SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cobragene
  • 1 Post By cobragene
  • 1 Post By Morris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2023, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison FE 428
Not Ranked     
Default Making a wheel hub

I see where the Chevy guys are cutting the rotor off a brake rotor to use just the hub to mount 2 piece hat and rotors to get the dimensions they are looking for, has anyone tried this on an Granada rotor, I can’t find the hubs from a front drum brake car. If I did this mod I thought I could put a couple gussets between the lug flange and bearing hub for added strength, and I am running 15” wheels. I know Wilwood sells this setup for the M2 but it’s costly and where is the fun in that? But maybe the Chevy rotors are more beefy. Any advise is appreciated.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     

I can’t see what this would not work, it’s just a hub with a built in rotor, so remove the rotor. I would do a bunch of measuring on the rotor you want to use, can the remaining hub be turned to the correct size to accept the rotor hat and center it? Will the rotor be slipped over or mounted to the back like some of the old British stuff? Again, I think it is worth a try.

Perhaps he was always a shyster, but we just chose to over look it for awhile.

You build what you like and I will build what I like...it's all good

You know that guy,
The one in the neighborhood who likes to hang around the garage while you are working and talk about back when he had that killer 1977 Chevy Mustang
Old 10-15-2023, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rotor hub that the lugs come through is about the same diameter as the hat ID 5.83”land I can mount the new disc on either side of the hat depending on how it lines up with the caliper
Old 10-16-2023, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ones made by Wilwood are either billet aircraft aluminum, or a steel forging. A standard off-the-shelf rotor is cast iron....probably made in China.

It is one thing when it is integral, but you are putting together pieces, so it is nowhere near as strong. I would be a bit concerned if I was cranking around a corner with that set-up.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go-ogle "mac tilton on top hats for brake rotors". Images and also the write ups.
This is inspiring.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Why?

As said above, stock replacement parts are cast iron. Cutting and welding on cast iron requires some special tools and skills. It's sketchy at best.

"mac tilton on top hats for brake rotors" I did a search on this, and didn't find anything.

" cutting the rotor off a brake rotor to use just the hub to mount 2 piece hat and rotors" I'm having a hard time imagining what this would look like?

Do they use the center part of the rotor, and modify that to use as a hat? Or do they attach the new hat/rotor assembly to the cast iron hub?

And why would you do that? Precision center hats are available for just about everything with wheels.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'v never heard of this, and I'm curious.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-16-2023, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bobcowan, you’re not being an ass. I was looking at it from a cost bases, less the lathe turning it would cost about $100. You would turn the rotor down so it just fits into the new hat, so you would have a hub like front drum brakes, original lugs go through the new hat and retain the tapered wheel bearings, I didn’t consider welding cast iron but I have a professional welder I would consult about that if it’s even needed. I did a search and the Chevy and corvette guys are doing it but using a 1 piece OEM rotor over their turned down rotor/hub to get the diameter they are seeking which if I could find one with the correct diameter and offset I would too. It just occurred to me maybe you’re not familiar with Mustang ll which uses a rotor/ hub combo.
bobcowan likes this.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000049.html Like this!
bobcowan likes this.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I see! very clever. Thanx for the education.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-17-2023, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

If you go to Coleman Racing Products....they will make any size hat to fit any rotor you want or have....

https://colemanracing.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgKZCPD_BwE
eschaider likes this.