April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

It's not the sytems"job" to protect people from themselves.

You just put a "spin" on saying you have no problem with big brother reaching further into our lives where "he" has no business being.

A perfect example would be requiring "screens" on side pipes.Fing ridculous.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill
It's not the sytems"job" to protect people from themselves.

You just put a "spin" on saying you have no problem with big brother reaching further into our lives where "he" has no business being.

A perfect example would be requiring "screens" on side pipes.Fing ridculous.
Perhaps I need to spell it out a little further... there are some people who really should not be assembling vehicles that share the road with the rest of us (I've seen bodies held on with lag bolts to the "frame" and some other horrors on some crafty assemblies) this kind of craftiness has 2 potential problems for the rest of us:

1.) They can lose control or have a failure and affect our ability to safely travel on the same streets.
2.) They can lose control or have a failure and not only affect our ability to find companies willing to insure these vehicles but also call the wrong attention to really get your "big brother" involved and eliminate the class entirely.

Last edited by Cashburn; 06-04-2007 at 05:38 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Another perspective, I have no problems with the CT inspection and registration procedures, especially if the vehicle is home assembled. Just the thought of an extremely light weight vehicle with unlimited power is enough to ask for common sense in protecting the general public.

My original frustration was in not having a single source for specifing the procedures and regulations and not having done my homework regarding a Composite. If I was to register a Composite today, while maybe more time consuming than a production vehicle, no doubt that it should only take one visit to Wethersfield. Everyone's input on this Thread has now allowed for a more informed and organized experience.

Forgot the name of the Insurance Company, but it would not issue a policy for a replica or kit car if it was home built , policies only for those built by professionals which had to be identified. The last time I checked, Hagerty stopped writing new policies on Cobras due to the high number and amount of the claims

As far as the pros and cons of side pipe guards, when stopping anywhere, I am very conscious of anyone approaching to look, especially children that may not be aware of the hot pipes.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

House Vote on DMV Bill 1400:

Total Number Voting 146

Necessary for Passage 74

Those voting Yea 146

Those voting Nay 0

Those absent and not voting 5

Overall, for DMV Bill 1400, containing Section 35 w/ Composite Emission Exemption, there were no Nay votes.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

Has the gov signed the bill?

joeg
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joeg:

I had previously asked the Executive Branch to define the next steps and the timing, no response. The Secretary of State's office is also involved, 1400 will become a Public Act with a new number. There seems to be different explanations as to the exact number of days the Governor has to sign after passage by the CGA, not sign by veto, allow to become law with no action, etc., etc.,

For comparison purposes, the schedule for the 2006 DMV Bill:

6/2/2006 Signed by the Governor
5/22/2006 Transmitted to the Secretary of State
5/15/2006 (LCO) Public Act 06-130
5/2/2006 In Concurrence

The progress of the 2007 Bill 1400 can be monitored by accessing the CGA tracking site, Bill History

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...ll_num=SB01400

Section 35 of DMV Bill 1400 having the Composite Emissions Exemption has an effective date of 7-1-2007

Last edited by Don; 06-07-2007 at 03:50 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 webbers
Not Ranked     
Default conn emissions legislation

Does anyone know if the rule change exempting composite cars which was attached to some legislation made it through at the last minute. as of 6/12 the emissions guys in Cheshire were still searching to find out.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don.....check the CGA tracking site for 1400:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...ll_num=SB01400

Bill has not yet made it, according to the Bill History, to the Secretary of State to be converted to a Public Act nor given to the Govenor.

Guess on my part, until these steps are completed, there probably would not be any communication to DMV/Emissions to make changes . Section 35 having the Composite Emissions Exemption is still showing a CGA approved effective date of 7-1

Last edited by Don; 06-12-2007 at 09:33 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update of 6-14, Senate Bill 1400 has been designated by the Secretary of State as Public Act 07-167
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

So is it law? Can i skip my emission test due by7/3

joeg
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Kudos to all those who made this happen!

