SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-08-2001, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Franklin Mint 427S/C replica
Not Ranked     
Default 351W block hardware

I finally have my block machined and ready to assemble. The block came with a little bag of hardware that needs to be installed. Since this is my first Ford assembly, I'll have to defer to the expertise on this site.

This is what I have.

1) Oil filter adapter. This one was easy.

2) Six expansion plugs, also easy.

3) Large plug at rear of cam. I figured this one out too.

4) Six pipe thread plugs. Three on each end of the block to plug the oil passages (I think). I noticed that some of them don't screw all the way in. Should I run a tap to clean it up a bit? The threads in the block aren't as deep as the plug is tall.

5) Single press in plug that I think goes at the top rear of the block just under the intake. Is this right?

6) There are several very small press in plugs and one tiny (very tiny) one. I have no idea what to do with these. Any ideas?

7) Hollow dowels that the machine shop inserted for to align the heads.

8) A set of four larger hollow dowls that I don't know what to do with. I could use some help withthis one too.

Any Ford engine builders out there that can tell me what to do with all of these parts?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-09-2001, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Pat it sounds like you and I are in the same stages in our 351W builds.I had the machine shop bore deck and align my block and install the cam bearings and all these little plugs that you are talking about.I went out to the garage and looked at my block and this is what I came up with:1, 3/4" press in plug top of block in the rear (under intake) 2, 1/2" press in plugs front of block near cam bearing, 1, threaded plug drivers side of block closer to the rear with 3 threads exposed. 1, threaded plug passenger side of block to the front 3 threads exposed.1, threaded plug front of block screwed in flush w/block.3, threaded plugs w/2-3 threads exposed rear of block.I hope this helps let me know if you need me to look at anything else, it also looks as if there is some sealer these plugs also.

Mike
Old 09-09-2001, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the assist Mike. I looked in the rebuild manual last night and it mensioned using three press in plugs at the front of the galleries and three screw in plugs at te rear. I then looked in the high performance build manual and they said to tap the front of the oil galleries. Mine look as if they've been tapped so I'll go that way. I guess that don't need to go in flush as long as they clear the timeing chain gears. I may call on you if I have more questions.

--Pat
Old 09-09-2001, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, can you look at the front oil gallery plug on your engine, the one behind the distributor? Is it a screw in plug or a press in cap? Mine has been tapped to use with NPT 1/2" plugs but this one won't go in more that a couple of turns. I think I might have distributor clearance issues.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-10-2001, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Pat, I looked at the front oil plug mine is threaded, it is screwed flush with the block.I looked down through the dist. opening and cannot see the plug (due to it screwing in all the way).Feel free to E-mail me at mriggs0000616@cs.com if neccesary I could screw the plug out and measure the length if this would help.

Mike
Old 09-10-2001, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building from scratch
Not Ranked     

Why don't you ask the person you paid for the machine work and parts what to do. They probably figured you knew what you were doing and just gave you the parts.
Alex
Cobracer#15
Old 09-10-2001, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I asked the machine shop what to do earlier today. They told me to use a soft plug instead of the screw in. I have some of these that were included in the hardware kit. I'll just add a bit of sealer and hammer it in with a 3/8" punch.

--Pat