LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I like your changes, fiberglass work is wonderful and looks cleaner. And this is coming from a autobody guy. What's up next ?
Thank you very much.

I started this build with the intention of it being a one off. I've had some serious health issues and I'm pretty much retired. These type of my cars is my passion and therapy.

I'm phasing out of running my Big Belly children's coin bank business and passing it on to younger family. I've had 4 people ask me if they can get a frame and a body. I have a very good frame jig made. I need to have molds made as I want a body with out all of the body filler and extra weight.

I'm having a professional fiberglass production company make the molds. My body is simple. It's just 2 pieces. They quoted me a good price and a good price to produce the body. I have a friend that owns a race car chassis shop. He's offered to build frames. I'm going to put together a kit for the 4 people that want one. It consists of the frame, body, aluminum panels, and steering shaft assembly. I'm going to do the 4 kits for $9,900 ea. If anyone else wants one I can supply it.

Last edited by john chesnut; 12-13-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Your mods to the rear deck are spot on. I remember seeing an article in one of the kit car magazines many years ago that showed Rich driving the then "sensational" new Cheetah roadster. He towered over the windshield and the top of the rear deck was about level with the small of his back. He truly looked like he was sitting on top of the car instead of in it.

The look reminded me of the pedal cars I had as a kid and was so off-putting that I never bothered to finish reading the article. I lost all interest in the Shell Valley product after that. Yours actually looks like it has a far superior layout and seating position.
Thanks Buzz. I remember the article and picture too. Rich was a giant of a man. He must have been at least 6'5" and 300lbs. He was an extremely nice and generous man.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Agree !

The touring company Americruise and Kit Car Magaizne went to Shell Valley for a tour. I drove up to see them and Rich told me to join the 12 car lineup for photo's. Then we all went to a local wine brewer that also gave a tour then on to a large lake and to the faif grounds where the car show was. I took Rich for a ride and scared him, because of my sprint car racing, I like drifting and high speed. lol....

He's always was and is, a forever great friend and car builder !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 12-13-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Thanks Buzz. I remember the article and picture too. Rich was a giant of a man. He must have been at least 6'5" and 300lbs. He was an extremely nice and generous man.
Yes John. I never met Rich, but I have corresponded with people who did and it is very apparent to me that he was regarded as an extremely nice and likeable man. I didn't realize he was that big, so that would've compounded my impression of the pictures. I remember the roll bar looked like it was barely higher than his shoulders.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Thank you very much.

I started this build with the intention of it being a one off. I've had some serious health issues and I'm pretty much retired. These type of my cars is my passion and therapy.

I'm phasing out of running my Big Belly children's coin bank business and passing it on to younger family. I've had 4 people ask me if they can get a frame and a body. I have a very good frame jig made. I need to have molds made as I want a body with out all of the body filler and extra weight.

I'm having a professional fiberglass production company make the molds. My body is simple. It's just 2 pieces. They quoted me a good price and a good price to produce the body. I have a friend that owns a race car chassis shop. He's offered to build frames. I'm going to put together a kit for the 4 people that want one. It consists of the frame, body, aluminum panels, and steering shaft assembly. I'm going to do the 4 kits for $9,900 ea. If anyone else wants one I can supply it.
If I wanted a project,... Quality, price =DONE !
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've continued working a few hours a day on the body. the tub is finished to the point that it's ready for final body prep and final finish for pulling molds.

One thing that I didn't like too much on the original Cheetah was the wide radiator opening. I've molded in dividers in my opening. The center opening is the width of the radiator and duct to it. The out side openings are for brake ducts. There will be a small flexible chin spoiler as well.

The picture of the finished car shows what the original style. This car is a Shell Valley. You can clearly see how much faster and lower the bonnet slopes down towards the front.

The last picture shows the rear bulk head for the bonnet. I made it so that the sides are slightly tapered so that it's self centering when lowered. I made the horizontal part of the bulkhead 5/16 inch short of resting on the frame. This allows final height adjustment.

Last edited by john chesnut; 12-17-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It will be a much more refined, car when finished. Good job.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wasn't happy with the headlights that I was going to use and the buckets that I molded into the hood. I wanted a smaller light that blended in better with the fender. Mr Bruce made the body skins that I started with for this build. He thought that Harley Davidson Vrod headlights might work. I ordered a pair and have changed the hood to accept them.

The Vrod lights are self contained. They mount with 2 side posts. I will bond brackets to the back of the fender. The headlights bolt in and can be adjusted side to side and up and down. I purchased lights with multiple, very bright lights. The same buckets with more traditional looking lenses are available too.

The lights are DOT legal and reasonably priced. I have them mounted so that it's 24 inches to the center of the lens. This is the legal height in NY.

I am done with the body mods. The body is mounted on my frame. I bolted industrial casters to the frame so that it's easily rolled. Next week it goes to NH for final body work. Then molds!

I realize the hood looks a little weird where it blends with the bulge in the picture. It's because of the sanding and a dusting of spray can blue paint that I hit the center of the hood with for getting the picture of the new headlight buckets.

I really like the looks of the hood on my car. When compared to the original Cheetah I think that it looks more aggressive. My Bruce created wide front fenders to cover really wide front tires on C4 Corvette suspension. I think he did a great job on the transition from the sloping hood into the fenders. I flared the fenders a little more and rounded them out slightly.

It's been severely cold where I live in the Adirondack MTNS of NY. I didn't go to the shop for almost 2 weeks. Tomorrow it's going to be 49. A great day to open the shop and clean it top to bottom. It's taken a year of part time work to get the body shape that I was after. I hope that I never do body work again!!!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

John,
I think those are the same lights I picked for my Cheetah build. I liked them because they had turn signals and parking lights built in.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-11-2018, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

John......can you tell me about the windshield.....with no support on top ???
Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Morris, The picture of the car with the windshield with out support on top is a Shell Valley Cheetah. (Their version of a Cheetah) I was using the picture to point out some differences between their car and mine. I don't know what windshield they use.

For my car I'm using a MGB windshield and frame. I like the look, the frames are available for reasonable money and new glass is available for under $100.

Here's a picture of a mock up that I did to see how my work was coming along. My son in the car is 6'2". The seat can be lowered by 2 more inches.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

John

I have seen a windshield like the one without the frame on top cave in at high speed on the track.......
Just wanted to make sure you’re going down the right road.....good deal....
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The body is going to my friends body shop this Friday for final finishing. I had a little time today so I used some 1/4 inch foam board and duct tape to do a see how a top might look. This is very rough but I can see how one can be made and in my opinion look good. When I sculpt it it will have a more rounded look.

I'm going to AZ and CA until March 10. The body should be ready for molds to be pulled from it when I return.

Mbechmann likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

John,

Have a nice trip. Looking forward to seeing where things are at when you return.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

top looks good, I'd vote for the bigger window option- kinda like the DAX cobra hard top that has a much bigger window than most cobra hard tops, with a more rounded rear portion. The body is all curves, round or oval at the rear of the window would follow body lines better IMHO.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

heres the thread on this site with some pictures
Best looking lemans top I've seen: who's is this?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=xlr8tr;1437133]heres the thread on this site with some pictures
Best looking lemans top I've seen: who's is this?[/QUOTE

Thank you for the suggestion and link! I agree its a great looking top. When I do my top for real I want to have a similar look.

Thank you 1795. I can't wait to go back to my old stomping grounds and be in warm weather.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's a picture from the passenger side with my 6'2" tall son. I think that the cockpit and head room is going to be fine.

I think I need 2 cars. A roadster and the Coupe. Heating, AC, and a killer stereo in the coupe would be nice.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I delivered the body to my friends home shop yesterday. He sent me a few pictures of progress this morning. He's moving faster than I would be able to!

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-27-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looking good!