17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I can ask the dealer when I see him. He had a 3rd party take it through. We had the thing extra quiet though. You would never guess a Roush 392AL was under the hood.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Jay & Mike:

Which make/style of sound trapps are you using ? Is it as simple as bolting the trapp to the turn out ? The trapp is round and the turn out is oval, but it still works ok ? Or, am I missing the point on how to use these trapps

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

No traps here.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

I fabricated a 1/4" threaded rod that bolts to the back side of the exhaust(yes a small hole wont kill ya) and throught the trap w/ a nut. The trapp fits pretty good considering the round to oval. Ill try to take some pics for you...

-Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I added a May 3rd update edit to the initial posting mentioning items from the replies etc., etc.,

Anyone have any new input ?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New Composite Emmission Standards for 2007

Reference the following which was included in the DMV web site for Composites. I had not seen any news items etc mentioning the change. Would the interpretation be correct that after January 2007, it will be more difficult for a Composite/Kit Car to pass the emissions test ?

" The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station. Some vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles."

" Note: Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles."

Last edited by Don; 05-07-2006 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update:

NOTE: Update as of May 11th:

" Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation. The loudness is affected not only by the mufflers utilized, but also by any engine modifications. There can be two different vehicles with the same exhaust system, however, they may have different engine modifications. One of the vehicles will pass the noise level measurement test and the other vehicle may not. "

CT DMV Section 14-80a-4a , Allowable Noise Levels since Jan 1, 1979. The maximum dB for a stationary test is 72 dB for soft site( grass ) and 74 dB for hard site ( pavement ). Section 14-80a-9a mentions the distance for measuring the dB. The baseline is 48 feet or more but less than 58ft. An adjustment to the dB reading is made up or down for readings either closer or farther away than the baseline range. The max reading is 81 dB for a hard site, highway operation above 35MPH, using the 48 to 58 ft baseline for measuring.
_____

Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CT dB noise emissions standards

Go to:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=801&Q=252796

Scroll Down to " Are Glass Packs Legal " and click on
Sec 14-80a-1 through 14-80a10a

Should get the PDF file,"Maximum Permissible Noise Standards", on pages 164 to 166 is Section 14-80a-7a Measurements of Noise Emissions, which is the standard the DMV Inspectors should be using for testing , the test site diagram is on page 166. May or may not be a good idea, but depending how the inspection is going, ask the Inspector if they are follwing the standard mentioned above which is Sec 14-80a-1a to 14-80a-10a

The test site diagram, for the 35 mph test, must, I think but not sure, be a side reading as the test should be conducted as the vehicle approaches and drives by. Otherwise, from the rear or front the vehicle would be accelerating, not a constant 35 MPH

For the 35 MPH simulated test where they ask to accelerate the motor, might want to consider not exceeeding a RPM than the equivalent of 35 MPH in high gear. When I was racing the motor to a quick full throttle, really got some extrteme high readings as the RPM far exceeded the equivalent of 35 MPH.

Car Chemistry and Vortex Cone both mentioned their hardware is most effective as close as possible to the primaries.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I guess on closer readng, they actually are doing a stationary test as explained in one of the sections. In that case the limit is looks like it may be 74dB...I'm screwed.

Stu
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Are there any "SEMA" bills in the legislation for CT for composites such as other states.????
Old 07-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had been referencing the Composite standards R-157 dated REV 10/99 and just became aware there is an update with REV 12/04:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

Takes awhile to load even with DSL

" Properly located and shielded side exhaust may be allowed in compliance with departmental side exhaust standards*. Passenger vehicles equipped with exhaust pipes exiting to the side, forward of the rear axle, must extend rearward beyond any passenger openings, Exhaust header pipes extending to the outside of vehicle frame rails must be shielded from excessive heat and not protrude beyond the extreme outer edge of the front or rear tires, whichever is narrower, so as not to pose a hazard to occupants or pedestrians"

* standard was not defined

Appears the above change and other changes from the 10/99 document are specifically directed for compliance by Cobras and T-Buckets, such as those made by Total Performance
Old 08-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Composite Standards Summary from DMV

i asked the CT DMV to summarize and add the web links regarding registering a Composite, attached is the reply. Note that the summary did not include reference to the document R-157, Composite, which has the detail specs

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

From CT DMV:

Composite Vehicles

A composite motor vehicle is defined by statute as "Any motor vehicle, composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed as such in the State of Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle."

Before a composite vehicle can be registered, the following requirements must be met:

* Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane by appointment only. Please contact the DMV Phone Center to schedule an appointment.

Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer.

* The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station <http://www.ctemissions.com/station-search.html> . Some vehicles are exempt <http://www.ctemissions.com/exempt.html> from emissions testing. To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles <http://www.ctemissions.com/exempt.html> .

Note: Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles.

* Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component parts or one Title, plus receipts, for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the vehicle identification number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).Sales tax will be based or credited from the receipts.

* An Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle <http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-95.pdf> (form R-95) must be completed and be accompanied by two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership. An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title <http://www.dmvct.state.ct.us/H13FORM.HTM> (form H-13) must also be completed.

* At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."

The current inspection fee is $88 and a fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.

Note: No appointment is necessary for a re-inspection, however, the re-inspection must still be performed at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane.

