Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber, good post. Enjoyed it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Excalibur, we just disagree about all of this. That is fine. Enjoy your car!!

Jack

Last edited by kayakjack; 01-14-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post

I read that same comment from Mr. Becker and it alludes that he bypasses the whole Shelby licensing deal by purchasing factory direct from HST?

What a mess to pick through.
No, they are CSX registered vehicles. He specifies when he orders from SA that it be a roller manufactured by HST.

My HST-built carbon fiber body is gorgeous.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Imagine, for a moment, that the ONLY options you had for a replica were Shelby or an SPF?

They would be priced more along the lines of a Ferrari and 90% of current owners would not exist. As it was back in the day, a small very exclusive group of owners. Hmmm, that would be interesting, I'd certainly have a PICTURE of a Cobra on my wall, the garage would be empty though...

Come to think of it, SPF wouldn't exist had Shelby retained the trade dress from the beginning. In fact, modern Shelbys would not likely exist either. We would be left with only the original 1,000 or so cars! Which would sell for considerably less than they are selling for now because the history would have largely been lost. A mere "foot note" in the big picture of the car world, a good chance Shelby would have never even made a "come back" at all?

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-14-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I've had 6 Cobra's over the last 15 years, 1 Component Craft, 4 have been SPFs and the last one a Kirkham. I got out for a few years and really missed it so during the holiday's was in the market again looking for finished rollers. I enjoy finishing the engine/trans etc. and looked at Shelby CSX fiberglass cars and SPF first thinking in this economy maybe there are some deals. I was surprised to see the CSX fiberglass cars are up near $ 58-60K when you add the options, like stripes, glove box and the things most Cobras have. I talked to several dealers and most don't even have any and the ones that do are not discounting much The $ 49K is a bit misleading !

Last edited by gsharapa; 04-13-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Ernie, I applaud your passion. It's misguided from time to time, and I disagree with you on many things. But I still applaud it, never the less.

Hate the game, not the playa!

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-14-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
I've had 6 Cobra's over the last 15 years, 1 Component Craft, 4 have been SPFs and the last one a Kirkham. I got out for a few years and really missed it so during the holiday's was in the market again looking for finished rollers. I enjoy finishing the engine/trans etc. and looked at Shelby CSX fiberglass cars and SPF first thinking in this economy maybe there are some deals. I was surprised to see the CSX fiberglass cars are up near $ 58-60K when you add the options, like stripes, glove box and the things most Cobras have. I talked to several dealers and most don't even have any and the ones that do are not discounting much The $ 49K is a bit misleading. Then I moved to SPF as I've had 4 in the past and the quality was outstanding and so were the dealers. SPF is now acting a lot like Shelby, where in the past stripes and alot of their current options were standard you pay extra now and the rollers are in $ 43-$45K range. The other thing that seems to be happening with SPF is they are adding a ton of new dealers on-going. I guess their plan is add more dealers and sell more cars but that doesn't work as all there good loyal dealers are going to suffer and be less profitable. Several have tried this approach in the past ie; GM, Ford and Chrylser......Did find a SPF dealer that was willing to sell a new roller for $37K plus options only because he just became a new dlr and has to order 4 cars at a time. Looked at a few other Cobras and finally landed on the new Hurricane that was recently announced. They also will do a finished roller and I love the new car, enhancements they made and timing/pricing. One other little tid bid I like is they are made in AMERICA!

If you are in the market for a new Cobra do yourself a favor and give Steve Sinard at Hurricane (in Iowa) a call.......
...and now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ernie, I applaud your passion. It's misguided from time to time, and I disagree with you on many things. But I still applaud it, never the less.

Hate the game, not the playa!

-Dean
I really don't care enough to take sides, but Ernie's diatribe, I mean thought-provoking essay, was not erroneous or mistaken or foolish. He sees it a different way than some or many. His opinion is his and not off target for those who feel the same way.

Harumph, harumph, harumph.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Rodney - Why don't you add the link to the thread.
Geez, Louise.

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...=102034&page=3
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR997S View Post
Hi Guys-
If I am ever going to do it, now is the time. I have just started the process of looking to buy after lurking on several sites for years and I have a few questions. I don't have the time/skills to build one so I will have to buy a finished one. I hope to swing the Shelby motor as well. I thought all of the rollers were made in the same SA factory as SPF, but I notice several references to 'HST' bodies as being better. Please comment. Also the economy seems to have lowered the prices for the used market, but the new market seems to be quite inflexable. Or am I wrong. How much more is the CSX vs. SPF with the same equiptment. I know the intangibles of owning a Shelby, but I am trying to see how much that will cost me. Many thanks.....GR
After reading all this I'd be amazed if anyone would ever buy one of these.

Buy your Cobra, whatever one you want, and drive it. I put 4000 miles on my CSX last summer, even with the engine running as crappy as it is.

Cobra Country has lots of good cars, but there are SPF and FFR cars that frequently show up on major Craigs List sites.

