SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark IV
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default new CSX build

I am getting a CSX 60xx car and the dealer that am getting it from is not a very good resource for parts needed. The car is pretty "as is" This is a Hi tech South African car, very nice car but not any options installed. I am getting the car for a good price so I am OK with adding options my self.

I will need advice on some issues, I may get some parts from ERA and Kirkham.

1) I will need a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, I like the one that Kirkham sells, a bit pricey at $495 but it looks nice, I am using a Quick time bell housing.

2) I will probably get the Tremmic TKO tranny mount from Kirkham as well $495 for a trans mount ouch...

3) need motor mounts, for an FE again the KMS ones look great but look as if they don't have much flex like a traditional rubber mount, advise?

4) Heater (wife request) I currently have an ERA car and like the heater, may get one from ERA advise?

4) vent kit?

5) Tannoue cover, again the ERA body is almost identical to the CSX and KMS car, I will source this from ERA, any one done this at home? I am very nervous on drilling on a black paint job, is there a template? Peter P at ERA has no Idea.

6) e-brake? I have no idea where to start here. advice?

7) I am using EFI (megasquirt) on a custom made intake manifold from Moorison (8 stack cross ram) I am being told the best set up is to put the fuel pump in the tank. Anyone doing this here? if so advise on what to use? I guess I will need to modify my fuel tank for this. I really want to 42 gallon stainless fuel tank KMS makes but at a $5k price tag I will use the stock one from the CSX car. advise on this?

8) The primary pipes that come with the car look like crap, they are welded in pieces instead of one pipe done with a bender, like the ERA.The side pipes look OK but this is an issue. I am pretty sure the ERA primary pipes will work as the foot wells on the ERA are bigger that the CSX car. I will just need to look at the steering shaft to make sure it will work. The openings on the side look identical. If I am going with the ERA primary pipes I probably just go with the ERA side pipes as well... The one thing I am NOT HAPPY with with the new CSX car is the primary pipes are crap...

9) I would like to add a glove box I need a source for this.

10) side pockets, advise?
Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I am getting a CSX 60xx car and the dealer that am getting it from is not a very good resource for parts needed. The car is pretty "as is" This is a Hi tech South African car, very nice car but not any options installed. I am getting the car for a good price so I am OK with adding options my self.

I will need advice on some issues, I may get some parts from ERA and Kirkham.

1) I will need a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, I like the one that Kirkham sells, a bit pricey at $495 but it looks nice, I am using a Quick time bell housing.

2) I will probably get the Tremmic TKO tranny mount from Kirkham as well $495 for a trans mount ouch...

3) need motor mounts, for an FE again the KMS ones look great but look as if they don't have much flex like a traditional rubber mount, advise?

4) Heater (wife request) I currently have an ERA car and like the heater, may get one from ERA advise?

4) vent kit?
5) Tannoue cover, again the ERA body is almost identical to the CSX and KMS car, I will source this from ERA, any one done this at home? I am very nervous on drilling on a black paint job, is there a template? Peter P at ERA has no Idea.
6) e-brake? I have no idea where to start here. advice?

7) I am using EFI (megasquirt) on a custom made intake manifold from Moorison (8 stack cross ram) I am being told the best set up is to put the fuel pump in the tank. Anyone doing this here? if so advise on what to use? I guess I will need to modify my fuel tank for this. I really want to 42 gallon stainless fuel tank KMS makes but at a $5k price tag I will use the stock one from the CSX car. advise on this?

8) The primary pipes that come with the car look like crap, they are welded in pieces instead of one pipe done with a bender, like the ERA.The side pipes look OK but this is an issue. I am pretty sure the ERA primary pipes will work as the foot wells on the ERA are bigger that the CSX car. I will just need to look at the steering shaft to make sure it will work. The openings on the side look identical. If I am going with the ERA primary pipes I probably just go with the ERA side pipes as well... The one thing I am NOT HAPPY with with the new CSX car is the primary pipes are crap...

9) I would like to add a glove box I need a source for this.

10) side pockets, advise?
1)[color="black"]You can get several setups for the QuickTime and FE, we have fabbed several for QT/FEs and use a Heim joint at the arm

3) You don't want a lot of engine movement as the pipes will contact the body

4) We can supply

5) You need to know if the reinforcing plate is molded into the body. Hi Tech puts a steel piece in the glass that allow use of machine threaded pins for the tonneau as opposed to wood screw types. The machine screws are much superior and hold much better than the screw type. If the car was not ordered with pins and ferrules for the top/ curtains likely the reinforcements are not there.

6) Do the rear calipers have the e-brake provision and arm? We have the lever and brackets
ERA 626 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

9) You'll have to replace the entire dash. I wouldn't try to source it from anyone but SAI to be sure of fit. You could try to cut into yours but you'd have to redo the leatherette covering.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1) For the clutch slave setup get the kit from Mike Forte. It works with the Quicktime. Kirkham billett stuff is beautiful, but you'll never see it so spend your money on something else and just get something that is functional.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-08-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

4a) Heater. Be sure to include the defroster. I never used the heater - the 427 against the firewall did a fine job - but the defroster is essential. If you get caught in a rainstorm the rain flies over your head but the inside of the windshield does fog up.

Is this easily added after the car is built? If you're going to tear into the dash for the glove box it might not be too bad, be sure to leave space for the heat ducts behind the box. The space up there on mine was horribly crowded with the box and ducts and that is where they chose to mount the DFI controller. It was very tight.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
1) For the clutch slave setup get the kit from Mike Forte. It works with the Quicktime. Kirkham billett stuff is beautiful, but you'll never see it so spend your money on something else and just get something that is functional.
This .

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-08-2019, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please let me say this about all of the Kirkham things you've mentioned. You've noticed that they want a pretty good price for their parts. I don't want to be negative, just practical. The world, and especially Shelby American, was building Cobras long before Kirkham started making billet parts and everything you mention is available, even more closer to original, at 1/2 the price or less. I'll agree 100% that they are awesome to look at. But... I admit I caught the disease. I spent a boatload on their radiator overflow tank. It's simply a work of art. But you know what? Even as one of the more visible things Kirkham you can add, I didn't get a nickel more for my car than if I'd just used a tank from Jegs. Please, if you get a smile when looking at things like engine mounts, then by all means, but realize you're doing it for yourself and it won't add value or robustness to your car in the future. It's like all bling things - do it if it pleases you but there are cheaper alternatives and you can use the extra money to put into things that will matter, e.g., reworking the dash for the glove box and heater.

Just my 2c.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

5) Shelby has a tonneau cover, I'd be cautious about sourcing it from anywhere else due to the differences in body shape. I also believe Shelby has a template for the snaps. Mine fit like a glove.

I'd second Mark IV's comment to be sure that the proper backing material is present. If you can't find out from DenBeste how the car was built I can get you a contact at Shelby American that can probably look up the build sheet.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-08-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Old 06-08-2019, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

6) The parking brake isn't included in the roller? That's quite a surprise actually. I'd check with SAI on that one.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
5) Shelby has a tonneau cover, I'd be cautious about sourcing it from anywhere else due to the differences in body shape. I also believe Shelby has a template for the snaps. Mine fit like a glove.

I'd second Mark IV's comment to be sure that the proper backing material is present. If you can't find out from DenBeste how the car was built I can get you a contact at Shelby American that can probably look up the build sheet.
Thank you for your reply, The ERA body shape is identical to the CSX/Kirkham. with regards to the motor mounts, I agree. The tranny mount is a nicly made piece and therefor worth the extra $$ Yes please send me a contact at SAI so they can look up the build sheet.

Can some one send me a link to forte's clutch slave cylinder? Can you send me a photo of your tonneau cover?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, The ERA body shape is identical to the CSX/Kirkham. with regards to the motor mounts, I agree. The tranny mount is a nicly made piece and therefor worth the extra $$ Yes please send me a contact at SAI so they can look up the build sheet.

Can some one send me a link to forte's clutch slave cylinder? Can you send me a photo of your tonneau cover?
My car is long gone and with it the cover, so can't help you.

Use the Forum Search to look for Mike Forte. His contact info will pop up somewhere.

Will PM you the SAI info.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You mean this? Forte Slave Cylinder Bracket With Original Style Frame

… and wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a brand spankin' new ERA custom made to your specifications?
CJ428CJ likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Sorry, duplicate post removed.

Last edited by CompClassics; 06-08-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Having built a few of the CSX4XXX and CSX7XXX Continuation Cobras I can tell you first hand that the Superformance derived rollers are different animals than the "rollers" that were provided by SAI while Shelby American Inc was building and supplying them. Having RECENTLY built a CSX61XX "roller" supplied by Hillbank, I am hoping that the Denbeste supplied "rollers" have had someone that knows what they are doing do the pre-delivery preparation to "roller" status better than what I received for my client. Here are a few things to be aware of that we had issues with:

1) the venting system on the differential and where the vent is attached to on the differential itself

2) axle shaft mounting hardware, do not accept that grade 8 hardware is sufficient

3) the Superformance headers / side pipes are garbage, talk to Redfin about their options (get a credit). Unfortunately I was not aware of this problem until it was to late

4) binding in the steering

5) wire harness chafing issues, blowing fuses

6) just because a component was installed by the factory DO NOT assume that it was done correctly, double or triple check every facet of the build. I can not emphasize this enough!

If you would like any assistance message me and I will be happy to assist you. I have no affiliation with any CSX dealer or distributor. I am a factory trained Porsche Master Technician as well as a trained AP. I restore original Cobras as well as perform repairs to original and replica Cobras as well as most other classic vehicles. Our shop also reproduces parts for classic vehicles, with an emphasis on 289 Cobras. RACEWHERE

Last edited by CompClassics; 06-08-2019 at 10:31 PM..