Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Trying to swing purchase CSX4000/6000

Hi Guys-
If I am ever going to do it, now is the time. I have just started the process of looking to buy after lurking on several sites for years and I have a few questions. I don't have the time/skills to build one so I will have to buy a finished one. I hope to swing the Shelby motor as well. I thought all of the rollers were made in the same SA factory as SPF, but I notice several references to 'HST' bodies as being better. Please comment. Also the economy seems to have lowered the prices for the used market, but the new market seems to be quite inflexable. Or am I wrong. How much more is the CSX vs. SPF with the same equiptment. I know the intangibles of owning a Shelby, but I am trying to see how much that will cost me. Many thanks.....GR
Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Tech is ONE supplier for fiberglass cars to Shelby, they are built to Shelby specs. Hi Tech owns a subsidary, SPF, they build their own replica Cobra version to their own specs. SPF bought a PAID ENDORSEMENT from Shelby for their product. They could have got Tiger Wood to endorse their product, or maybe Jay Leno. Lot's of people will say they really really like your product and let you use their name to market that product,,, if you pay them enough. There is no comparison between the two cars, they are completely different.

HST in Mexico is yet another supplier to Shelby, there have been several different suppliers over the years. You contract with someone to make your fiberglass cars, you tell them, this is how I want it made, you pay them for the product and put your name on it. BAM, you got yourself a Shelby, or whatever other name you choose to use. HST does a LOT of glass work for a LOT of different people. They will build whatever you want, for a price, to whatever specs you want, for more or less money. It's the way business is done.

When buying a "brand name" you trust that the person carrying the "name" is better than a lesser known name company. Like Roush specs his stuff better than Saleen (maybe, maybe not). OR Shelby specs his stuff better than Kirkham, maybe, maybe not. It's all about trusting the "name" on the product, not where the product originates from. All though it could be argued some points of "origination" are superior to other points when both use the same specs! Some folks just naturally do a better job than others. HST, Hi Tech, Vegas, Kirkham, McCluskey? Who's the best original provider for a CSX if you want to get picky about it.

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-14-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth, I have heard that some dealers will only order the HST built cars. I know that Steven Becker of PlanetCobra is one of them and I believe that George Anderson at Gessford also only orders HST built cars.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is a direct quote by Mr. Becker from another thread yesterday:

"Effective January 1, 2010 Shelby American Inc has raised the price of their aluminum CSX cars by 10%.

That means a regular aluminum component roller is now $ 124,900.00 and a built in England (hand rolled) roller is now $ 165,000.00

Fiberglass roller cars are still $ 49,995.00 FOB Las Vegas without any options, etc.

My dealership only orders HST built fiberglass cars so I never have to get stuck in the middle of the Superformance quagmire - and HST only builds cars for Carroll -

Now, who wants to order one??!

SGB"
Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

There are some nice used cars out there for sale, i think i would look into a used one..
may save a few bucks so you wont have to "swing" to hard to get one...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
There are some nice used cars out there for sale, i think i would look into a used one..
may save a few bucks so you wont have to "swing" to hard to get one...
Thanks guys for all the information so far. I have been looking at cobra country. Any other suggestions? Thanks again....GR
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Hi Tech owns a subsidary, SPF...
No longer true, Ernie. HiTech sold that brand to Lance Stander (owner of Hillbank Motors and one of the largest SPF dealers at that time). HiTech continues to be the exclusive manufacturer of the SPF brand. SPF sells two Cobra replicas, and as you stated they do have their subtle differences (subtle to the regular Joe but considerable to a true purist). I believe (someone check me here) HiTech builds both bodies for Superformance distributors. You should be able to purchase a fiberglass CSX roller through any SPF dealer...I have seen them at Hillbank.

I read that same comment from Mr. Becker and it alludes that he bypasses the whole Shelby licensing deal by purchasing factory direct from HST?

What a mess to pick through.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This company seems to always have a lot of inventory of SPF rollers. Marked at different prices, but I know they're willing to hear reasonable offers:

http://www.dmautosales.com/inventory...e=bymm&Submit=
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A lot of oddball color/stripe combos there, and I think they've cornered the market on Lamborghini Orange.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know what state you live in, but as you have probably read on the site, the big problem is registration. If you buy a nice used one in your state all the hard work is done. Just reregister and enjoy.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
This is a direct quote by Mr. Becker from another thread yesterday:

My dealership only orders HST built fiberglass cars so I never have to get stuck in the middle of the Superformance quagmire -
SGB"[/i][/b]
Just curious... What is the Superformance quagmire???

Jack
Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
subtle differences
Boy theres a piece of meat to chew on. To the "newbie eye" heck virtually ALL replicas look the same. From FFR to Kirkham, but of course the difference between a Kirkham and an FFR are anything but subtle when you look even a little bit closer. Vastly different when you look with a trained eye (night and day).

Which then begs the question: How subtle IS the difference between an SPF and a Hi Tech built Shelby?

Quote:
What is the Superformance quagmire???
Well now THAT question is a piece of meat the size of a freakin' dinosaur. Got an hour, or three?

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-14-2010 at 04:10 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Well now THAT question is a piece of meat the size of a freakin' dinosaur. Got an hour, or three?
Yeah. I have no idea what this "quagmire" is about. Do tell.

Jack
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am VERY prejudice against SPF so I don't think I could address the question without substantial emotion and risk of stepping (stomping might be more accurate) on some toes around here. I best stay out of this one...

I am not alone in my opinions, some folks feel as strongly as I do about the quagmire.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cliff's Notes version: Superformance cut a deal with Shelby to pay royalties on certain cars sold in order to avoid possible future litigation and to have the only licensed replica on the market.

Not much of a quagmire, sounds like smart business in a crazy industry if you ask me.

Ernie, go have another drink.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Craftily worded there Red, avoided the whole ethics thing very cleanly. Well done.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
Yeah. I have no idea what this "quagmire" is about. Do tell.

Jack
Only Mr. Becker knows what his definition of the "quagmire" is. I can only guess that CSX cars built by Hi Tech might have bad mojo because they share the same ground as SPFs.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Craftily worded there Red, avoided the whole ethics thing very cleanly. Well done.
Thanks. But I couldn't use Shelby and ethics in the same sentence. That wouldn't be good form.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Thanks. But I couldn't use Shelby and ethics in the same sentence. That wouldn't be good form.
Look you guys are gonna get Evan up from his desk or bed. Commissioner Gordon is already ringing the Bat Phone. I already know what Evan will say. Everybody on Club Cobra has an axe to grind with CS and this is not a bash CS thread.

Of course, he would say it better, since he finished law school.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Only Mr. Becker knows what his definition of the "quagmire" is.
It's probably just the direction the wipers point....