10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     
Default JAG-IRS, I need a help with ID and adjustment.

I can't find out how to identify the year and raito.
Markings are:

bolt-tag = 2-88,

10 bolt cover,

C3
S,

A84,

6098. With that I also haven't been able to find out how to align it. Right now my tires set out at the bottom and in at the top. Any help would be great, thanks.

JET

Last edited by 67JET; 09-15-2007 at 08:03 PM..
Old 09-15-2007, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Don't have my library handy for your first question.
Camber is adjusted by adding or removing shims between the inner axle flange and the rotor.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick
I thought that i could do it that way. Now if i were to change the ride hight about 1" with adjustable coilovers then i would have to change the shims to get the camber right again, right?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

No! The camber stays almost constant troughout the suspension range of travel.If you can't get enough camber from the sideshaft shims you can also shim the brackets on the diff,which is where you can get a little toe in as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: southern roadcraft (UK) 350 edelbrock performer rpm
Send a message via Skype™ to david dickinson
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67JET
I can't find out how to identify the year and raito.
Markings are:

bolt-tag = 2-88,

10 bolt cover,

C3
S,

A84,

6098. With that I also haven't been able to find out how to align it. Right now my tires set out at the top. Any help would be great, thanks.

JET
hi there you have a 2.88-1 ratio which is the highest ratio jag do on that axle type. if you have a tag with PL on it ,then you have a powerlock diff (limited slip) otherwise it is astandard open diff.adjustment is as already stated , by shimming,you will get the best handling by setting the toe_in as neutrel ie 0,this avoids getting oversteer ,not a good idea with a cobra as they want to oversteer already.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks David,
I thought the A84 might mean that the year was 1984. By the markings do you know what it came out of? Hey while we are talking, do you think that i need some type of adjustable tie bar from the lower arm back to the frame for strenght under acceleration. Also i do not have a anti-sway bar. Do i need one or does that depend on what type of driving i do.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jet, I know a lot of people want "0" toe on the rear but with the short wheelbase car 1-1.5 degrees of toe in on both front and rear axles will help your Cobra handle like a normal car, not oversteering all over the place.if you check my gallery I have tie rods and rear sway bar running to the rear of the car and they work great,virtually eliminating axle hop .I run a 2,88 LSD rear. There are two types, Salisbury and Dana.The Salisbury has a round input flange and the Dana a rectangular flange.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks CHANMADD
Is one better than the other(salisbury/dana)? The flat bar running between the outer bolt and the shock lower mount is for extra strenght? I just took my coilovers apart this morning and there was no markings to tell me the spring rate(200lbs or 300lbs).I want to go to an adjustable coilover but they are so expensive that i want to do it right the first time. My wife will not give me a second chance. What pound springs are the norm and what lenght travel is normal.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jet,

If you can wait a few days till I'm back in town, I can get some info off my car for you. It has the adjustable tie rods running from the lower control arms to a frame set-up, which mounts just under the trunk latch. It also has adjustable coilovers, so I can get the info you want.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks nevermind65
Any and all info wil be great.
Pictures?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

If they have two tags one would read BPL (British Power Lock) the other is ratio as previously said. If it is a Jag rear it is likely Salisbury which use bigger crown wheel bolts I think. The Dana gear sets will fit but you have to open the bolt holes up to match it to the carrier. That also gives a much wider range of ratios to choose from. I have some good tech articles on the Jag rears send me a PM or something with your e-mail and I'll send you a bunch of info on them.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey mickmate your PM is full.
My email is: keith.williams@wgint.com
Thanks for any info and pictures you can send.

JET
Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Jaguar IRS

Steering response will be improved with toe-out.
Straight line stability will be improved with toe-in.

Sometimes toe-in or toe-out is used for another effect; Tire-temperature.
For racing-tires it's very important to reach a certain temperature in order to deliver maximum performance/gripp.
If the tires stay too cool than toe can be used for the "scrubbing" efect,
The scrubbing also has another positive effect; It will scrub the tires clean providing extra gripp for braking and cornering.

Street cars often are set up with toe-in; For good straight-line stability cornering is sacrefied.
Race cars are often set up with toe-out; Straight-line stability is sacrisfied for good cornering.

If the suspension is independent; Toe-in or -out can also be applied to the rear-wheels. The effect on the rear-wheels is generaly the same as on the front.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Oops, thanks for that. I've sent 2 rather large e-mails. Let me know if they don't come through I'll send less at a time. Gidday Ant, I've never had a problem with my tires running too cool!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi me again. The Salisbury diff has disc clutches and the Dana has a cone clutch.There is many differing opinions on the two.I prefer the Salisbury with the discs.There are two rear jag springs. One has 9 coils and the other 7 coils.Infront I used the one with 9 coils and in the rear one of each on each side with 3 way Gabriel adjustable gas shocks.If I remember I set the front shocks in the middle and at the rear one in the middle and one soft each side.
Front and rear toe are set at 1.5 Degree in and 1.5 degree negative camber all around.On the track I have always placed 1st or 2 nd out of a field of 40 cars so I guess that my setup works pretty well. Also in front I used a Granada sway bar (modified to fit) 1" diameter and a 1/2" diameter sway bar in rear.The car drives very smooth and has very little sway.I love it the way it is.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey thank you all for the info, keep it comming. The next question is about the front end. MG frontend has no shock. Is the thing on top that the rod goes through the dampner? Does anybody have power steering and/or power brakes? I like my car's steering, but turning and parking in tight places is tough. THANKS AGAIN!

JET
Old 09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jet, if you go in my gallery, I have posted pictures of the rear toe links as they are set-up in my Butler.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No ps or pb. I'm looking at adapting power steering, but I'm not sure if I want to mess with the pump at this point in time.

As for the front shock, either somebody modified my front end, or it was built so late, they changed the design. My car has Koni 5 way adjustable shocks. No damper set-up. From what I've read, I'm pretty lucky.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: