SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Default Adding PCV valve to 351W - Side Effects?

I have a 351W (Ford Crate, built by HRE) to which I would like to add a PCV valve. The engine has a dual plane manifold and a Holley 80508 750CFM carburetor. If I install a PCV valve is there anything I will need to change or adjust? Will the mixture lean out so much that I will need to rejet? Will I need to adjust the ignition timing? Anything else?

Thanks, Bob
Old 09-01-2002, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob -

I have the same engine in a SPF.

I bought a breather cap that holds a PCV valve and put it in the passenger side valve cover.

Per the Olthoffs, run the hose from the PCV valve to the vavuum inlet under the carburetor. Your power brake hose is probably mounted there now. Then, remove the plug from the top of the intake manifold, put in a fitting and attach the power brake hose to this new fitting. They told me NOT to put a T fitting in the line to run both to the same vacuum inlet.

No other adjustments needed.

Hope this helps.

Steve
SPF 1116
Old 09-02-2002, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re pcv valve in 351

Bob,

I have a built and stroked 351 and I did the same as Steve above said back in 1996 and have never had a problem of any kind. I drive my car on the streets and also hard at times and it has worked great. and pressure you can get out of the motor is a plus.

Ron61
Ron Widener
Old 09-02-2002, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Ron, which stroker kit do you have? My Windsor still has a stock crank and makes a little over 400HP. 500 sounds better! Is your block modified?

Thanks,
T
Old 09-02-2002, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

PCV per Olthoffs is correct. Motor is supposed to have a PCV. However, if you've tuned carb to run without PCV, and is now getting more air with it, you may need to jet primaries up a size or two. Watch for leaning, or pinging.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Steve.....

Thanks,

I've been meaning to do this for some time. #952 came with two breathers installed. I have the Performer RPM manifold. Any idea what fitting it may take? You saved me a call to Bob & Dennis regarding the proper hose "plumbing"!

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

The threaded opening into the #4 runner is for the power brakes. If manu8al brakes, leave it plugged. If power, get a brass elbow with 3/8" hose on one end, 3/8 pipe on the other.

PCV goes onto 3/8" hose at base of carb. This way, oil vapors and additional air get distributed evenly to all cylinders. You can see how getting this backwards would have all the oil vapors and extra air going only to #4 cylinder. "T" won't work either as it reduces the vacuum available to power booster by the air drawn if through the PCV.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA 351 W
Not Ranked     

What is the benefit to having a PCV out of one valve cover vs. another breather?
Old 09-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default pcv on 351

Allen,

The PCV valve relieves pressure and if you just use a breather you can get oil fumes that will eventually make a mess on the top of the valve cover. We have a man here with a $100k plus Cobra that is now having a PCV installed because of that very thing. I know the people that built my stroker put a PCV valve in it and told me to be sure I keep it clean to take away that pressure. My big block also came from the factory with a PCV valve.

Ron61
Old 09-03-2002, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron61,

Thanks, I had to dispense with the PCV on my 351W when the Webers went on--no place to plug it into the manifold without strangling one cylinder or another. Perhaps there is another way to do it, but if it's largely a cleanliness-of-the-engine-bay issue, I can learn to live with it.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default pcv valve on 351

Allen,

You don't have to worry about the PCV valve with your webbers. If you just take the breather cap off every so often and clean it you won't even get any oil film on your motor or cover. The webbers are enough to keep tuned without trying to use this. Some of the other guys who are running webbers may be able to tell you a way to hook one up but when I had them years ago I never had one.

Ron61
Ron Widener
Old 09-03-2002, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Somewhere around '63, or '64, PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) became standard on virtually all OEM's. Prior to that, engines had road draft tubes to vent oil vapors.

The PCV pulls a vacuum on the crankcase through one valve cover, and fresh air in through a breather the other valve cover. It allows oil vapors to burn, rather than collect inside the engine. Keeps the inside of the engine cleaner.

You can run the engine without it by using another method to vent the crankcase vapors. If the Weber setup has no common plenum or vacuum source, you'll have to find something else.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default You need to have crankcase ventilation

If you don't have a PCV valve, you should have at least a road draft tube set-up.

When I first put the Webers on my Pantera many years ago, I didn't have any place to plug in the PCV valve, so I just put on two breather caps and let it go. Not long after that, I noticed my engine was building up such crankcase pressure that it would pour oil out the rear main at idle!

I fashioned a road draft tube set-up, and attached it to one of the breather caps, and the problem went away.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 09-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re 351 pcv valve

Jeff,

When you made your road draft tube setup just how did you run it ? My 58 Ford with the 332 PI motor had a metal one that came up the back of the engine and plugged into the back of the intake but I can't remember just where. I hadn't thought about making one and running it to one of the breather caps as I now use a carb. and the pcv valve to get rid of the pressure. Your solution could cure what a guy I know is having happen and he refuses to use a pcv valve because the hose looks hokey so he has oil all over.

Ron61
Ron Widener
Old 09-05-2002, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Pardon my confusion. Was there any vacuum on your road draft tube set-up? If not, how would that be more effective than the double breathers, and why do you think the double breathers did not relieve the crankcase pressure?
Old 09-05-2002, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Mine vent away from the engine and are baffled (sp) I get very little oil on the engine and I don't have to worry about the oil vapor knocking down the octane. they also make vacuum pumps for the problem you Webber guys have.

BTW: When I had a PCV plumbed through a 4150 I would build up enough pressure to push the dipstick up. I don't with just breathers. Go figure.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

I use two Chrome K&N breathers. I wipe my motor down each weekend after use anyway. If I see any oil film on my vlave covers I wipe it with a rag dampened with brake clean. I see no detriment to the motor internals as long as you are vented.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I have a pcv valve on the valve cover and runs into the back of my Demon carb. I was pushing a slight bit of oil out of the drivers side breather. Just enough to annoy me. So I installed a remote breather and catch can. I welded on an AN fitting on the valve cover. Now it's dry as a bone. I also installed a filler cap on the passenger side.

Roscoe
Old 09-05-2002, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Makle sure your valve cover has a decent baffle in it otherwise all that oil will get sucked up and burned in the motor instead of just dripping onto the valve cover. Two good breathers (not the fistfull of yarn shoved into a chrome mushroom) will vent all your crankcase pressure just fine, just like most circle track motors have. I really like to connect both valve covers with a metal tube that has two standoffs for the K&N type clamp on breathers.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the good ideas. As a result, I purchased a second open-letter, driver-side valve cover with a baffle and tube from Cobra Automotive (203-284-3863) and will top both tubes with K&N clamp-ons.