SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default irs 8.8 cv grease

doing a rebuild on an irs because of a boot explosion, and there was grease everywhere. looked to be a whole can of moly grease like you would put on wheel bearings. i have to replace the boots and am wondering if there is a prefered grease for the cv joints that stays where it is supposed to.

also going to look into the irs pumpkin and possibly swap out the trac loc for a torsen, any recommendations here.

thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I just used regular Ford CV joint grease in mine.

And it doesn't matter what grease you use. If the boot fails you will have grease everywhere.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i removed the other one and it had a green colored thicker grease, probably more like the cv grease or ford cv grease should be.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The boot kit come with grease in a plastic package. Only use about 1/2 that.

They have a tendancy to twist at speed, and that can tear them. At the small end, put some axle grease betrween the boot and the axle. And install the clamp slightly loos. That prevents twisting.

The other issue is that the boot can tear due to cintrifugal force. It's just not strenog enough to handle all that weight at high speeds. Fortunatly, there's a pretty simple solution. Simply put a couple of cable ties around the boot.

I was having real trouble with boots tearing. I even managed to tear some heavy duty silicone boots. I got pretty good at installing new boots, as they only lasted a few track days. What a mess. After discovering these simple changes, I'v been using the same boots for the last two years or so.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the tips bob, i had thought about doing the zip tie thing and will certainly do it now. you just use the one zip tie?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Mark,

I went with the Torsen rear end based on researching others experience with them on the track. Right now I have very little experience with it but I am positive it is the best all around differential for street and track. DVs heavy Viper powered CR Cobra did over 1g on the skidpad with one, and ran 11s on the strip.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
thanks for the tips bob, i had thought about doing the zip tie thing and will certainly do it now. you just use the one zip tie?
After I took the picture, I put another one in 2 grooves up towards the big end. I don't know if you really need two, but it made me feel better. And, so far, they have not torn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
Mark,

I went with the Torsen rear end based on researching others experience with them on the track. Right now I have very little experience with it but I am positive it is the best all around differential for street and track. DVs heavy Viper powered CR Cobra did over 1g on the skidpad with one, and ran 11s on the strip.

I also use a torsion type diff. I started out with a standard Ford LSD. And for most situations that's just fine. But on the track you can feel the differance; it comes out of the corners a little stronger and with less push. On the street, it's better because the torque is more equally balanced. When I do a fun smoky burn out at the stop light, it tracks straight and true, no tail wagging.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

After doing a bit of research, Castrol or any other coy make moly extreme pressure grease for CV joints, Redline make CV2 grease which is red moly and synthetic with good feedback, which I will use.
I am going through the process of changing my inner plunge joints to Porsche 930 108mm joints as the previous ball and cage joint had the circlip in the wrong place so I thought I had better find a good grease for racing use, one positive all my chromemoly CV's have small boots on them now so less chance of coming off.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the info and tips guys, looks like zip ties, torsen, and good grease.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
After doing a bit of research, Castrol or any other coy make moly extreme pressure grease for CV joints, Redline make CV2 grease which is red moly and synthetic with good feedback, which I will use.
I am going through the process of changing my inner plunge joints to Porsche 930 108mm joints as the previous ball and cage joint had the circlip in the wrong place so I thought I had better find a good grease for racing use, one positive all my chromemoly CV's have small boots on them now so less chance of coming off.
ant, you doing this to a ford 8.8 irs?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

after ordering the t2 is there anything else needed, kit wise?

looks like the trac loc comes out and pull the bearings and press them on the t2 along with the ring gear, insert, preload and and tq. the caps on.

maybe a kit with shims or replace the bearings and probably replace the oil seals. see kits for trac loc rebuild but don't believe i need everything included there.

rent, buy, borrow, or make a case spreader?

Last edited by vector1; 02-08-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I would be careful with the zip ties. If you have to much of an angle, they will wear the boot and cause a failure.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
ant, you doing this to a ford 8.8 irs?
I want to do a bit of racing and I had 300m bars and chromemoly cv axles made up 2 years ago and when I came to fit them the circlip position on the inner cv was for a GTO not Ford, so the supplier kindly exchanged the inner cv for there latest Porsche 930 units.

The inners they supply are ball and cage, compared to the tripod ford joint which is still ok for most use, the Porsche unit is stronger again and if it packs up just unbolt the joint and fit a new one without changing the whole unit.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 02-09-2010 at 01:21 PM..