If we can further assist you, you may contact our Telephone Center at: 1-860-263-5700 or visit our website at DMVCT.ORG

NOTE:

the web links:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-95.pdf

http://www.dmvct.state.ct.us/H13FORM.HTM

http://www.ctemissions.com/station-search.html

http://www.ctemissions.com/exempt.html

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=884&Q=246430

A general site:

http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/custom-built-cars.php

Last edited by Don; 01-17-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Though we are working on setups to meet the new January 2007 requirements... the best thing for CT residents that are pondering a Cobra purchase would be to do it before then to grandfather themselves in at the easier standard.

The process in the state has also made the purchase of a used and already titled Cobra from another state of no benefit since you cannot avoid the inspection. This is one thing many people find out later.

In other words... buy now and buy new from us BTW we actually had a pleasant inspection experience yesterday ... it is possible.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay's comment on registering an out of state Cobra or any replica/composite, i learned the hard way when attempting to use the out of state paperwork for registering a pre-owned Cobra.

However, all the original out of state paperwork including a single Bill of Sale which did not include the drive train etc., was more than acceptable for payment of the Sales Tax, no questions ( smile )

A number of weeks ago I asked CT Emissions to define the specfic 2007 emissions measurments for pre-tesing Composite tuning, but after numerous follow-up, they have not responded.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Don,

The way that emissions statement reads, I'm afraid that I'll never be able to have a Cobra, big block or otherwise. It's a real shame. I just bought my own engine stand. I was planning on building a 427. I'm really, really sad.

phil
Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil:

I sent another follow-up to DMV Emissions, if/when I receive a reply, I will post.

Don

Date: August 13, 2006 9:51:55 AM EDT
To: Dan Jalbert <Dan.Jalbert@dmvct.org>
Subject: Fwd: New 2007 Emissions Standards for Composite/Kit/Replica Cars ?

Hi Dan:

Dan, have the actual emissions measurement numbers been published for the 2007 Composite standard. A number of individuals are in the process of building or will be starting within the near future. I did contact Emissions directly, but did not receive a reply.

My assumption, the year of the engine block will not be taken into consideration for the emissions test ? Correct or ?

Thanks again for the assistance

Regards

Don

Begin forwarded message:

Date: May 5, 2006 3:18:40 PM EDT

Subject: RE: New 2007 Emissions Standards for Composite/Kit Cars ?

Hi Don

We are still waiting for the final outpoints and when I receive them, I will forward that info to you.
As for the web site they are informing people building composites of upcoming changes.

Dan
Old 08-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

It's good to see the State of Connecticut EPA is so concerned with emissions from these cars. It's too bad they're not at all concerned with the tons of emissions from paint, boats, race cars, lawn mowers, snow blowers, 2-cycle trimmers, chain saws, leaf blowers and the like.

Obviously someone at DMV has a bug up their butt regarding reproduction cars. Eventually they will all be registered out of state.

Maybe the EPA should consider carbon dioxide a pollutant (which it is) and get all these Hummers off the road.

Bob
Old 08-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I posted the following reply to a similar thread in 2003 and can't help but feel again the same anger and frustration towards the CT MVD which prompted me to post then.

Quote:
We lived in CT for a total of about 11 years altogether on two separate occasions and it sure seems to me that being an A$$HOLE with an axe to grind is almost a prerequisite for working at the CT MVD. Correction: being a stupid A$$HOLE with an axe to grind. An A$$HOLE of normal intelligence with an axe to grind wouldn't use a freakin' extension cord and a tape measure to check ground clearance! I'm sure the guy who told you it was less than 4" didn't actually know how much under 4" 3-7/8" really is. We did run into a few considerate people at the CT MVD from time to time, but, for the most part, it seems the people who really want to flex their $6/hr worth of authority go to work for the MVD or some other branch of state government.

Conversely, every time we moved back here to IL, I was surprised at how smooth, even pleasant the MVD experience could be, to the point of being told, "Here, Honey, just stand over here at the counter and fill this out, then give it back to me," by the lady with the long red fingernails. Yeah, they did lose my paperwork for three months in Springfield, but the local office took care of me in the meantime, and the inspectors were great when THEY CAME OUT TO THE HOUSE TO INSPECT THE CAR!!!

How sad that residents of one state are forced to provide the entertainment for a bunch of angry, insolent, arrogant, envious pr!cks with chips on their shoulders when those of other states are treated with courtesy and respect.

OK...I'm finished venting. Thanks!

Lowell
Old 08-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Well I guess I'm next in line...my ERA should be complete within the next few months and I'll get my turn with the CT DMV. I'll post my experience with Wethersfield...just gotta make sure I get it there before January!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2007 Composite Standards: Reply from DMV

Reply I received this morning from Dan Jalbert <Dan.Jalbert@dmvct.org>. I do not know what is meant by the exempt comment. Jay, any thoughts ?

Don:

I have not been ignoring your request for composite standards however as you can see by the email below , DMV is still working to get the new cut points as lenient as possible,As for the engine,this is not taken into consideration,just the year of completion of the vehicle, Also just so you know composite vehicles are exempt for the first four years after they are built, and catalytic converters will not be required.

You can check back in a couple of months are if I get the word on a change I will email you with it, as well as CTEMISSIONS

Dan

Dan:

Currently these have not been sorted out to our satisfaction. There is a DEP Regulation indicating that the limits will be 220 ppm HC and 1.2% CO for 2006 and newer Composites. We are trying to get DEP to change the regulation so the 2007 and newer composites will be 300 ppm HC and 1.6% CO but have not received a response back to our request for the change.

Harry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: