14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Run N Gun-2010 Lets be Honest Who's Coming

Here is the bottom line regarding this years Run N Gun.

I have to have 36 paid entries before July 31, 2010 and so far we are considerably short. If you are planning to attend this years Run N Gun I need to know your intentions and the best way to do that is by sending in your registration. George Anderson (owner of MPH Track in Hastings) has been extremely good to us but he has a business to run and I want to be as fair to him as he has been to us.

Let us know if you are coming and if you are not going to make it this year what suggestions do you have. Is it the venue, the location, the cost, the economy or is it the organizers. We are all big boys here and we can take what ever criticisim you may have. Please chime in or if you would rather keep your name off this thread send me a PM or email to tulsacobra@valornet.com

Thanks,

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Send your registration in!

So if you usually attend .. and if you usually like to pay at the last minute .. this is the year to participate in early registration. Otherwise, there may be no event at all

Clois says all the early money will be refunded in the case of a cancellation, so please step up! Clois, maybe a direct email to all recent prior participants in addition to posting here. I'm not sure all of them keep up with the forum.

Fingers crossed,
Sam
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Smile

Clois,
Just a suggestion you might think about. I would
allow those that just want to participate in the roadrace event to pay for that one event. If the events are divided so they can pick the ones they want to compete in then they can just pay for the event or events they wish to do. I would make it
$175 for each Roadrace day and $150 for the Autocross and Banquet day. If they choose all the events then they get a break on the price by registering early.
I know there are several guys who loved the track events but were not that excited about Autocross and barrel racing.
Hasting is a new track and it appears to be a very safe track. I am looking forward to it.

Hersh
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear attendance is proving difficult. We suffer similar low headcounts here in the Northeast when trying to get things rolling... it's the nature of our climate and that everyone must pack so many events and activities into fewer months here.

I will be honest, when I read the event was moving to Nebraska from St. Louis (itself not he center of the "Cobra" world) I thought "there it goes..."

I've had the pleasure of spectating 2 RnGs, it's too great a haul for us to participate on a larger scale (unfortunately). The intent is great BUT it needs a couple things:

1.) Tag it on another event that is already big and proven so you have an instant following and a big attendance. RnG at WSCB or London Show??? etc.

2.) Locate it where the most Cobras already are. The biggest Cobra clubs that are ACTIVE (by this I mean they have the numbers and the guys participate) are:

Capital Area Cobra Club
Texas Cobra Club
Deep South Cobra Club

That's all I can offer from my outside and perhaps uninformed perspective.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input.

Shaddowing an existing event sounds great but it is harder than you think to find a track that is RNG friendly. We are not pulling the plug on this years Run N Gun. We are just finding that our participation is not what we anticipated by this time. St. Louis was the ideal place but Corporate owners of Gateway International Race Track in Dover, Delaware wanted a larger ROI. Tim and Dan were great people to work with and we will miss them.

We have had other offers for RNG but none as passionate as George Anderson at Hastings. Since George had been a part of RNG for many of the early years we wanted to see what we could do with his resource. This thread is basically asking for a commitment by those that have Run N Gun in their fall plans of things to do.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Clois

I haven't registered yet. But I plan on attending it is just a game time call. Right in the middle of Hurricane Season and I could be on the coast at that time.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Last edited by Gregg(What's his name)?; 06-21-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Is there another venue that would be better, probably for some. I personally like the idea of a traveling Run and Gun. The reality is that we will need to get some people registered so if you are coming to the show, get your money in. It would be a shame if this event doesn't happen this year. It is really the grandfather of replica events. As Clois said, what could we do to make it more attractive?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Smile

The one thing that I see missing at R&G lately are the variety of different cars. Chuck beck used to come all the time and he always brought a Lister and had a few 550 Porsche owners along. If I recall
correctly I believe a yellow 550 Spyder won the 1996 Phoenix R&G.The Canadians used to come too. There were the Lotus 7 type cars and several Lambos.
I think if they were notified of this event by posting on the various forums then they might come.
The more variety we get there the better for all.
My hat is off to Mongoose Motorsports, Backdraft Racing and RCR for their participation. There are other manufactures I didn't mention and I appreciate them being there too.

Hersh

I posted a thread here too..
http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=105184
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

I believe Cashburn is right . Must of us it is a good part of are vacation time and the cost is important . It would be better if there was more to do in the evening for the ladies to go along with it . Tieing it to another event or an area where there is entertainment would be a better idea. It is a long way to go for a drag strip and Hasting is a nice town but what else is there ? Like Chicago Air Show , Branson Mo., Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise , London Cobra Show, ect.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I think if ANYONE is truely interested in attending R@G they would show up even if it was being held in Bolivia or Peru or even Buttheadastan....just because its not in your backyard this year dont bash where it is being held....if you cant make it maybe someone who never attended before will have a chance because it has moved this year to a closer location to them....there are several manufacturers that are fairley close to Hastings and maybe they could get more involved and ask there customers if they plan on attending....B@B, Hurricane, Shell Valley,and Lonestar are all close and im sure theres a few i forgot about....the guys are working hard to make this happen....i hope for the hobbys sake it does....
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, I am overwhemed with the responses I have received from former Run n Gunners and those that have never been. PM's, Emails, and on the phone last night until about 9:00 PM. Some of you had some great suggestions that we can implement into the event. Two big manufacturers stepped up with guarantees that put us over the top. Keep an eye on this site over next few days and a lot of the questions will be answered.

It would be better if there was more to do in the evening for the ladies to go along with it . Tieing it to another event or an area where there is entertainment would be a better idea. It is a long way to go for a drag strip and Hasting is a nice town but what else is there ? .

Regarding the above, I have spent a good deal of time talking with George Anderson track owner and former Run N Gun Director and that question will be answered as well. Some of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting George Anderson will find that he is the consumate host and will ensure everyone leaves wanting to come back. Keep checking back later this week while we put some more polish on this 23rd year of Run N Gun.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Clois- did you still want to meet up with Rusty Bob, Bob Kallio (midstates owner) and myself, so we can have a cobra caravan to George's ?

Both Bob K. and I live in Lincoln Ne.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I'm coming PERIOD.

Clois Harlen I am coming to Hastings either way. Have a new trailer to carry the car in. I am going to try out MPH. Counting the days for the 2 day haul. !,430 miles solo. The guys from the south are coming 1,500+ miles. Looking forward to a new track and more fun. Rick L.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Next year have it in Virginia !!!

________
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick,

Don't send your money in until you see my "invitation to register" post after Thursday. We have some new news! We are looking at doing some al carte type pricing and maybe some other things that should spark some interest among those that have never came to Run N Gun. As was mentioned last night by one of the Manufacturers I spoke with "Run N Gun is the only event soley for Kit Cars (Replica's) that provides a safe environment to demonstrate your cars capability as well as your own". 23 years of Run N Gun is a legacy worth maintaining!

Geoge has some great ideas to make it enjoyable for everyone in the family. For those of you that have not met Rick Lake, Hershel Byrd, Gary Krouse, Aaron Quine, Bill Frimpter, Reg Dodd, Dave Williams, George Anderson as well as so many others that have made Run N Gun a part of their lives the past several years you are in store for a real treat. These guys are what Run N Gun is all about. They care as much about each individuals experience at Run N Gun as they do their own. Everyone of these guys are there to help each of us.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I'm extremely interested however hard to register until I finalize my new Cobra and get the engine ordered. June 22nd today and and should have my new roller in the next two weeks and engine/trans in 6 to 8 weeks so if that schedule holds I might be a participate. I always wanted to do Run n Gun over the years and never did.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Gary, this event is one that everyone should attend at least once. I have never been to any other track event where the track management understood our hobby as well as George Anderson does. It is fun hanging around the pits or the hotel after the days events and telling stories from the last 23 years. This is not a race as much as it is a chance to get to know your car in a safe, replica friendly environment.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Why no more 1/4 mile?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TOO Fast and unsafe unless you have an NHRA rollcage

PLDRIVE PL the RUN&GUN event has gone on for 23 years. I have been going since the early 90's. The problem is the cobras are too fast. The single hoop rollbar will not save someone on a high speed flip or roll over.
MPH is building a 1/4 mile track but will not be ready in the fall.

Years ago will had the 1/4 mile racing in the beginning of the event. What happened was too many cars broke and by day 3 we had 15-20 cars left. We started with 50-60 cars. Slicks in the rearends are breaking rearends. Only a couple of guys come with every major part in there trailers to repair the cars. I myself bring everything but a spare motor. I have spent over 10 years having better and stronger parts put into the car. One savings is street tires over slicks. Something has to give. the 335 pilots will before blowing up the rearend.

I like 1/4 mile but a 23 years safety record is alot more important than a 1/4 mile time and run. I you go to a local track in your area and get safety checked unless you have a certified rollcage, 12.50 is the fastest they allow. I ran an 11.9 at 115mph and was band from the track for a year and told not to come back for 1/4 racing. autocross and roadracing are ok.

I understand you disappointment for not having 1/4 mile racing. Sometimes I miss it too. To date will didn't have a car without power adder run in the 9.0's. There are about 10-20 cars that have been in the low 10's. This is fast for a short wheel based car and 600+ HP. This event is about more of what a owner driver has built and run. He wants to drive fast, have fun, and maybe win an award for his hard work in building the car. You also learn new things about suspension and handling of the car. Every year these car do get faster on the road courses from better setups of the car. This has been a fun event for all and that was the idea overall. Meeting people, learning new things, having a blast and wanting to return next years with improvements you did to the car over the winter. This is not a cheap hobby and most have families and other bills to pay first. I run on soda money and scrap for my car and trips. I am not alone.

I truly think you will have a good time doing autocross, roadracing around the track and barrel race. By the end of 3 days you will be ready to go home and happy with the fun you have had. The bonus is the car and driver in 1 piece.If you don't like it, I promise you will not have to come back in 2011. Rick L. Ps if coming there is a check sheet to look at. PLEASE get the correct helmet and a jacket (NOMEX) for the event.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I really want to make Run n Gun this year. George Anderson is a great guy and I want to run his track! Clois, Dean and all that are involved in putting on and running this event are fantastic and I appreciate their efforts to put on and run this event. Rick Lake is the best friend that you can have at this event. At my first Run n Gun I had to pull my engine 4 TIMES! Rick was there to help me, even helping most of the night.
I am finishing my new Speedster right now. I would run this car, not my Cobra. My Speedster which is Corvette based has been selected to be a featured car at this years Corvettes at Carlisle show in August. So, my car has to be done by then. This means that if I get to Run n Gun that I won't be building my car at the event, like I ususally do!
I will not miss not running the 1/4 mile. My car is set up for the Road Course not Drag racing. Drag Racing is very hard on the vehicle and after spending so much time and money building it I don't want to tear it up!
Most of our cars are not race cars. It is important that everyone drive within their ability and to the fitment of the car. I drive much slower than my car is capable of going because I don't want to wreck it and I don't want to get hurt. This event is for Fun, for meeting old friends and making new ones. I have a major conflict with the dates of the event with the major trade show of the year with my business. But, I am trying to work things out so that I can go. I encourage everyone to sign up! You'll be glad that you did! John