28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My car was purchased in Nevada with a Nevada title stating it as 1997 Cobra (1997 was the year of first title). Calif DMV would not issue a new registration or title until I cleared the CHP VIN officer. He wouldn't do anything until I had my SB100 in hand. After I received my SB100 number, then I was issued a new VIN number and sent to the BAR then back to the DMV for plates.

The frustrating part for me was that the DMV would not allow me to drive the car or title it in my name. If I was unable to get that SB100 number I still would not have my car that I purchased with my money in my name. I tell you I felt like I had won the state lottery when I finally got that number. My new title states 1997 as the yr. model and 2004 SPCN . It does not say Cobra or 1965 anywhere.

I would say if by my past experience you brought an out of state Cobra into Calif you would need a new Vin #, new title, new registration and of course a SB100 sequence number before you could get any of that.

Feeling lucky to have all that myself.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm new to this forum and am thankful to find it as the most credible information on SB100 on the web.

I'm looking to purchase a Superformance Cobra with a Crate motor that was registered in Ohio as a 1965 cobra. The car is now located in CA and was possibly registered in CA as a 1965 Cobra as well. I do not think it is legally registered. The seller states "Not for sale in CA."

These are my questions I hope to get answered:
1. Is there a situation where it cannot be legally registered in CA even if I were to get lucky and get a SB100 number?

2. Is it possible to apply and get a SB100 number without yet purchasing the vehicle?

3. How does the DMV currently distribute the SB100 numbers (I live in Pleasanton CA)?
-Is there a lottery or does it pay off to be the first one in line on Jan 2nd?
-Is there a form specifically for the SB100 application that I can fill out prior to Jan 2nd?

Thanks for any help on this topic.

Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Welcome to Club Cobra. Your first postings are a very sensitive subject.

Since you are in Livermore, you might want to chat with the guys who meet for Breakfast every Saturday morning at the Rock House - there you will find many guys who can answer your questions in more interactive manner than this forum. However, dont' get me wrong - this forum is full of good people with great experience...

About your specific potential purchase, it may be that is has been flagged by the DMV as "untitle-able", or you may be able to re-title it under SB1578 (like SB100, but for re-titling, as opposed to initial titling - the process is same). Have you asked the seller WHY EXACTLY it is not for sale in CA? This seems like a key question...

Also, given the reasonable number of SPFs with SB100 for sale on the market, you need to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle to buy a replica that needs correcting as opposed to one that is ready to go.

Good luck,
Randy...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 201 427 SO Tunnelport
Not Ranked     

How did SB100 evolve from a bill requiring an inspection "to determine the engine model-year used in the vehicle and emission system application" to fraudulantly regestered vehicles whose owners are subject to prosecution?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1. Is there a situation where it cannot be legally registered in CA even if I were to get lucky and get a SB100 number?

Yes. If DMV found it to be a turn key vehicle (sold as a completed vehicle) it may never be registered in Califoria. To be a SPCN it must be built by the registered owner (R/O) for the R/O's own use and not for resale. A new completed vehicle built for resale doesnt meet SPCN requirements and there is no way to legally register it in Californa.

2. Is it possible to apply and get a SB100 number without yet purchasing the vehicle?

It is possible but it is illegal. You are supposed to own the vehicle that you are getting the SB100 number for. We are seeing some brokers getting SB 100 chits for "future vehicles." A bad practice that may land someone in court.

3. How does the DMV currently distribute the SB100 numbers (I live in Pleasanton CA)?

First come, first serve. This list has great threads on this process.

Dan[/quote]
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbamsc
How did SB100 evolve from a bill requiring an inspection "to determine the engine model-year used in the vehicle and emission system application" to fraudulantly regestered vehicles whose owners are subject to prosecution?
It didn't. The problem is folks that choose to register the vehicle outside the SPCN process by stating it was a 65 Ford to get around emmission testing.

The other problem is that we had sellers that were selling turn key vehicles. A SPCN can not be built for purpose of resale. As a consumer, the easy way to avoid this problem is buy the roller from Company A and have the engine installed by Company B. Of course the vehicle is being built on your behalf for your own use and not for resale. At some later point you are allowed to sell it.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Mr. Morgester
I built my car and registered it in 2002 under SB100 If I sell the car is the SB100 still good?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Mike,

My understanding is that SB100 stays with the car and can be transferred to another owner in California. If the car leaves CA and is registered in another state, then the SB100 is no longer valid.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Mr. Morgester,
The car I'm looking to purchase (Superformance Cobra with Ford Crate motor) was purchased, assembled, and registered in Ohio as a 65 Ford by it's current owner.

If I purchase the vehicle and am able to get the receipts for the roller, engine, and any labor the current owner paid to complete the car, should it be eligible for the SB100?

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812545
Mr. Morgester,
The car I'm looking to purchase (Superformance Cobra with Ford Crate motor) was purchased, assembled, and registered in Ohio as a 65 Ford by it's current owner.

If I purchase the vehicle and am able to get the receipts for the roller, engine, and any labor the current owner paid to complete the car, should it be eligible for the SB100?

Thanks,
Dan,

Hopefully Mr Morgester will respond to you directly, but my impression is "maybe". If the car was illegally registered in CA as a '65 then it may be black flagged if you will, I'm sure there is a better term for it, but something in the DMV computer would indicate it was not legal. If that is the case an SB100 sequence number may not be enough to get it legally titled here in CA. Since your seller says something about cannot be titled in CA I suspect that may be the case, but give the seller a call and ask for details.

As long as no one ever attempted to register it in CA illegally it should be eligible for SB1578 (I think that's the right number, its SB100 for existing vehicles).

Daryl
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812545
Mr. Morgester,

Thanks,
Dan, I don't think that the CA Attorney General's office can answer your question. Questions about specific vehicle titling ought to be directed to the DMV. It is the DMV who will determine whether this specific SPF can be titled or not as an SPCNS. My advice is that you get current owner and the DMV on a conference call to discuss your options. Even if Mr. Morgester replies affirmatively to your question, at the end of the day, it is the DMV who will decide the fate of this vehicle, regardless of any reply from CA AG's office on a public forum.

As I stated in an earlier post, you need to get the details from the seller as to why this vehicle "cannot be sold in CA". Without these details, it is anyone's guess as to if this vehicle can be titled as an SPCNS or not.

YMMV,
Randy...

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 10-23-2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Talk to DMV. Right now there is an interesting issue with out-of-state purchases. The vehicle code requires DMV to give full faith and credit to the out-of-state registration. DMV has not told me what this means - i.e. is it required to be registered as a 65 Ford even though we know it is not?

Best bet is always disclosing the history of the vehicle. Logically it would be considered to be a SPCN and you either have to pass smog based on the SPCN rules or get the SB100 exemption. However, because of the vehicle code requirement with out-of-state titles DMV may set the model year at 1965.

DMV is looking into this; I do not have word at this time how they are going to approach it.

Final word of caution, stay away from turn key vehicles (built by single builder for later sale). These can never be registered as a SPCN in California.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlang14
As long as no one ever attempted to register it in CA illegally it should be eligible for SB1578 (I think that's the right number, its SB100 for existing vehicles).

Daryl
Yup, that is correct. Bought my pre-owned SPF in Dallas, shipped it to Cali, then got my "SB100" number (via the SB1578 ruling) and went through the motions thereafter. Mr. Morgester's last post brings up some interesting internal debates that CA DMV seems to be having on this. Our state could make sooooo much money if they just simplified and expanded (slightly, perhaps to 1,000/yr) the whole process. But it's government so what are you going do?!?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thank God for Kalifornia - if not for the grand Republik, I would live in the most screwed up state in the nation. Now I know after reading all this nonsense I'm only in screwed up state #2. (New York)

What we've got here is a tiny group of cars, traveling a tiny amount of mileage per year as compared to the norm for the rest of those driving in the Republik. Yet, we have the Govenment going after this group with both barrels blazing as if they're public enemy #1.

Lets see, Kalifornia has a health care system being bankrupted by the free flow, virtually unimpeded, of illegal immigrants pouring across their border with impunity, the associated crime and poverty rates that come with that, fires burning the homes of good decent people in the southern half of the state, water shortages, tax rates soaring through the roof, and thousands of other problems, too many to list. So, given all that, what is one of their priorities? Going after "illegally" registered Hot Rods. Amazing, and the fires continue to burn, and the borders continue to overflow. The hospitals continue to bleed red ink. But damn, we did a HELL of a job getting those Cobras and Hot Rods off the road. Sounds like you red hot G men all need to go out for a self congratulatory drink tonight. Mission accomplished, job well done. Long live the Republik.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

After reading about all the horse product one has to weave through to
register these cars in some states I can say Hawaii did finally fix that
problem on Oahu a couple of years ago. It never did exist in the other
islands here - just Honolulu county.

Don't try to start an inter-island ferry service here though!

Flip
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boy I hope the ferry goes through. We could load up the Cobras and tour the Big Island. Wouldn't THAT be a blast!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

The road up the volcano on Maui would be fun too! Write the Congress today ! Go to Super Ferry web site for the address.MAKE IT SO.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Just as a courtesy to the thread starter (who may have "new post" notification turned on for this thread), could we keep the dialog on-topic and specifically for the California members?

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

It's a silly bill when access to SB100 numbers isn't increased at the same time.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast "Grabber Orange"/Silver stripe w/418W 520HP full roller, T5. and: Backdraft #814 RT3B "Black Label" "Magic Black"/Sterling Grey stripe, 408W, full roller, 475HP, T5
Not Ranked     
Default This is REALLY stupid!

Why in the "H" does California come up with these dumb and useless laws on Cobra Replicas? They represent a tiny subfractional part of the cars on the road and are among the cleanest due to the excessive care and maintainance their owners give them, plus they are only driven a couple of thousand miles a year on average. This law has absolutely NOTHIG to do with emissions or air quality and is just one more stupid non-sense law that some idiot politician dreamed up in order to have something to do aside from picking lint out of his naval.
To make these cars "smog compliant" will damage these fine cars, cause harm to the engines as built, and cause significant needless expense to the owners.
I just bought a beautiful Cobra replica with a 425hp 351 Windsor engine. It's titled in Florida as a 1966 Cobra and there was no fraud involved in getting that. Don

Last edited by donraye; 06-08-2008 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: preserve my personal privacy