28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I always remember a line from he old X-files TV show. It's one of the guiding principles of my life.

No, it's not the "Trust no one" line, but the "Nothing disappears without a trace."
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The sales receipt from the dealer will in all likelihood state 5,500 miles. What now?
Uhh, suppose he drove it from the home state all the way to CA. Seems like the odometer would read, what, about 8,000?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhh, suppose he drove it from the home state all the way to CA. Seems like the odometer would read, what, about 8,000?
From the CA DMV website: "If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law."
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
From the CA DMV website: "If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law."
He didn't; his wife did the driving. He was merely a passenger.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By definition, according to the CA DMV, ALL cars with less than 7,500 miles are considered new, regardless if its been registered before.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't even like to visit California. I avoid it whenever I can; kind of like Newark.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't even like to visit California. I avoid it whenever I can; kind of like Newark.
Yes, you've hit upon it. The difficulties in registering a Cobra is listed as one of the top reasons people don't want to move to or visit California.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, you've hit upon it. The difficulties in registering a Cobra is listed as one of the top reasons people don't want to move to or visit California.
It seems though if you just jump through their hoops it all works out. Unlike a couple of other states that Cashburn and I were discussing a couple of weeks back. It was one of the New England states, and I can't remember now, but it was absolutely ridiculous what you had to do there. It made California look like a cake walk.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It seems though if you just jump through their hoops it all works out. Unlike a couple of other states that Cashburn and I were discussing a couple of weeks back. It was one of the New England states, and I can't remember now, but it was absolutely ridiculous what you had to do there. It made California look like a cake walk.
The SB 100 process, while somewhat time consuming, although not too bad at all, isn't all that difficult. I know "xlr8or" will be doing it again with his FFR Coupe and I may do it again someday, assuming it's still available. Tony Ripepi has done it at least once, maybe twice with his GT40 and CSX, and will be doing it again with his next build. Same thing with Howard Jones and a bunch of other guys around here.

Now the registering of a out-of-state vehicle with less than 7,500 miles presents some issues.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

I'll just work it through, honest all the way. I may regret not knowing some seekret trik at some point, but when dealing with the IRS, the mob and DMV it's best to be straight about it.

There must be many SCVs that are sold with minimal mileage. I can't believe that the 7500 mark is a barrier for this situation, not if SB-100 is the goal. I may (painfully) find out differently.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So: anyone have any recommendations as to which Sacramento-area office is best to deal with on this? Roseville? Carmichael?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A quick search and the Folsom office looks good, but don't go to Roseville:

Already registered but want an SB100
Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good thread, including a firm statement about prior registration being okay. Thanks. I'll see if Folsom is a better bet than Carmichael.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Bummer!

I just contacted a source internal at DMV just for grins. As verified with the Dept. Supervisor, as many of you already noted - 5 years ago they did stop allowing the 0000 year model classification which allowed a SPCNS + passing smog cert to get you through registration. The reply above is correct, you can no longer take this route. Bummer!

This is another step in the wrong direction for many car builders becasue now we have folks taking up SPCNS sequence numbers (unnecessarily) with some cars that can actually pass smog based on year engine/specs.

Since I had them on the phone at Headquarters, I made darn sure to point it out some of the language on their website still does NOT accurately reflect internal code/rule books with regard to SPCNS and and smog certifiction by year/make of engine, etc. We went round and round on it and the deciding factor was they had to go to a different source of (different internal book) information on the specific rules/guidelines now in effect by DMV. Hopefully the SB1578 process still works too.

Get a copy of that original MSO, receipts, anything you can!

Let us know how it goes, Gunner.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A quick search and the Folsom office looks good, but don't go to Roseville:

Already registered but want an SB100

Gunner,
If that does not work, there is another location. I went through Folsom and a few friends through Roseville too with some difficult situations and all got through it. Try Folsom first, and if Folsom fails for you, send me a PM. The former Supv. many of us use to work with more regularly transferred to another location not too far away. DC
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Good thread, including a firm statement about prior registration being okay. Thanks. I'll see if Folsom is a better bet than Carmichael.
Gunner, there are A LOT of good threads on the Forum. Use different search words too.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Since you already have the car in your posession, why not just pack a lunch and head to your local DMV and find out what you're supposed to do in order to get it registered as an SPCNS with a TOP until you can get the SB100 exemption..

Leave the car at home in case they want to see how many miles are on the clock. Tell them you drove it cross country in case the title has less than the required number of miles. You can "fix" that problem later if it crops up.

Then do what they say to do. If the mileage becomes a problem, you can always run the miles up or replace the speedo with one from another cobra that has more miles than yours. They're not going to drive it, so it doesn't have to be hooked up. There is a solution to every problem.

If you run into a major hurdle, take all your paperwork with you, then go home and address it and then don't return to the same DMV once it is remedied. Go to another one and start all over.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the way Jim thinks. Friggin' brilliant, he is.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I like the way Jim thinks. Friggin' brilliant, he is.
All "criminals" think alike and chummy up together.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
All "criminals" think alike and chummy up together.
The law is a seamless web with but a thousand shades of gray.