's a shame that we know more about this then they do.
rodneym