Club Cobra Fortes Parts  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Registration Forum

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Trigo Wheels
Trigo Wheels
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Midwest Classic Insurance
Midwest Classic Insurance
October 2014
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Phil, to the best of my knowledge, the emissions portion is still separate from the safety/paperwork Inspection at Wethersfield. If an answer to your question is needed, contact:

Dan Jalbert
DMV Emissions Div
PH # 203-805-6230

Jay, with the new emissions inspection arrangement at the individual garages, how is the emissions testing now being handled ? When the previous system was in use, I trailered the Cobra to the state emissions testing station, could not use temp plates.

Jay, just thought of another point & your opinion. Dealer plates cannot be used to drive the Cobra to Wethersfield. Regulation is a Kit car cannot be driven on the streets until the inspection is passed ? I wonder if the CT inspection could still take place prior to purchase using the original owner's plates/registration for a pre-owned Cobra ?

Last edited by Don; 04-18-2006 at 06:28 AM..
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CT Registration GT40

Sorry for the intrusion on the Cobra owners, but I was told that you guys were the most knowledgable regarding CT kit/composite vehicle registration. I just recently inherited a GT40 from my father and am trying to determine the best way to register the car as a CT resident. My father lived in MA and always had it registered in Maine and never had a problem. I understand that even though the vehicle remains registered in Maine there may still be a requirement to pass CT Composite inspection???

If anyone has any insight into GT40 CT registration and or out of state registration living in CT, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited by v6070; 04-18-2006 at 08:28 AM..
Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, to the best of my knowledge, any type of Kit or assembled car, home or professional built, which includes the SPF etc., the same Composite rules will apply that are mentioned in this Thread.

If there were any unfortunate cicumstances, having a vehicle garaged in one state and registered in another could present challenges, from a property tax ,insurance and emissions point of view, especially if there is a traffic stop with an out of state registration.

What I am not sure of: Can the out of state registration and plates, prior to transfer of title/registration, be used to drive the Composite to Wethersfield for the CT inspection rather than having to bring on a trailer? If the GT40 is registered in CT, the name of the GT40 on the registration and title will be Composite and the year will be the year first registered in CT

Having received different answers to other questions via phone and e-mail, you might want to consider going to Wethersfield and discussing with an informed senior official if you do decide to register in CT. While the standard DMV information desk is helpful for the normal questions, this question, using out of state plates/registration for the inspection, might require an informed ruling. If it is a go, suggest you know the DMV officials name and title, should the Inspectors ask any questions

Last edited by Don; 04-18-2006 at 10:58 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

Our customer went through this morning at 10am with no problems. Hope everyone else made out ok.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

glad to here BackDraft owner went through ok. I had to postpone mine until 8am fri. of next week due to mechanical issues last minute. I put the sound trapps on my car and recorded 68 DBa @ 50ft. Jay do you know if they tested the sound also? My stroked 427 S/O is a little lumpy, if you know what I meen......
-Mike
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can ask the dealer when I see him. He had a 3rd party take it through. We had the thing extra quiet though. You would never guess a Roush 392AL was under the hood.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay & Mike:

Which make/style of sound trapps are you using ? Is it as simple as bolting the trapp to the turn out ? The trapp is round and the turn out is oval, but it still works ok ? Or, am I missing the point on how to use these trapps

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No traps here.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

I fabricated a 1/4" threaded rod that bolts to the back side of the exhaust(yes a small hole wont kill ya) and throught the trap w/ a nut. The trapp fits pretty good considering the round to oval. Ill try to take some pics for you...

-Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I added a May 3rd update edit to the initial posting mentioning items from the replies etc., etc.,

Anyone have any new input ?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New Composite Emmission Standards for 2007

Reference the following which was included in the DMV web site for Composites. I had not seen any news items etc mentioning the change. Would the interpretation be correct that after January 2007, it will be more difficult for a Composite/Kit Car to pass the emissions test ?

" The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station. Some vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles."

" Note: Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles."

Last edited by Don; 05-07-2006 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update:

NOTE: Update as of May 11th:

" Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation. The loudness is affected not only by the mufflers utilized, but also by any engine modifications. There can be two different vehicles with the same exhaust system, however, they may have different engine modifications. One of the vehicles will pass the noise level measurement test and the other vehicle may not. "

CT DMV Section 14-80a-4a , Allowable Noise Levels since Jan 1, 1979. The maximum dB for a stationary test is 72 dB for soft site( grass ) and 74 dB for hard site ( pavement ). Section 14-80a-9a mentions the distance for measuring the dB. The baseline is 48 feet or more but less than 58ft. An adjustment to the dB reading is made up or down for readings either closer or farther away than the baseline range. The max reading is 81 dB for a hard site, highway operation above 35MPH, using the 48 to 58 ft baseline for measuring.
_____

Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CT dB noise emissions standards

Go to:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=801&Q=252796

Scroll Down to " Are Glass Packs Legal " and click on
Sec 14-80a-1 through 14-80a10a

Should get the PDF file,"Maximum Permissible Noise Standards", on pages 164 to 166 is Section 14-80a-7a Measurements of Noise Emissions, which is the standard the DMV Inspectors should be using for testing , the test site diagram is on page 166. May or may not be a good idea, but depending how the inspection is going, ask the Inspector if they are follwing the standard mentioned above which is Sec 14-80a-1a to 14-80a-10a

The test site diagram, for the 35 mph test, must, I think but not sure, be a side reading as the test should be conducted as the vehicle approaches and drives by. Otherwise, from the rear or front the vehicle would be accelerating, not a constant 35 MPH

For the 35 MPH simulated test where they ask to accelerate the motor, might want to consider not exceeeding a RPM than the equivalent of 35 MPH in high gear. When I was racing the motor to a quick full throttle, really got some extrteme high readings as the RPM far exceeded the equivalent of 35 MPH.

Car Chemistry and Vortex Cone both mentioned their hardware is most effective as close as possible to the primaries.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I guess on closer readng, they actually are doing a stationary test as explained in one of the sections. In that case the limit is looks like it may be 74dB...I'm screwed.

Stu
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Are there any "SEMA" bills in the legislation for CT for composites such as other states.????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: