MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
View Poll Results: What should have been done to CSX3006?
Yes, this car should be restored to RHD, as raced. 21 22.83%
No, this car should stay LHD and be restored to as-shipped condition. 45 48.91%
This car should have stayed as-is and not been body-off restored. 26 28.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

3006 had it's most significant race history with bondurant in europe, particularly brands hatch. i like to restore my cars to a specific livery as i believe the history can be as or more significant than the car itself. cant say i'm thrilled with the color scheme and RHD, but they ARE different and intersting - at least to me. it fits well within my collection, and will be a welcome participant for euro rallies. lb
Old 05-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...larry?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

y
Old 05-14-2004, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Now we are all intrigued, who is Larry?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the white with a black hood and right hand drive.
I'm getting tired of guardsman blue with white stripes. Besides, think how nice it would be to fry your left foot for a change.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by boxhead

Now we are all intrigued, who is Larry?
The one with the bushy hair.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

I though the cobra looked EXTREMELY good condition when they started restoring it. The only things I didn't like about it is: there wasn't enough actually aired on TV, on the last show, the (hope I dont spoil this for anyone) the project Nova and the Cobra lined up to race, and Peter didn't even make a attempt to race the Nova, and one last thing, now that the car is done, it probably wont be driven at all, a waste of time and money to me if you can't drive a car you have worked on for many many hours.

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 05-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it's going to be run in Europe it makes perfect sense to put it back to European specs.

Myself? I'd go with the USA specs (not to mention the MUCH better paint scheme).

But you got to do one or the other and do it all the way.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the car needed a real restoration. fuel cell, engine, tranny, R/E, shocks, ducting, etc. recently run 7k miles in southeast near the ocean. It had a fair amount of bondo, so we went to bare. i hate plastic. the goodnews was that almost all the exterior panel area was original, with plastic filling dents, etc. the aluminum was worked by hand back to 100% orig configuration. frame was in good shape. didnt destroy anyhting with LHD dash since it had already been done twice before. we dotn beleive it was ever in a bad wreck. all numbers are there. found the original racing seats, and tank. iron block high P/N and breathed on a bit. nice. never could find a Quality set of orig aluminum HR heads or magnesium manifold. i dont beleive they exist anymore. Sum - upgraded quality and strove for originality. cars get invited to races and rallies based on history and the history of these cars is what made them great - so I like to celebrate it. as regards for the price? find me another REAL comp cobra, a very early car, orig frame doors hood body panels orig seats and tank that competed at goodwood brands hatch and austria with bondurant driving. altho left hand shifting will be an adventure. Legendary Motorsports does good work, and what u didnt see were the hundreds of hours outside the show clips. and they have to finish in 9 months (season), with the world judging quality control. we hope to have the car on public roads by junei Do appreciate all your comments on the car.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

csx2300,

If my memory serves me correct, csx2300 is a coupe. And with an original comp car, with history, many people are envious. From watching the show, legendary seems like they do top notch work. Curious, if you don't mind telling, about how much does a top notch restoration cost?

Do you know for a fact that your car was delivered with aluminum hi-riser herads? You could get a new set of aluminum Hi-Risers from Dove, and the original aluminum dual plane single four Hi-Riser intakes are plentiful, although I would think you already know this.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-03-2004, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

csx2300,
Would love to see some pics of your collection. Got a website?
Old 06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi dave and quentin: ok, dave 1st of all, it is not my intention to cause envy, and i sincerely hope i have not generated any ill feelings of any kind. perhaps i should change my moniker. i am blessed to have the resources to collect some wonderful cars, and am thrilled to be able to share with other enthusiasts. i just like cobras and this is the best forum for cobra guys to discuss things. Certainly, i have learned a lot on this forum and hopefully i can return some of that. dave, ill let u figure out how much a restoration costs it's just $/hour x hours + parts + ripoff factor. let's just say it's always 2-3x initial estimate and 2-3x est time to complete. that said, legendary has done a terrific job on 3006, and also on my 69 L88 roadster last year on the show - both in terms of cost and quality. i remain in search of NOS/quality high rise aliminum heads and magnesium manifolds - i dont believe they exist anymore- pls someone prove me wrong. quentin, i would be more than happy to post some pictures, but honestly i keep getting a message that my pictures are all too big so i gave up. i do have a large library of historical and current pics to share if i ever figure it out. i Do appreciate all the comments on 3006, even those that think i screwed up the car- that's what opinions are all about. best regards.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Let me help with the pics...

attach them to e-mails to me...

ron@computerworks.net

I will edit and compress the images to optimum size for the Gallery... and then I'll upload them to your Gallery Album

Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 06-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I know where hi-riser stuff can be had, but not heads in aluminum for hi-riser.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Larry?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

csx2300 - if you get around to posting pictures, I would love to see some resto pictures of csx 2260 in the Radford racing colors. How much of the original frame and body were salvageable?

I love the unique restorations that you have performed on your cars. The Ford of France color scheme on csx2300 is absolutely beautiful. I am also a fan of the resto on 3006.

Mike

Last edited by Cobra Pack; 06-03-2004 at 06:43 PM..
Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

csx2300, there are no ill feelings. obviously everybody on this forum is crazy about cobra's, and everbody wishes they could have an original one. Too bad there were not more original cars made, about 100,000 more. I enjoy discussing topics with people who really know/understand about the original cars. many of us are not in a position to buy an "original" cobra at this time. For those who can, go for it.

Again, do you know if your car came with the aluminum hi-riser heads and mag intake from shelby? I believe the original aluminum heads were cast with the iron molds, meaning that they had thin decks, not like most aluminum heads today. I have a set of aluminum hi-riser heads that I'm working with a project now, not original, but made by Dove. High quality is dependant upon ones perspective in this case.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-03-2004, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i believe, but can not prove, that 3006 came with high rise mag manifold and aluminum heads. same holds true for most full comp cobras. thankyou for the DOVE suggestion, we use them also. with Rons very gracious offer to help, we'll get some fun photos posted.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I would have restored it to original. But this guy has way too much money in this car, original or not. You could put maybe 75k or so in a good "kit" and have a car that is just as good if not even better. Don't get me wrong, I would kill to have that car, but when you really think about it.........
Old 06-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Tim... that's one take on it...
...but, in this case, that's kinda like:

MONA LISA Vintage Framed Oil Paint by Number