Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default CSX Dealer Cost?

I was wondering if anybody knows what the approximate dealer cost is for a CSX 4000 or 7000 series? Seems to me that now might be the time to purchase a roller, but finding it difficult to figure out where to begin the negotiations.

As always, appreciate member's input.

Bob
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The best deal on a new fiberglass CSX was a local member's purchase of a beautiful silver street roadster for about $41,000 last year. Just pure speculation, but with new rollers in the mid-to-high 50's, that's probably a good place to get the dealer's sales guy hanging up the phone on you.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

How about the exchange rate between poland and US $. I think all the aluminum bodies are still made there thanks to the kirkhams.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I had heard ( purely speculation) that Shelby came down hard on thsoe dealers selling them too low and I have not seen any under $50K and change for over a year. Not that I am in the market for another one but still troll flebay and dealer ads just to see what they are selling for. What varies a lot between dealwers is what they charge for the "options" for a csx roller.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Bob it depends on glass or alum. There r a few alum cars that can be bought at a very good deal.

Allan
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe its me but I refuse to call $120K for a Alum roller a good deal when you can be into a kirkham for $100K COMPLETE. They were a good deal in 2008 when I could of had one for $75K. I haven't seem one complete for under $140K and no rollers for under $120K
Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are around, just need to look. Would never spend $100k on a kmp but that us me.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan A View Post
Would never spend $100k on a kmp but that us me.
Wait...wait...wait...OK...it passed. Phew! I thought I almost had a seizure.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allan, You wouldnt spend $100K on the KMP but you would spend $140K for CSX - when the cars are the same? I thought I was crazy
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Thank You

Thanks to all for responses.

Some quick thoughts from this end.

Somebody, some place, has to be carrying the loans on dealer inventory. Given the number of unsold units in circulation (rollers & otherwise), it strikes me that at least some of these dealers must be approaching a tipping point between solvency/insolvency (this sounds worse than intended and I wish no harm to anyone, but business is business). The closer a dealer gets to this point, the worse he needs to clear inventory.

In regards to competition for the same dollars, looked at a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena today with less than 9,000 miles, accident free, that could be had for around $87,500 out the door (this market is also feeling the impact of current economic conditions). Saw a 2005 Spider, slightly more mileage, for about $10k more. Point I am trying to make is that while I would prefer a Cobra, dollar for dollar, it is a recreation (meaning not a CSX 2000 or 3000 chassis designation) and not so sure it is equal to a Ferrari 360 (another toy that I have desired for some time). Maybe comes down to a value decision...I really like Cobras but not at the same price point as a Ferrari (that is an original).

Reality though is that none of the above is really important given the plight of many in my state and I could just as easily do nothing. Net-net is that all of this plays against a dealer getting $55k+ for a replica (see definition above).

Apologies for rambling through this...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I thought this thread was going straight into another "how much is a real cobra worth".....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I thought this thread was going straight into another "how much is a real cobra worth".....
Nope...that topic is on the no-fly list for Q1 2010.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, in honor of pitchers and catchers reporting for Spring training, I'll let Allan's remark sail outside for Ball 1.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch View Post
Thanks to all for responses.

Some quick thoughts from this end.

Somebody, some place, has to be carrying the loans on dealer inventory. Given the number of unsold units in circulation (rollers & otherwise), it strikes me that at least some of these dealers must be approaching a tipping point between solvency/insolvency (this sounds worse than intended and I wish no harm to anyone, but business is business). The closer a dealer gets to this point, the worse he needs to clear inventory.

In regards to competition for the same dollars, looked at a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena today with less than 9,000 miles, accident free, that could be had for around $87,500 out the door (this market is also feeling the impact of current economic conditions). Saw a 2005 Spider, slightly more mileage, for about $10k more. Point I am trying to make is that while I would prefer a Cobra, dollar for dollar, it is a recreation (meaning not a CSX 2000 or 3000 chassis designation) and not so sure it is equal to a Ferrari 360 (another toy that I have desired for some time). Maybe comes down to a value decision...I really like Cobras but not at the same price point as a Ferrari (that is an original).

Reality though is that none of the above is really important given the plight of many in my state and I could just as easily do nothing. Net-net is that all of this plays against a dealer getting $55k+ for a replica (see definition above).

Apologies for rambling through this...
Interesting thoughts. Just remember: The more exotic the car, the more exotic the problems, the more exotic the expenses.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lets get this straight, I can buy a Alum CSX with 427 right this second for $90k. Would I buy this if I could yes, would I think of a KMP during this process why.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan A View Post
Lets get this straight, I can buy a Alum CSX with 427 right this second for $90k. Would I buy this if I could yes, would I think of a KMP during this process why.
1. We can always start another new thread on the topic of NEW CSX versus a NEW KMP instead of stepping all over the OP's thread.

2. You can always post a thread in one of the various forums here of this ONE aluminum CSX for sale at $90,000, so we can all take a look at it for ourselves. I vaguely remember one posted somewhere, maybe the SAAC Forum, for sale, but we would need to analyze it to see why it's relatively cheap for a USED CSX.

EDIT: It may have been on gasholes.

3. I had a nice peek at the underside of my KMP this past weekend. All that purty KMP billet aluminum and KMP engineering (e.g., movable footbox, etc.)...just a beautiful work of art under there.

4. Shelby buys the CSX bodies from KMP.

Allan, you like what you bought. I like what I bought.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is this the $90,000 CSX (old thread, but actually $95,000)?

http://www.gasholes.com/smf/index.php?topic=15410.0
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back to the original topic, I'm not sure you'll get any dealer of these cars to wiggle very much on pricing of a new unit. Since these cars are almost build to order, there won't be all of the excess inventory that you may imagine. Yes, there is inventory, but they still cannot sell below a certain point, and they always have to opportunity to wholesale to another dealer if they have to get out. Now, you may be able to deal on your installed options, or the installation of your powertrain. It would be nice if a dealer chimed in on this thread, but if your a "price" shopper on a 100K toy - you won't fine too much sympathy.

Also, T&E Legendary Classics in Ross, Ohio sells brand new CSX fiberglass cars with 427 big blocks, billboard tires, and more - complete - ready to drive home for about 90K.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The two best kept secrets are "Where Elephants go to die" and "What it cost to make a car". Good luck. In the trade we say "They're all made out of iron" and can all be replaced, just like the current crop of CSX cars. Find someone who is willing to negotiate who needs to turn their inventory.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII
Not Ranked     

I can tell you from first hand experience that the amount of dealer profit in a SPF cobra would shock you......it is dismal. You can make more profit selling 5mainstream cars at a $8,000 retail with a quicker turn over rate and less headaches & babysitting than you can selling one $45,000 Cobra. Between the registration issues, insurance costs, and hand holding that Cobra dealers have to deal with, maybe consumers should not try to beat them up on price too much. There are a lot of overheads involved with running a Cobra shop, and easier money can be made elswhere. Once I move my existing inventory it will be a long time before I bring in another Cobra.