SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem you described earlier with not being able to get a screwdriver all the way through a filter. I was able to drill a hole through the center of the filter a bit smaller than the shaft of the screwdriver and then could get the screwdriver through by tapping it with a hammer. Then I was able to grasp the screwdriver on both sides of the filter and it came loose quite easily then, even though the hole was at an angle due to space restrictions. A set of extra long drill bits have come in handy for lots of uses over the years.

Good luck with this.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SUCCESS!!!

I went back in there this morning with the filter wrench from the top and grabbed and pushed. Put all my weight into it and held the pressure for 2 minutes and the ***** gave in! I have a huge welt on my palm but the victory was worth it. who said brut force is over rated

btw thanks all for the suggestions! I think what clicked for me where the suggestions about "constant pressure" to loosen the rubber gasket vs pulsating like you would to loosen a frozen bolt.

whew, very relieved, I think I watch every youtube video on this topic and can pay it forward if anyone encounters a similar challenge

Thanks again, this is a great site with a lot of experts!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not yet!
Not Ranked     

Power = energy / time.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats, Art, that's got to be a load off your mind!

Zaphod, I think you mean X not /.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not yet!
Not Ranked     

No, I think I got it right. Had to do a quick wiki search to make sure.

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is expended: energy/time. Not the aggregate amount of energy over a period.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

this thread wouldn't be complete without a picture of the offending party

it almost got the better of me. have never felt better about completing what should have been a very simple process

new filter is on, lubed the gasket and hand tightened 3/4 turn
Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     
Talking

Constant pressure created heat which loosened the rubber grip. Engineers chime in, am I wrong? ...and i know we have engineers
Cripe, that filter looks like a christmas ornament!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default warm it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Thanks Jay, saw your email and will look for the strap tool tomorrow and see if it works. There are two things working against me right now, 1) it seems whatever tool I use seems to just collapse the filter housing because it's crushed like a soda can & 2) there's very limited room to apply any force. The rigidity of the filter is compromised so when I apply torque the weakest areas just crumple without turning so if there was more room I may be able to push through. Hopefully this tool will get close enough to the block and lock in tight

All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated right now !
I take it you did warm the car up befor trying to remove filter
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I use a very large pair of channel locks at times. Never found a filter I couldn't remove this way. Just crush the bajesus outta it! You won't even break a sweat.

Last edited by Ralphy; 02-14-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The HP filters from Ford, Fram, Wix & K&N have heavier material and are less likely to collapse.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
The HP filters from Ford, Fram, Wix & K&N have heavier material and are less likely to collapse.
X2, but they are a good bit tougher to cut open for inpection as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

If none of the above suggestions work, can you get a bicycle chain that has enough clearance to go around the top of the filter and between it and the fuel pump? If so, then bring the ends down to where you can get hold of them and put a small bar through the ends and pull the way it will tighten the chain and be turning the filter to loosen it. We had one that we finally had to take the can part off of and use another method to get broken loose. Some people think that when they put them on, they have to be as tight as they can get them. I just put mine on hand tight and then maybe a quarter of an inch turn with the wrench and have never had a problem.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery