28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was in the DMV about 3 weeks ago, to show them my proof of insurance for my car which I was lucky enough to title with an SB100 in January. While the clerk was doing her damnedest to find some reason to fowl me up again, she stated that my smog was good til 2010. I would need to start getting it smogged every two years then. Being startled by this I didn't wait for the hair on the back of my neck to go down before speaking. I blurted out "it's an SB100 title, it is smog exempt." She said "not according to the computer, it says your next smog is due in 2010." with her ha ha we're the DMV and we are sticking it to you, attitude. I then calmed down and realized from my old Used car dealer days, that she was just another uninformed DMV clerk trying her best to piss me off. I let it go and left. It does make me want to pose the question though; Have we all been fooled by DMV again, and have a surprize coming in 2010. Please let me know your thoughts.

Kirt
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Sorry to change the the subject...But how the he!! dose the DMV get away with charging for "planned nonoperation" I thought it was sad when they charged $5.00 for this But now they charge real money for this AND it's every year! To park your personal car on your own property
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

California only cares about the money!!

Last edited by Rich A; 07-11-2007 at 08:55 PM..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jdog, why didn't you simply go with 'year of block' and do the smog thing? I understand it's easier and simpler to have the SB100, but it's likely your car would have passed emmission testing anyway. Anyone with an ACCURATLY built to 1965 Cobra specs should not have a problem with Calif registration.

Got an SPF or a BDR or many of the FFR's, etc, etc, well, you likely got a problem!

If you running a late model EFI computer controlled small block or modern big block (with 427 emblems on the fenders), I just don't feel your pain. If you want a modern spec "Cobra" then put the smog pump and catalytic converters on it if you want to drive it legally in Calif. You either have a replica of a 1965 Cobra, or you don't, simple as that.

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-11-2007 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A
California only cares about the money!!
No, if that were true they would not limit the number of SB100 registrations per year and they would charge people $2,500 per just for the privilege. Oops! I just gave the State an idea!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Makes a person wonder how long this commonly used phrase will remain true:

"Registered under the coveted "SB-100" (California Senate Bill 100)—that means no smog certification, no registration hassles for the life of the car!"
Old 07-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow Whole engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Jdog, why didn't you simply go with 'year of block' and do the smog thing? I understand it's easier and simpler to have the SB100, but it's likely your car would have passed emmission testing anyway. Anyone with an ACCURATLY built to 1965 Cobra specs should not have a problem with Calif registration.

Ernie, It's not quite that simple, this is California afterall. The entire engine must be year of block compliant. Carb, cam, ect..

BAR did a sniff test anyway just to have something in their computer, I failed misserably!

jdog
P.S. Calif Fish & Game does reserve one or more of those high demand tags each year for 'auction to the highest bidder'. Some $10.00 sheep & elk tags have gone for $25,000!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     
Talking

I built a FFR Cobra in 2003 and registered it under SB100. I had no problems with the CHP, BAR or DMV. The BAR put a smog exempt sticker on my car.

I am now building a GT40. In January, I got my SB100 number and soon will be visiting the same CHP office, smog station, and DMV office. I don't foresee any problems. Maybe it's the DMV office (Thousand Oaks). Each January, they herd all us SB100 hopefuls together and bring us in before the DMV opens up. They process our paperwork as a group, call Sac for the numbers, then call us up when they get them.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

The land of 'fruits and nuts'. To bad, such a beautiful state.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, if that were true they would not limit the number of SB100 registrations per year and they would charge people $2,500 per just for the privilege. Oops! I just gave the State an idea!
RedB
How much did you pay in taxes to register your car?
I KNOW I payed WAY less!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rich A; 07-12-2007 at 09:25 AM..
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
RedB

When doing the initial registration in CA you have to a Use Tax (sales tax) on the car. You provide reciepts for what it cost you to build/buy it and pay that as part of the initial registration. Current sales tax in CA is around 7.5 percent depending on where you are. That's $1500 per 20k of value plus the other reg fees of a couple hundred bucks.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
RedB
I was an honest Joe and told them what I paid for the car. I did not want ANY hassles with this vehicle, so I paid the man and moved on. In fact I ended up paying my taxes at the AAA office "in advance" before I went to the DMV and got my SB100 sequence number.

-Dean
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo
If a move is made to provide folks who seek to correct their registration with additional SB100 numbers (over and above the 500 allocated each year), is there a chance we may awaken them to the idea of doing away with SB100?
I have purposefully approached this bill to be neutral on emissions. The goal is to bring everyone back into compliance with existing law. Any attempt to change emission standards is a non-starter.

Existing law allows SPCN to pass an emission test or to have a SB100 exemption.

Existing law places with BAR the authority on how to do emission testing on SPCN. Via an administrative regulation that was promulgated over 20 years ago, BAR test SPCN based upon the engine, not the model year. As with all administrative rules, it is subject to challenge or change.

SB100 exemptions were legislatively mandated. To increase or decrease the 500 number would require an act of the legislature.

If current rules hold, I do not see any legislative action being offered to increase or decrease SB100 numbers, nor do I see any ever being approved. If BAR rules change to test SPCN based upon model year I would anticipate some sort of legislation being offered by interested parties on both sides. I have no idea what the outcome of that endeavor would be.

Last edited by Morgester; 07-12-2007 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta
Reading through the text of AB 619, it appears that it IS about the money...

"It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting a
vehicle registration amnesty program to improve compliance with state
vehicle registration laws and accelerate and increase collections of
certain owed state fees and taxes
."

I seriously doubt they care about compliance... more likely they're seeing the dollar signs.

yes, I'm distrustful of politicians...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. Morgester has all ready stated, in a previous thread, there is a LOT of money at stake. I believe the estimate approached a million dollars or more. OK, so it's about 'the money', what else is new?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Mr. Morgester has all ready stated, in a previous thread, there is a LOT of money at stake. I believe the estimate approached a million dollars or more. OK, so it's about 'the money', what else is new?
With kit cars and hot rods lost tax revenues are estimated at over 200 million dollars. This legislation will also bring in California RV owners back into the fold that are using out-of-state LLC to avoid taxes. Loss is around $20,000 per RV and we are looking at between 1,000 to 3,000 RVs.

There is also the savings of not having to investigate or prosescute these folks. I am all for being put out of a job.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgester
I have purposefully approached this bill to be neutral on emissions. The goal is to bring everyone back into compliance with existing law. Any attempt to change emission standards is a non-starter.

Existing law allows SPCN to pass an emission test or to have a SB100 exemption.

Existing law places with BAR the authority on how to do emission testing on SPCN. Via an administrative regulation that was promulgated over 20 years ago, BAR test SPCN based upon the engine, not the model year. As with all administrative rules, it is subject to challenge or change.

SB100 exemptions were legislatively mandated. To increase or decrease the 500 number would require an act of the legislature.

If current rules hold, I do not see any legislative action being offered to increase or decrease SB100 numbers, nor do I see any ever being approved. If BAR rules change to test SPCN based upon model year I would anticipate some sort of legislation being offered by interested parties on both sides. I have no idea what the outcome of that endeavor would be.
Excellent.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How much money does the State earn from payroll taxes for all the people that the RV industry employs? How much sales tax does the State earn from all of the goods/services that are ultimately realized from the RV industry for accessories (camping or other), fuel, upgrades, servicing, etc.? And all of the commerce that ensues from investment, hirings, vacation travel, etc.? I'll tell you how much...it's well, well NORTH of the $60 million you are trying to recoup just because the smart money figured out how to register their RVs out of state and a group of politicians doesn't like it.

You guys in Suckramento need to sharpen those pencils a little more and stop worrying about the little leaks in the dam. You're completely forgetting about the real water that is flowing over it.

Bookmark this thread, folks. It's a casebook study in how government thinks and works.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Does CLUB COBRA release personal information of members to governmental authorities? Has such a request been made by state of CA?
Yea, I know I have 20 posts!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

If current rules hold, I do not see any legislative action being offered to increase or decrease SB100 numbers, nor do I see any ever being approved.

THIS IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM WITH THIS LAW!

What are you doing Sir to expand or increase the number greate than 500. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You want all these vehicles to register with the state which you realize is way more than 500 a year yet you make no effort to increase the number greater than 500.

Again the radical environmental left has the tax paying people who live in this State like myself by the nuts because people in Sac care for a select few instead of the State as a whole. I really wish you would respond to my questions.