April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Don,

Many thanks for your tremendous efforts with the passage of this bill. Composite owners now and in the future owe you big time. Way to go.!!!

Stu
Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Stu, thanks , but...... there are many, many individuals that participated in the effort, Initially, RENEW 1 had a bill started, 5790, for the Composite Emissions exemption. His initiative started the entire process

After the Public hearing, the intent of 5790 got folded into the annual DMV Bill, 1400, by the Transportation Committee.

I hestitate to mention by name, do not want to leave any one out, those that attended the Public Hearing and/or submitted written testimony, both individual hobbyists and business owners, approx 8 to 10. If inclined, join in with your thoughts. Also, the support of Representative Claire Janowski who had filed 5790 for RENEW 1

The feedback I received was the Transportation Committee Senators and Representatives were impressed, both with the turnout and the sincere testimony, written and at the Public Hearing, that was done personally as private citizens.

Too many times we hear negatives regarding the DMV. Had it not been for the great assistance of a DMV staff individual, we would not have known the number of registered Composites in the state, low 300 compared to over 3,000,000 passenger car registrations. Just one point in the overall reasoning for requesting the exemption

Nice to see a win for the CT hobbyist and Composite owners !!

Last edited by Don; 06-27-2007 at 08:07 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Don,

Thanks for clarifying...many thanks to All who sacrificed time and effort for the benefit of all composite owners in the stae. Now maybe I just won't move.

Stu
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

HIP HIP HOORAY & THANKS TO ALL.......
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Smile My Thanks to All

As Don has already posted, I will be brief. Perseverance and making contact with the right people made the difference. Claire Janowski took on this bill knowing that many would be against it. She and a DMV person were clever in incorporating our modified 5790 in the yearly DMV bill. That alone was the most important thing done to insure bill passage. There were others involved who shall remain nameless, as requested, and I have personally thanked them.

I would also like to thank Don for making me believe we could do it. His positive attitude throughout was important to me.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

And a big thanks to this forum, where details were communicated among the many enthusiasts who helped make it happen!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 390 Stroked to 418
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks alot,I didn't think it could be done.

This is amazing seeing how very little gets done in the Ct. govt. You guys are the best ,thanks again. That takes off a lot of worries for Cobra and other kit car owners and future owners.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 192 427S.O.
Not Ranked     
Default Finally

Hi Everybody: First , as an owner of an ERA and enthusiast of the hobby, thanks to all that were involved and helped this law pass. Man, the wheels of the lawmakers turn in reverse sometimes, but, in spite of themselves, somehow come out on the right side of the track. I was personally involved in the public testimony in Hartford, and what an honor to be a part of. If it were not for this forum, and its gatekeepers, would I even have known about this, let alone been able to participate. So HALLELUYA (or however the he.. you spell it)!!! Dbuggs427
Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Great news!! Thanks to all the instigators and all the letter writers. I have a Pond block sitting in my basement...I was planning on putting a wimp cam in it to try to sneak by emissions...Not now!! It's getting the bad-boy cam!!

phil
Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

Don,
As you seem to understand this bill and the bills passage could you write a "Readers Digest" version explaining, in lay terms, what the bill actually means to a current or future owner of a composite (Cobra) in CT? Can a Cobra now be registered as a '65? Can it wear vintage/early American plates? Usage limitations. Property tax valuations and so on. Thanks in advance.
RB
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I think it means your 2007 Composit does not have to pass an emissions test. I don't think it means you're getting antique plates.

Bob
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RB:

I will make an attempt, but this topic is new to me over the past few months and continues to be a learning experience. I invite others to offer comments and/or corrections

The brief Technical version:

Sec. 35. Subsection (c) of section 14-164c of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective July 1, 2007):

provision for a periodic inspection of air pollution control equipment and compliance with or waiver of exhaust emission standards or compliance with or waiver of on-board diagnostic standards or other standards defined by the Commissioner of Environment

Such regulations shall apply to all motor vehicles registered or which will be registered in this state except:

(12) vehicles that have met the inspection requirements of section 14-103a and are registered by the commissioner as composite vehicles.

The Governor signed Public Act No 07-167 containing Section 35 on June 25, 2007, Composites added to the Emission Testing Exemption effective as of 7-1-2007.

The Reader's Digest version:

Previously there were eleven ( 11 ) categories of vehicles that were exempt from emissions testing. SB 1400 aka Public Act 07-167 Section 35 added to the law/regulation stated above , a 12th category for emission exemptions which applies to all currently registered Composites and future Composite registrations., effective July 1, 2007. Adding the make designation of Composites is the significant change. When reviewing the DMV report of make by year, Composites are listed just like any other mass production make, such as Ford, Honda, Dodge, etc., etc

Nothing else changes as far as the safety inspection at Wethersfield, model year will continue to be the year first registered in CT and make is a Composite, same Tax Assessment method to establish value, designation as a kit car/replica for insurance purposes ( not all Agents are familiar with the term Composites ), maximum dB for the side pipes, registration fees are the same , standard issue plates ( vanity plates can be ordered ) etc., etc.,

Composites and other vehicles which have a model year of 20 years ago were already exempt from emissions, examples being my 1969 AMX and 1979 pick-up. Composites can also be street rods, not just kit cars

Other:

What you may be relating to is the model SEMA legislation, used as is or modified by other states, which was not being favorably received. Refer back to RENEW1's recent posting when the emission exemption for Composites was added to the DMV Bill.

I made an inquiry to the DMV Emissions Co-ordinator as to what action, if any, those that have received an emission test date reminder for July or later need to take, awaiting a reply which I will post

Just as an aside, there is a vast amount of information available on the Executive Branch and General Assembly web sites. Fortunetly, the DMV, Governor's staff and General Assembly staff were extremely helpful in identifing specific links.

Hope this helps, if not, let me know

Don
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

Now i don't have to go to emission's.
Great work. thanks

joeg
Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did not receive a reply from the DMV Emissions Co-ordinator, but the following is posted on the Exempt screen for the CT Emissions Program, note the 4th item, looks like it really did happen !!

Exempt Vehicles

There are some exemptions to the program, particularly newer models, many older vehicles, motorcycles and other specialized vehicles:

* New vehicles that are four or less model years old (as of 1/1/07 model years, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008).
* A motor vehicle twenty five-years old or older, (as of 1/1/07, model years 1983 and older).
* Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds, such as certain heavy-duty trucks or recreational vehicles
* Composite Vehicles ( Effective July 1, 2007)
* Electric-powered vehicles
* Bicycles with motors attached
* Motorcycles
* Certain vehicles registered but not designed primarily for highway use
* Farm vehicles
* Class-1 School Buses
* Vehicles with Dealer, Repairer, or Transporter Plates while official tests are obtained

http://www.ctemissions.com/exempt.html

I was previously advised, forgot the source, the model year exemption had been changed to 20 years, but the above indicates 25 years ?

Last edited by Don; 06-29-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Getting back to other topics, anyone have any recent experiences at Wethersfield with the paperwork, safety inspection and registration process for their Composite ? Especially after 7-1 when the emission test is exempt
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since passage of the Composite Emissions Exemption on July 1, I have been advised of only one unique situation . DMV legal has interpreted the emission exemption in the Public Act applies only to a " Composite " and the make in the title/registration must be specified as a Composite. Comments from Ed in CT:

"The word composite must appear in your title. The car must have been inspected by Connecticut DMV at time of initial registration.It must have a five digit VIN number. If your Cobra does not meet these three criteria, you are not exempt from emissions testing.In my case I have the word "Assembled" and not "Composite" in my title. I remember four years ago when I registered it, the woman asked me how I wanted to call it for registration. I had no idea. I told her to call it whatever they call other Cobras.My car came from Michigan where it was registered with a 13 digit VIN number. They did a VIN check and gave me my registration papers. The bottom line is I'm not exempt from emissions testing.

If you purchased your car out of state, you are not exempt from emissions testing. I asked how to get the word "composite" in my title and change my VIN number. I was told it's a one shot deal at time of initial registration and can't be changed. The exemption will help those who were fortunate enough to get "composite" in their title, had it inspected and initial registration in Connecticut and got a five digit VIN number. Everyone else is still required to get emissions testing done. "

Ed has discussed his situation with the DMV and Emissions, appears the only solution to receive the exemption is to have the Composite registration and safety inspection, as if the replica Cobra was being registered in CT for the first time . Or, continue to have emission testing.

When researching the DMV report for makes by year, there were abbreviations used for Composite, such as Compo etc etc., My registration has the abbreviation Compo with an originally scheduled emissions test date of no later than August 15, 2007. When entering my Composite CT VIN , the test date is still appearing, I do not know if this is just an Administrative delay in changing the program or the system only recognizes " Composite " and not the abbreviation Compo. Referencing the 3 points that Ed mentions, I have the CT VIN and a passed composite inspection, otherwise the VIN would not have been issued.

http://www.ctemissions.com/testdate.html

Has anyone with an abbreviation for Composite, such as Compo, in their registratio/title gone for an emission test since July 1 ? How does the registration/title for the make on your Cobra appear, full word Composite or an abbreviation ?
Attempting to determine if further clarification is needed regarding the use of the abbreviation ( Compo etc ) by the DMV before the expiration of the emissions test date. If anyone has the full make name of Composite on their registration, can you search by VIN on the above emissions test date web site and advise if a test date still appears ? Or, the abbreviation of Compo is a recognized standard by the DMV.

Hopefully, just a minor administrative detail to resolve..................

Last edited by Don; 08-06-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Don,
Very interesting update. My title states "COMP" not sure whose interpreting what.??? And useing the link above it states mine is due "12/28/2010" ???
i tell you dmv could screw up a "W$t Dre$%*"....
Old 08-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received a quick reply from Dan Jalbert, DMV Emissions Co-ordinator. The system changes to recognize the Composite emissions exemption along with all the other DMV changes that took place on July 1st are still being processed. I provided my CT VIN and registration plate number to Dan and he manually updated the exempt file, as my due date was August 15th.

You may want to check your emissions test due date and as the date approaches, contact Dan if the system changes have yet to be made. Provide the CT VIN and registration plate number. Dan also mentioned the abbreviations for Composite will be recognized.

Dan's e-mail address:

Dan.Jalbert@ct.gov
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I received a quick reply from Dan Jalbert, DMV Emissions Co-ordinator. The system changes to recognize the Composite emissions exemption along with all the other DMV changes that took place on July 1st are still being processed. I provided my CT VIN and registration plate number to Dan and he manually updated the exempt file, as my due date was August 15th.

You may want to check your emissions test due date and as the date approaches, contact Dan if the system changes have yet to be made. Provide the CT VIN and registration plate number. Dan also mentioned the abbreviations for Composite will be recognized.

Dan's e-mail address:

Dan.Jalbert@ct.gov
So where is this due date...I just bought and registered my Cobra 2 weeks ago, so I dont even have a title yet, they took the title from the previous owner that I gave them. I live in CT
Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go to the web site and on the right hand side enter the CT VIN, from the registration, that was issued after passing the Composite Inspection. Include the CT before the 5 numeric digits. Your Cobra has Composite, Comp or Compo on the registration as the make ?

Search for Your Test Date
Enter Your Vehicle Identification Number

Not sure what will appear since the inspection/registration took place after July 1 ? How did the Inspectors at Wethersfield handle the paperwork since the Composite emission test is no longer required ?