LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The law is a seamless web with but a thousand shades of gray.
You can "monkey around" with the mechanicals, but the dealer's paperwork will state "5,500 miles."

FWIW, while the CHP doesn't check the mileage at the VIN assignment appointment, but the BAR ref does record the mileage when they sniff your sidepipes (OH MY G-D, how many hydrocarbons?).
Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Gunner, there are A LOT of good threads on the Forum.
Now there's an understatement!

I do try to use the search feature but one problem is that there are SO many threads that it can take time to page through each search hit to see if it really has anything to do with the question. The one-search-per-minute limit is a hurdle, too.

Otherwise, I am good at searching. Among other things, I run three forums of my own.

I really appreciate the time people take to point out relevant threads. That kind of AI doesn't fit in most search engines.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

I have everything on tap and in order (barring some questions about procedure and timing) - the only remaining question of significance is this 7500 mile thing. As best as I can determine, it's neither here nor there with respect to a specially constructed vehicle. If it is, I have no good fix at all since yes, all of the title and sales paperwork indicates around 5,600 miles and that's what the state looks at - added miles after sale are specifically verboten.

Let me reverse the question: does anyone know of anyone who has FAILED to register a Cobra bought from another state, and why did they fail?

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I do try to use the search feature but one problem is that there are SO many threads that it can take time to page through each search hit to see if it really has anything to do with the question. The one-search-per-minute limit is a hurdle, too.
I tend to you use Google, with the advanced search feature and limiting it to the clubcobra.com domain.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Or, maybe find a way to qualify under one of these other exceptions!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

clip:
__________________________________________________ ___________
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

•Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
•Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
•Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
•Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427
Not Ranked     
Default Ca Registrations

Don't attempt to register anything from out of state that has less than 7500 miles. I bought a Harley on Ebay with 1500 miles and the CA DMV person said to me after putting my serial numbers in her computer "You can't register this motorcyle in CA." After explaining that a vehicle MUST have 7500 miles on it to register it in CA I suggested that I would register it in Arizona with my daughter and she could sell it to me when it had 7500 miles on it. The DMV person said this motorcyle can NEVER be registered in CA now that it is in our system. I must take it out of the state of CA. Two months later I sold it on Ebay for a small loss to a guy in Florida that had no problem registering in. My 2 cents
Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the DMV clerk was wrong saying your harley could NEVER be registered in California. your idea of selling it to your daughter would have worked provided she titled it in Arizona correctly, and really DID drive it so the odometer was over 7,500 miles. once that happened, and the ownership tranfer documents from Arizona were filled out to show the new odometer reading, the Harley would have qualified for a legitimate CA registration.

as far as the exemption that states the vehicle was "purchased to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state", if you claim that exception at the DMV, they expect you to provide the VIN of the vehicle that was inoperable beyond reasonable repair. you should also be prepared to show repair estimates that support the assertion that your vehicle was too expensive to fix, therefore a new vehicle needed to be purchased. as with other assertions made to the DMV, any of your exemptions are attested to on the DMV forms under penalty of perjury, so any mistatement of fact would be treated seriously by a court if your registration was ever legally contested.

the problem with bringing a kit car with less than 7,500 miles into California adds a new twist to things. if you claimed one of the four exemptions shown in decooney's post, you would still have to deal with annual or biannual smog tests of the vehicle unless you obtained an SB-100 exemption which are only handed out on January 2nd of each calendar year.

i studied the 7,500 mile/49 state clause very closely several years ago after having my own "you've got to be sh*tting me" DMV registration moment.

Last edited by tmctguer; 10-25-2009 at 10:26 AM..