From experience I can tell you that you should "try on" the car. They are a little hard to get in and out of. I tried on a SPF and the steering wheel hit my lap even with the seat all the way back (and I'm not going to mount the seat to the floor to get rid of the rails.) The CSX is comfortable.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

twobjshelbys carbon fibre sweet

gsharapa good point new hurricane is another good option

GR997S www.cobraregistry.com/main.aspx saw a kirkham FIA for 68K , great company , nice price .

RodKnock as always, very enjoyable

SDR
________
LAUNCH BOX VAPORIZER

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...too much legs

Time for a reboot

This is the Shelby American Forum

This is the original post

Quote:
Hi Guys-
If I am ever going to do it, now is the time. I have just started the process of looking to buy after lurking on several sites for years and I have a few questions. I don't have the time/skills to build one so I will have to buy a finished one. I hope to swing the Shelby motor as well. I thought all of the rollers were made in the same SA factory as SPF, but I notice several references to 'HST' bodies as being better. Please comment. Also the economy seems to have lowered the prices for the used market, but the new market seems to be quite inflexable. Or am I wrong. How much more is the CSX vs. SPF with the same equiptment. I know the intangibles of owning a Shelby, but I am trying to see how much that will cost me. Many thanks.....GR
Please let the remaining posts on this thread address the OP's questions.
...and mostly just his questions.

thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

GR, Like you, I am looking for a Cobra. I pretty quickly settled on a SPF and am looking for a used one. I think the Cobra CSX list is about $15k more than a similar SPF as a new roller. The SPF is pushing my budget so I didn't think much about the CSX. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the CSX holds its value to the point it is worth it. I have no interest in a kit to build or a donor kit. I think there are several manufactures that make cars in the same class as the SPF, some better, some not. Since I'm so ignorant about all of this (but spending $50k? More money than brains!) I thought I would simplify it and lock onto the SPF. Now I'm getting so picky about what exactly I want, I may never find the perfect car. I'm in Vegas next month and will check into the CSX more.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now I'm getting so picky about what exactly I want
And that is exactly why buying a new one is worth considering. Oh sure, you can find a used one at a good price, but you will never find a used one "just the way you want it." There will always be some aspect of it that isn't quite right for you and it can eat you up after while.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
Now I'm getting so picky about what exactly I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
And that is exactly why buying a new one is worth considering. Oh sure, you can find a used one at a good price, but you will never find a used one "just the way you want it." There will always be some aspect of it that isn't quite right for you and it can eat you up after while.

I agree ... I spent probably a year trolling Cobra Country and Club Cobra looking for the right Cobra for me. It was especially difficult, because I was really looking for a 289 FIA car, which certainly narrows down the offerings in the 'pre owned' market.

To my mind, probably no car will be absolutely perfect, but take the time to figure what you want, then go for it. That is actually part of the fun. You might get lucky and actually find a used one that is 'perfect' or 'perfect enough' and then you get the car you want and save some money.

Otherwise, take a clean sheet of paper and make a list of what your dream Cobra would be and then talk to the builder/vendor of your choice to see what it would take in terms of time, effort and money to make the dream come true.

That's my .02
Old 01-15-2010, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default Study the body style

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR997S View Post
Hi Guys-

I have owned my SPF for over 10 years.It is a wonderful product. I do however, now prefer a more original body style as with the CSX, Kirkham and ERA and will be "looking" in the near future.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The dealers are not going to drop there price in my opinion on new rollers. They quite ordering from the factories when the economy tanked. The supply and demand equation. Factory aint making them, dealers arent ordering, low inventory.

I have owned 2 cobras and flipped a couple, including 1 brand spanking new one, and one as close to new as you could get without being new. The two "new" ones cost the most and without a doubt required the most rework and troubleshooting. To put numbers to it one had 21 bugs the other 17. Trust me I easily put in over 100 hours figuring the sheet out and the whole time risking scratching the car while I squirmed under the dash etc.

Unless you have money to burn and willing to kiss asss with your dealer so god for bid you dont piss them off since you gave them in excess of $50K to fix your car over a 3 month period and always wait for the "factory" to answer BUY USED!!!!!!

No title questions, it is either right or wrong.
The original owner sorted some if not most of the bugs
You touch, see, drive, smell before you drive - not wonder if damage will occure in transit and here "we have a great body shop"

The guy that bought the one with the salvage title may have the right idea, in the end though at best he will break even and probably loose money including his time unless he is going to do every piece of work himself and when he goes to sell who says he is a good engine builder etc.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A lot of oddball color/stripe combos there, and I think they've cornered the market on Lamborghini Orange.
Getting past all the ethics questions etc. This is one butt f****** ugly car!!

To quote the immortal Clint Eastwood; "Anybody who'd paint a car like that, a color like THAT aught to have his ass removed!"

Now back to the regularly scheduled banter...........

Steve
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

What a great thread! Does anyone know how much SPF prices went up after they signed the licensing agreement with Shelby? Seems like you could figure how much they paid for the license with that. I would really like to know how the list price has changed over the years on the SPF.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
What a great thread! Does anyone know how much SPF prices went up after they signed the licensing agreement with Shelby? Seems like you could figure how much they paid for the license with that. I would really like to know how the list price has changed over the years on the SPF.
My guess is that pricing didn't change that much, but volume may have gone up.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)