April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

I.m up for emission inspection by 7/3. What do i do.
joeg
Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEW1
Bill was referred to the Judiciary Committee by Senate. Review of certain sections ( not our part) was completed and Two amendments made to the overall bill. Not sure if it goes back to Senate or Transportation committee. Expect to find out on Monday.
Any news? Thanks...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The Senate DMV Bill 1400 is still in progress with the Committees etc, does not appear that Section 38 with the Composite emission exemption has been amended, no vote yet for the full House and Senate

Explanation

There is a minimal revenue impact, less than $1,000, as a result of this section exempting composite motor vehicles from emissions inspection. There are less than 100 such vehicles processed through safety inspections by DMV.

OLR Analysis:

The bill exempts composite motor vehicles that have met the requirements for a safety inspection by the DMV from the emissions inspection program. A composite motor vehicle is one composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed in Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle.

EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2007
" IF PASSED " and signed by the Gov

Reference Section 38

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...ll_num=SB01400

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/BAFN/2007...10805-BAFN.htm
Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five USRRC 1968-289, ERA#287 427-Side Oiler , Goodyear Vintage Eagles, HB Pin Drives / FF Coupe 427w by Keith Craft 950 DaVinci Holley, Tremec, Goodyear Vintage Eagles, MSD Ign.
Not Ranked     

Go to Emissions-Fail-Get the paperwork from them with DMV Phone #-Call- Ask for Dan Jalbert-he'll setup a time for someone (or himself) to come to your station and verify what engine your running-provided everything is correct he'll issue a 2-year waiver (not on the spot but aTemporary one till he gets back and inputs into the system)-Hopefully if you wait till it's closer to your due date the Bill will get passed and you can forget about all this "Garbage"!!!! Cheers, Clark
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. hopefully by then i will be exempt.
joeg
Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well my reg came in Saturday. Printed on top it states this vehicle must be emissions compliant by 7/3 the day my reg expires. i'm going to mail it right back in with the money and see what happens. If it doe's not get registered i will go thru the emissions test and see what happens. If the law pass'es then
i will be all set. It' a pain in the $$$ having all this fall on the date of a hopeful new law exempting us.
joeg
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Joe,
Best of luck to you. You will be ok if the bill passes. You always have the oop's im sorry im late can we do it later approach.........
Old 05-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

joeg:

Some answers to your questions:

http://www.ctemissions.com/expectations.html

The GA Tracking Site for 1400 has not been updated since 5/9, not aware at this time of any amendments to Section 38 regarding the Composite emissions exemption. The 2006 DMV Bill was finalized on 5/22 and signed by the Governor on 6/2
Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the dmv cashed my check for registration. Checked online banking and it cleared. Waiting now to see what comes in the mail. Maybe i was reregisterd before my emssion's or there is some note in there with conditions. Should know Friday or Saturday
joeg
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As indicated on the CGA Tracking site, Bill 1400 is making it's way thru the various Committees

From a conversation with a Transportation Committee Staff member:

* They are not aware of anything, at this time, that would alter Section 38, the emissions exemption for Composites.

* 1400 is followed to make sure it does not get bogged down in any one Committee. i.e., " Rules Suspended ", to move it as quickly as possible to each Committee and then to the GA for a vote.

* Updates to the tracking site are anywhere from 0 to 2 or 3 days after the action has taken place, this is normal

* An unknown is how many other Committees 1400 will be referred to

Remember, until the Senate and House vote to pass 1400 and the Governor signs, while there have been no objections to Section 38 as of this date, amendments to Section 38 are still possible.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well today my reg came in the mail and i'm reregistered till 09.
Made my day. Now i can wait and see what happens with the emission's bill before i have to go thru all the b/s for the test. If it passes, then im all set and won't need to go.
joeg
Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Bill 1400 Update

I think I'm going to have heart failure. Our bill has gone through so many committees that we are getting closer to the end of the legislative session. So far nobody has objected to our exemption. Bill is now in Senate with an amendment offered by Senators Looney and DeFronzo but does not change our part of the bill. Hopefully the vote will be after the holiday on tuesday but who knows!!!! I'm worried there is not enough time to get bill through the house if Senate approves.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DMV Bill 1400 Update

Reference:

As of 5/31. the DMV Bill has been passed by the Senate and transmitted to the House. In reviewing the combined Senate and House Committee votes, the Bill did not receive any Nay votes at the Committee level.

While close to the end of the CGA session next week, the Transportation Committee staff has previously mentioned they attempt to work as closely as possible with the CGA Leadership on the annual DMV Bill so that the Bill can be acted upon.

Still possible a House member could introduce an amendment, as did the Senate, but let's hope all the revisions were handled at the Committee level and in the Senate

With the Senate amendments, the Composite Emission Exemption, is now in Section 35.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 1400 Senate Vote

Senate Roll Count Vote:

Total Number Voting 36

Necessary for Adoption 19

Those voting Yea 36

Those voting Nay 0

Those absent and not voting 0

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/VOTE/S/20...SB01400-SV.htm

............looking good !!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe for once our so called elected officials will do some good.
People wonder why there is so much apathy regarding politicians. Once there in, there in for life.
joeg
Old 06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

So what exactly does all this mean ? I am new to this, I want to buy a cobra without a bunch of HASSLE. From what I know from CT MVD is, Never a straight answer! From what I gather, if I dont buy a car that is presently registered in CT, I will have to go thru the total inspection just as if I just built it myself, also , it will not matter what year the prior owner built and registered it in his state, it swill be treated as a brand new composite and will also fall in the 2007 standards for emissions for composite, which would be 1980 regular car standards! Is my understanding correct???
Old 06-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From what I gather, if I dont buy a car that is presently registered in CT, I will have to go thru the total inspection just as if I just built it myself,

Yes, must be inspected and meet all the DMV requirements for a Composite, i.e. CT term for kit cars and replicas.

it will not matter what year the prior owner built and registered it in his state, it swill be treated as a brand new composite

Yes

and will also fall in the 2007 standards for emissions for composite, which would be 1980 regular car standards! Is my understanding correct?

DMV Bill 1400 which is referenced in the most recent previous replys on this Thread has passed the Senate and is in the House for vote. If passed by the CGA and signed by the Governor, will add Composites to the emission exemption category, effective 7/1/07.

The Bill does not have anything to do with the Composite inspection and registration procedures, just emission exemption. Within this thread are references to the inspection etc and links to the registration documents such as R-157.

Last edited by Don; 06-03-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
From what I gather, if I dont buy a car that is presently registered in CT, I will have to go thru the total inspection just as if I just built it myself,

Yes, must be inspected and meet all the DMV requirements for a Composite, i.e. CT term for kit cars and replicas.

it will not matter what year the prior owner built and registered it in his state, it swill be treated as a brand new composite

Yes

and will also fall in the 2007 standards for emissions for composite, which would be 1980 regular car standards! Is my understanding correct?

DMV Bill 1400 which is referenced in the most recent previous replys on this Thread has passed the Senate and is in the House for vote. If passed by the CGA and signed by the Governor, will add Composites to the emission exemption category, effective 7/1/07.

The Bill does not have anything to do with the Composite inspection and registration procedures, just emission exemption. Within this thread are references to the inspection etc and links to the registration documents such as R-157.
Thanks a lot for the clarification Don...well, at least the emission part will be OK!
I think the reg thing is ridiculous, if it has been registered and safety inspected by anouther state, it should be just the same as buying any out of state vehicle!!!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill 1400 Update:

RENEW1 was tuned into the House session this afternoon and heard the passage of Bill 1400 which included in Section 35, the Emission Exemption for Composites, the Senate having approved the Bill last week. While the Governor has not yet signed, passage by the General Assembly hopefully establishes the direction to be taken There is every expectation the Governor will sign 1400 as passed by the Senate and House.

The CGA Tracking site has not yet been updated for the House vote.

Considering the multitude of possible obstacles , a significant accomplishment for the CT hobbyist and Composite businesses such as ERA and Vintage Motorsports/Backdraft Racing. The support at the Public Hearing and written testimony greatly contributed to the inclusion of the Composite Emission Exemption in the DMV Bill.

RENEW1 started the process when he had initially contacted Representative Claire Janowski and she introduced Bill 5790, which eventually for the Composite Emission Exemption portion was included in the DMV 1400 Bill.

Should anyone want to pass on their comments to the Legislators:

Transportation Committee Co-Chairs:

DeFronzo@senatedems.ct.gov ( Senator )

Tony.Guerrera@cga.ct.gov ( Representative )

Transportation Committee Member and Sponsor of the Composite Emission Exemption

Claire.Janowski@cga.ct.gov ( Representative )

Last edited by Don; 06-04-2007 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys
Thanks a lot for the clarification Don...well, at least the emission part will be OK!
I think the reg thing is ridiculous, if it has been registered and safety inspected by anouther state, it should be just the same as buying any out of state vehicle!!!!!
I know you would consider me jaded... however I have experience in dealing with the varying inspection and registration procedures in other states and I for one feel much safer given the process that CT follows. I prefer having another set of eyes sign off on the safety and road worthiness of the vehicles. The system is actually a very nice way of protecting some people from themselves