28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

One of the things that the various SB100 checklists (such as the one elsewhere here in the forum) don't quite seem to cover is the time between first registration and then re-registration or completing registration under SB-100.

If I get my new baby sometime in the next few weeks, am I better off NOT registering it until I'm ready to go get in line on January 4? Will registering it without any smog compliance on the immediate horizon screw up the SB-100 process and registration? Or am I fine registering it, requesting whatever TOP or TOPs they'll give me to let it get inspected etc., and then returning to DMV on 01/04 to fix things up?

BTW, this vehicle will be an import with a title from another state. The SB-100 process seems to expect that vehicles are "first time rollers." As long as it comes with a clean, accurate (2006) title, does the former title help or hurt in the registration and SB-100 process? Or does it change it at all?

Last edited by Gunner; 09-28-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
One of the things that the various SB100 checklists (such as the one elsewhere here in the forum) don't quite seem to cover is the time between first registration and then re-registration or completing registration under SB-100.

If I get my new baby sometime in the next few weeks, am I better off NOT registering it until I'm ready to go get in line on January 4? Will registering it without any smog compliance on the immediate horizon screw up the SB-100 process and registration? Or am I fine registering it, requesting whatever TOP or TOPs they'll give me to let it get inspected etc., and then returning to DMV on 01/04 to fix things up?

BTW, this vehicle will be an import with a title from another state. The SB-100 process seems to expect that vehicles are "first time rollers." As long as it comes with a clean, accurate (2006) title, does the former title help or hurt in the registration and SB-100 process? Or does it change it at all?
Your best bet is to start the process with DMV and pay your fees. You don't want to show up on 1/4/10 and mess around with the DMV trying to pay your sales tax and fees. Getting your car in the system will have no impact on your ability to register it under SB100.

Prior title from another state (as long as it clean/correct for that state) won't create any problems under SB100.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sales tax? If he buys the car in another state and it is all ready registered there, WHAT California tax is applicable?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Regarding the sales tax issue, here is how it works in California: I can only imagine other States are somewhat similar.
Say you live in another state and came to California to specifically purchase a particular car or circumstances dictate that you purchase one while visiting friends or vacationing (??). To avoid being required to pay California tax even though you are a resident of another state you must take physical delivery of the vehicle and the seller must have signed documentation consumating the sale that was executed and notorized outside the State boundries and the vehicle cannot legally re-enter the State without License fees becoming due. California DMV would issue what is called a "One Way Trip Permit" (10 day temporary license tag) that the vehicle could be operated on while in route back home, placed on the car once outside State boundries. Then when you arrive home you go to your local DMV and pay for the necessary licensing & get plates and then (as some States require) go separately to the local tax or revenue office to pay the required Tax. If you bring a newly purchased vehicle into California from out of state The DMV collects the required tax at the time they issue plates & registration. I will not touch on the impact that the Smog issues or the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) play in the process.
Purchasing a California registered car that has been through the SB100 can save an imense amount of stress and work.

Try looking here: http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrasforsale-cobras.html

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-28-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Sales tax? If he buys the car in another state and it is all ready registered there, WHAT California tax is applicable?
Sales tax on vehicles is by residence - whatever sales tax you would pay if the dealer were located in your driveway. I knew that was true within California - to prevent people from buying from dealers outside city tax zones - but recently confirmed it's pretty much nationwide and the states all cooperate on reporting.

You have to own a vehicle for a considerable length of time (180 days to a year, depending on the state) to escape paying sales tax in a new state. The states are all wise to the dodges of you wink wink nudge nudge buying it in Alabama or another sales-tax free state and then trying to bring it home to California, New York, etc.

If I buy a vehicle in Jersey, I don't owe NJ anything. But my home state folks will have their palm out at registration time...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's getting a little clearer for me, at least. Shasta County taxes to register my ERA will be less than $400 in my case. I've owned the car for years.
Based on this web site:
https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

The hang up is indeed the REQUIRED inspection of any new resident car (new, old, don't matter). It's a virtual guarentee I will fail on a number of issues. Gross polluter and "kit" car being the killer issues. However, the taxes look pretty straight forward in my case. Simply transfering exisiting clean and 100% legal title from Hawaii to California.

However, I will NOT be a California resident any time in the near future. Perhaps as much as a couple of months. I won't be working or looking for work, won't be renting, leasing or buying and won't be going to school. Just basically do what I'm doing now, be a flake. So, I'll keep my Hawaii plates, drivers license, etc. for the time being. By January I should know and if it looks like long term I better get in line at the DMV on the 4th.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's getting a little clearer for me, at least. Shasta County taxes to register my ERA will be less than $400 in my case. I've owned the car for years.
Based on this web site:
https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

The hang up is indeed the REQUIRED inspection of any new resident car (new, old, don't matter). It's a virtual guarentee I will fail on a number of issues. Gross polluter and "kit" car being the killer issues. However, the taxes look pretty straight forward in my case. Simply transfering exisiting clean and 100% legal title from Hawaii to California.

However, I will NOT be a California resident any time in the near future. Perhaps as much as a couple of months. I won't be working or looking for work, won't be renting, leasing or buying and won't be going to school. Just basically do what I'm doing now, be a flake. So, I'll keep my Hawaii plates, drivers license, etc. for the time being. By January I should know and if it looks like long term I better get in line at the DMV on the 4th.
Ahh, but do you INTEND to live or be located here on a permanent basis? It looks like you have the law the already figured out.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Intent. That IS the question! Probably not, but I can't say for sure. I'm going to look at some properties in the area while I'm there visiting. Should I decide to stay I'll be in line come January!

I have a friend who spends several months a year on the mainland, with his Hawaii Cobra and Hawaii tags. The biggest issue with that is getting the annual Hawaii safety inspection sticker. You have to ship the car home once a year. Without that sticker you can't renew your registration.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-29-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Intent. That IS the question! Probably not, but I can't say for sure. I'm going to look at some properties in the area while I'm there visiting. Should I decide to stay I'll be in line come January!

I have a friend who spends several months a year on the mainland, with his Hawaii Cobra and Hawaii tags. The biggest issue with that is getting the annual Hawaii safety inspection sticker. You have to ship the car home once a year. Without that sticker you can't renew your registration.
You have to ship the car home once a year? That's onerous.

Eh, you'll stay. Get in line. It's so much fun.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Considering the expense in shipping the car there and back every year, it makes California taxes look downright attractive!

My biggest concern is I need to decide what to do well BEFORE Jan, or so it seems. That way I have my ducks in a row and am actually prepared to deal with DMV come January. I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact steps, but I'm starting to take notes on it all.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
My biggest concern is I need to decide what to do well BEFORE Jan, or so it seems. That way I have my ducks in a row and am actually prepared to deal with DMV come January. I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact steps, but I'm starting to take notes on it all.
You could always just rent a room in a flop house across the line in Nevada and register everything over there.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I suppose one could, or Oregon for that matter...

But it seem's California is really cracking and tracking such scofflaws. Best to be on the up and up me thinks, especially as it concerns a high profile car. Rumor has it, out of state Motor Homes are especially a favorite target, due to their high registration fee's. I have ALL READY been approached by "friends" about the possibilty of registering their vehicles in Oregon should I decide to relocate there, using my address. The answer is NO, go fish (that's what I plan to do)...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You could always just rent a room in a flop house across the line in Nevada and register everything over there.
I've always liked Incline Village and it's right on the CA/NV border.

As I'm sure you've read over and over and over again, the SB100 process is rather simple. The two negatives are time wasted, going to the DMV, CHP and BAR, and pulling your hair out dealing with the DMV. If you go to the "right" DMV, one that is SB100-experienced, then you've minimized a portion of the downside.

Personally, I think it's crazy to send your Cobra back to Hawaii once a year for inspection. I can see the longshoremen at both ports looking at your Cobra like the two parking lot attendants at the Chicago garage in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Personally, I think it's crazy to send your Cobra back to Hawaii once a year for inspection.
I agree. Just use a razor blade and scrape somebody else's sticker off when they're not looking.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...rumor has it there may be ways to secure an inspection without the car physically being there. Not that I would know anything about that, just saying...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

For those thinking of registering out of state, just beware if you have a California DL all your vehicles operated in the state must be registered in the state. I have to get one way passes on my stuff registered to my house in Arizona when I bring them to or from my house in California. This applies to trailers as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...rumor has it there may be ways to secure an inspection without the car physically being there. Not that I would know anything about that, just saying...

nod nod.

I can say this about CA. That ain't gonna happen here. .
Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
nod nod.

I can say this about CA. That ain't gonna happen here. .
We have to jump through some hoops, but at least we don't have to deal with annual inspections on our Cobra replicas in CA.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I agree. Just use a razor blade and scrape somebody else's sticker off when they're not looking.
That works great until you get stopped and have to show your registration.

Then your car ends up on a flatbed headed for an impound lot.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Hawaii inspections, at least, are a cake walk. No smog. Obviously bald tires might get you rejected, headlights, wipers, etc., INSURANCE proof (thats the big one). Other than that, the guy walks out, kicks the tires, you pay your $15 and see ya next year.

So some guy DREW a fake inspection sticker, not a copy mind you, an "art" rendering. He only got a small fine for not having a sticker. Now you steal one or copy one and your in BIG trouble and facing jail time!

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-29-2009 at 12:52 PM..