Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     
Question CHP Appt. Next Week for VIN Assignment

I've got an appointment with CHP office in San Jose next week to get my VIN assigned and have them complete form 343 (Verification of Vehicle).

Other than bringing all of my paperwork from the DMV and the blank form 343, is there anything I need to be prepared for?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4812, 511" SHELBY #578, TWM throttles, electromotive EFI/DIS
Not Ranked     

Don't you dare forget the doughnuts
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug,

Dont forget all your receipts, the CHP is looking for stolen parts.

Also be mentally prepared for them to drill into your frame and assisgn you a VIN number

Good luck,

Daryl
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Mine went inside the driver's door panel. A happy day for sure. Good luck but with the sb100 number in hand you shouldn't need luck...you do have your sb100 sequence number right?

John
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

make sure they write the numbers down right on all forms or you will spend a lot of extra time going back and foward DMV- CHP-DMV-CHP ,ARG.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

Doug:

I have an engraved vin plate from Superformance mounted where the original vins were placed. Has my SPF supplied vin number. CHP was happy to accept that number and didn't feel the need to add additional numbers. I guess it's the officer/office and whether or not you have a vin plate attached. Good luck!!

Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB
Old 10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I had a very similar experience at Terry's... The CHP officer used the SPF number that was stamped on my frame. When I asked if he needed to rivet a CA VIN tag on, he said, "Nope, there's your VIN - right here", pointing to the SPF number stamped on the front cross member.

BTW, I went to the CHP office on Junction in SJ
Old 10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like it's the luck of the draw on the number. I have a vin plate with an assigned number attached to the crossmember of the frame right next to the stamped chasis number from SPF.

A couple of the guys on here with CSX cars were saying that the DMV was accepting the CSX# as an official VIN# and I assumed it was because at one time it was, but it sounds like the number from SPF might qualify as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

My appointment is at the CHP office on Junction in San Jose. Using the SPF chassis number would be ideal, but I'm not overly concerned if they have to apply a VIN. The VIN plate on the later cars only has the chassis number (SPO2613), with no other letters or numbers (like Terry's).

Thanks.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug, I apologize if I'm stealing the thread, but do you need the CHP VIN assignment prior to getting in line in January for the SB100 #? Thank you.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Rod, no, you don't need a VIN before applying for an SB100 Sequence number. You need a VIN in order to complete the titling process. What Doug is doing is getting his VIN first - that's ok.

Doug, My SPF Chassis plate says "SP01019" - that is the same that's stamped on the frame, and that is what the CHP used as my official VIN.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Randy. I got a little "scared" there for a moment.

Doug, good luck next week and I will 2nd what pmfranke stated. Make sure all the #'s match on you paperwork or you will have a lot of trouble with the DMV.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In my case I could not get a vin without a SB100 number first. My car came from another state with a full registration and vin from the previous owner. California DMV and CHP would not let me budge forward until I had a SB number. Of course they let me pay the fees. I demanded a refund when I was told I could not get title or registration without SB. They sent it no problem. In Jan '04 I was in line before they opened, paid my fees again and by 11am I had my SB number. CHP then issued a new vin. BAR placed a sticker on the firewall and then went back to the DMV and they handed me plates.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a vin plate with right number of spaces (didgets)and when the chp left out a 0 the dmv sent me back to the Chp to get a new vin plate.Chp looked again added a 0 and sent me back to the dmv .Then the Dmv said i needed a form with three copies one pink. back to the Chp.On and on.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think terry's vin plate has the right number of spaces.11 spaces or 17 if you don't have 11 or 17 they will put a new vin plate on. I think that is right.count how many spaces you daily driver has.To check.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmfranke
I think terry's vin plate has the right number of spaces.11 spaces or 17 if you don't have 11 or 17 they will put a new vin plate on. I think that is right.count how many spaces you daily driver has.To check.
That is the way I think it is supposed to be (at least that's how I was taught when I was in law enforcement) but it sounds like some are getting away with CSXxxxx or SPFxxxx. Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When my car was registered in Nevada it had a 17 digit vin. Now titled and registered in Calif it has a 8 digit vin. Go figure?

John
Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Help!!
I'm looking to purchase a completed Superformance with a crate motor. It was once registered in Ohio and possibly illegally register in CA (I'm trying to learn more about it's current status).

My question is, Is there any reason that is would not or could not be SB100 registered in CA? (of course, depending if I'm able to get one of the 500 SB100 numbers On Jan 2nd).

One other question, What is the current process for getting an SB100 number? Do you wait in the DMV line on Jan 2nd or is there some sort of lottery now?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Are you supposed to get a new SB100 number if you buy a car that has already been registered in Ca.? The reason that i am asking is that my Cobra was already registered in CA. When I put the Cobra in my name I was not asked for a smog cert. I do have a sticker from BAR that has my VIN and a decription of the motor that it was registered with (1969 Ford 302) and a few check boxes that states what "SMOG" item that is required for my Cobra. "PCV" is the only box checked. I got my personal plates and was not asked for any smog. Would this mean that my Cobra already has an SB100? How would one get a copy of the SB100 if my Cobra already has one? I want to be sure that I have no issues in the future when/if I decide to sell.

Terry
Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

After you find out the California status you should correct it. I would suggest you do a Club Cobra search for user - "Morgester" and/or SB100.

Morgester is the California AG who ended up with the California vin issues involving improperly registered replicas (I think he got the short straw).

His posts will give you a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to correct the problem and why.

Yes, you will need to be in line at DMV on Jan 2nd '08. A search on SB100 will cover the process. Don't be late at DMV and visit them early to ensure you/and they know the process.

Good luck!!!
Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB