SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mickmate
  • 1 Post By DonC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic427 351w
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield mount question

My older CR windshield shakes upon hitting any and all bumps. I have tightened both outside mounts to the frame via door jamb, access to bolts but still a lot of flexing. This just annoys me to death!
I have notice in viewing pictures of original Cobras, and some of the newer makers, that there is a center mount at bottom of windshield to the dash.
Two questions:

1: does the mount only to the fiberglass dash to wind shield or all the way down to the upper frame member? Any mounting advice would be helpful.

2: anybody know where I can get one?
Thanks
Ken

Last edited by Ohio Ken; 07-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

If it is moving around that much it might break it if you try and hold it in the middle or it could be just the fix. Originals just went through the cowl. I would try that rather than trying to tie it into the frame.
You can find them here.....Center Bracket Windshield [427 289 CSX CCX KMP ACE HT SPF] - $38.00 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you. So I would assume you place it in position, then Mark the holes, then remove windshield and attach to windshield frame, then re-install and place bolts in the cowl?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Yes you can't get a drill under the windscreen to drill the cowl holes so the screen needs removing. The windscreen frame should have the drilled and tapped holes in the bottom center. Usually use a thin strip of rubber between bracket and cowl too.
Ohio Ken likes this.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

ERA uses a center windshield bracket and you might be able to get one from them.
Whatever you go with pay heed to the horror stories about windshield frame screws cracking the windshield. Make absolutely sure the screws in the frame don't contact the glass when the windshield is in the frame. A careful fitting of the bracket to the frame should do it.
The ERA cowl is heavy enough to use sheet metal screws. If you order the bracket from ERA ask Bob what size they use when you order it.
Pre fit the windshield frame without the glass in it but the bracket attached. Check that the bend angle of the bracket is correct and adjust if necessary. Mark, drill and screw the bracket to the body. That way you won't have to be letting the screws create the threads in the fiberglass at the final assembly. On final assembly you can turn the crews counterclockwise and feel them align with the preformed threads. With the glass in the frame you'll have very little room to work. Harbor Freight makes a neat little 1/4 drive ratchet with a set of 4 bits that should get the final mounting done with a minimum of fuss.
DonC
Ohio Ken likes this.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Could part of problem be flex in structure such as seen when going over bump at angle? Or crack in substructure for example. Frame flex?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
Could part of problem be flex in structure such as seen when going over bump at angle? Or crack in substructure for example. Frame flex?
No it is just the windshield, you can flex it slightly by hand in the middle just enough movement that it shakes when you hit bumps. Yet nice and tight toward the outside edges. It is not loose just a bit annoying on some of these ****ty Ohio roads..
Much better since I read about tire pressures on this forum. Tires had 37psi when I bought the car.mlowered the front to 25 psi and the rear to 27 psi. That really improved the ride and shakes . Might even get better when I install all new bushings in the suspention, and switch to coilovers.