28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

What is involved in "smogging" a 1985 small block V8?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Rick,

If you are talking about your ERA then it does not matter what year the engine is. They will make you smog it to the year that you bring it into Ca.

Just go the SB100 route. It is actually painless for a previously registered car.

If it is not your ERA and it is a 1985 manufactured (non kit or non turnkey car) then standard 1985 smog rules apply.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry - referring to my ERA. Have the opportunity to move to LA area with my company - ideally stay for 4 years or so .. then decide where to retire. Everybody says "man you will love cruising in California, Pac Coast Highway, the mountains, etc. My thoughts exactly. Sure is a pain having owned a car since 2008 that there is even a remote concern regarding "it being legal". Legally - ERA does not manufacture a turnkey. They sold me a painted roller. I bought the engine, and they found someone in the neighborhood to do the install. I am heading to Pasadena for a long weekend (Feb. 7-11) and plan on stopping by a Dept. of Motor Vehicles to "inquire". Are there any locations that are easier to deal with than others? Somebody mentioned Gilroy ... but that is right ouside of Monterrey. Any place closer to Pasadena / LA that is "easy"? I ask as some places in South Florida are a snap and others can be rather troublesome. Thanks in advance. Rick
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Rick,

Good luck cruising in L.A. For the last few years at least, when I would go down to visit my brother, the commuter lights on the freeway on ramps were working even on the weekends.

Have you ever been to L.A.? You might want to take some time and visit for a week or so before you make that commitment.

As for your ERA, I don't think that you would have to worry about it being legal. It is a previously registered car and if they ask, it IS NOT a turnkey.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry - been traveling to LA for the past 10 years or so - a few times a year. Understand the traffic. Our company opened an office on the LA Produce Terminal Market - downtown on E. Olympic Blvd. Normal hours are well before rush hour. Planning on living in Pasadena - 12 miles NE of the office. Makes it a reasonable commute. Tentative plan at least. Cruising would be North / Northeast - anywhere BUT LA proper. With the heat in S. Fla. I had considered trading from the cobra to a replica Porsche Speedster Coupe - a company in TENN is building a real nice one ... very solid chassis with a lot of steel and reinforcement. Builds it like the first prototype - with a mid engine. Guy is a former Ford MOCO engineer. But moving to SCal means I keep the ERA.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

I had good luck with the Torrance DMV - alot closer to Pasadena than Gilroy.
Now this was 3 years ago, but the manager was a car guy and took good care of us waiting in line in the wee hours of Jan 2 for our SB100's.
You might want to visit Hilbank Motorsports. They sell CSX and Superformance cars, new and used and should know the registration process for an out-of-state turnkey car.
Hillbank USA | Home
Good luck
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC #621 silver/black stripes /427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I have a cobra in NY registered as a 2002 custom. It has a title from NY. Someone in California is looking to buy the car. What does he have to do to register it? And if he needs the SB100, does california still only issue limited amounts per year?