Bob
Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joeg........the CGA tracking site has not indicated the Governor has signed the Public Act. I checked with the Transportation Committee staff a few days ago and they, as Staff personnel , were not personally aware of any discussions or reasons why the Governor would not sign. However, until signed, another step to complete.

When the Governor does sign, I will check with the DMV Emissions Co-ordinator regarding the implementation/effective date of 7-1, and then post the message.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #390, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Is it soup yet?

Hey Don,

Any word if it's been signed yet?
I couldn't find anything on ct web sites,

Jerry
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry:

As of this AM, Bill 1400 has not been signed by the Governor. The last signing update for other Bills was on Wednesday June 20th. With the CT budget discussions finished, might allow time for the Bill signing process on 1400 and other Bills.

Not sure on the timing of the process after the General Assembly is out of session. One version is that if the Governor does not take any action in 15 days from the date declared as a Public Act, June 15th, the Bill is approved w/o a signature. If someone definetly knows the procedure, correct or agree ?

Will post when/if there is a signing

Don
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #390, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default The Answer?

Don,
I did some further searching, and this is what I found, on http://www.cga.ct.gov/hco/eob.htm

"Action by the Governor

If the Governor receives the bill while the legislature is in session, he has five calendar days, exclusive of Sundays and holidays, in which to sign it or return it to the house in which it originated with a statement of his objections. In the latter case, the bill may be reconsidered and, if passed by at least two-thirds of the members of each house of the General Assembly, it becomes law. If the Governor does not sign or veto the bill within five calendar days after the same has been presented to him, Sundays and holidays excepted, it automatically becomes law unless the General Assembly has adjourned the regular or special session. If the regular or special session has adjourned, the bill becomes law unless the Governor, within fifteen calendar days after it has been presented to him, transmits it to the Secretary of the State with his objections."

So, unless Gov. Rell has responded to the Secretary of State with objections, it would appear to be law no later than the July 1st enactment date!

Last edited by jdebaun; 06-26-2007 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry:

Question to the Governor's staff aide:

" Realizing the Governor has been busy with the Budget process, is SB 1400 /Public Act 07-167 on the agenda for review and signing ? "

Reply received at 11:30 AM this morning:

" The Governor will give this bill due consideration when it reaches her desk. "

Since 1400 has a wide variety of Sections and topics, might explain the delay. No mention in the reply of any specfic time frame or process.

The last entry in the CGA Tracking site was back on 6/15 when the Bill was sent to the Secretary of State

Don
Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
The last entry in the CGA Tracking site was back on 6/15 when the Bill was sent to the Secretary of State

Don
Don,
I also believe it becomes law if she does nothing for 15 days after the session closes if both houses signed off on the bill, all see here:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/html/bill.pdf#45159
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the clarification provided by Jerry and Steve, the 15 days counting weekends is Saturday June 30th, with the weekends excluded Thursday July 5th, counting Wednesday July 4th

Either way, with no NAY votes in the House or Senate, anticipating a favorable action by the Governor

As soon as 1400 is officially a Public Act, I will be in contact with the DMV Emissions Co-ordinator as the effective date for Section 35 is July 1st, requesting the procedures for those that have alreday received a notification for July and August emissions tests.

............getting closer and closer
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

If I ever wind up moving to CT, I want to thank all of you in advance that made this happen! Great news for CT Cobra owners.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BILL NOTIFICATION
RELEASE No. 21

Governor M. Jodi Rell signed the following legislation of the 2007 Session on the date indicated after the title of the bill:

P.A. 07-167
s.S.B. 1400 AN ACT CONCERNING THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
This Act passed as amended by Senate Amendment Schedules A and B and shall take effect as follows: Sections 1-5, 24, 27, 46, and 48-50 shall take effect upon passage, which is the day the Governor signed the bill; Sections 6-23, 31, 36, 39-41 and 44-45 shall take effect October 1, 2007; Sections 25-26, 28-30, 32-35, 37-38, 42-43 and section 47 shall take effect July 1, 2007. The Governor signed the bill on June 25, 2007.

Emissions Exemptions for Composites is section 35, effective 7-1-07

Last edited by Don; 06-27-2007 at 07:07 AM..